Vegas mayor has sights set on Marlins

Accord

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman has his sights set on the Florida Marlins again. He believes the Major League Baseball team would not be a fish out of water in Las Vegas.

Mayor Goodman says he's had several conversations with influential baseball figures about moving the team to the valley. "I think after the NBA All-Star game and they see Las Vegas is really s city made up of great people, just a terrific venue. I think it will be more real than today."

The mayor says he's called the mayor of Miami and wants to talk with him before speaking directly to the Marlins. He adds there are 18 acres set aside for a baseball stadium in a 61-acre plot the city owns near downtown.

http://www.klastv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4165575&nav=168a

:thumbdown

why would gambling in Vegas be any diffrent from gambling in Florida and Missouri ?

all you have to do in Florida is go out on a ship to international waters, I've been several times...

That's different though. These ships that go out and allow gambling are mostly slots and card games. In Vegas, we're talking about betting on scores. That's why you have to worry about a team that makes Vegas their home. How far would some people go to make sure "their" team ends up winning or losing? I just don't see Selig taking that chance.

why would gambling in Vegas be any diffrent from gambling in Florida and Missouri ?

all you have to do in Florida is go out on a ship to international waters, I've been several times...

That's different though. These ships that go out and allow gambling are mostly slots and card games. In Vegas, we're talking about betting on scores. That's why you have to worry about a team that makes Vegas their home. How far would some people go to make sure "their" team ends up winning or losing? I just don't see Selig taking that chance.

I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore. Players make too much money now to worry about them throwing games and such.

By law, people in Nevada cannot bet on any team from Nevada. Hence, if the Marlins move to Las Vegas no one can place a bet on them in Nevada. Can you imagine if the Marlins went to the World Series? No one in Nevada could bet on them. That's a lot of money to be lost for many many people (and that would not be made up by ticket sales or sold hotel rooms, trust me).

He adds there are 18 acres set aside for a baseball stadium in a 61-acre plot the city owns near downtown.

LOL, building a stadium in downtown Las Vegas would be a joke, it's like building a stadium in downtown Ft. Myers. Vegas probably has the sorriest downtown of any city its size, it's dead even during work hours. My suggestion to Las Vegas would be to build a stadium along the strip. Too bad the Las Vegas strip isn't even in Las Vegas city limits, but in unincorporated Clark County.