Marlins payroll figures from Joe Frisaro

Idont Havaname

A few weeks ago, Joe was telling us on MLB.com that the Marlins were taking their payroll down from $65 million to 40. That was before Beckett and Lowell left town. Then his estimate became $30 million. Now that Pierre is gone too, he recently said "possibly under $20 million". That's what, 50% less than the Devil Rays were paid this year?! Do I hear $10 million, or maybe everyone playing for league minimum or else being traded? I know there's all this talk about a youth movement (and only 10 players on the 40-man roster right now are older than 25 - only two are in our pile of pitchers!), but this figure is still crazy.

Here's the link: Girardi prepared for underdog role

So we have about $12-13 million to play with.

I don't know why, but I laughed at that.

Girardi (who - I agree with the previous poster - seems like he really rocks) will probably have to use it to bribe Cabrera into not complaining.

That, and of course, Jeff and David have to buy their houses in Vegas, Portland, San Antonio, Raleigh, Monterrey, Paris, the Moon, and whichever other "candidate cities" are out there.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

So we have about $12-13 million to play with.

I don't know why, but I laughed at that.

Girardi (who - I agree with the previous poster - seems like he really rocks) will probably have to use it to bribe Cabrera into not complaining.

That, and of course, Jeff and David have to buy their houses in Vegas, Portland, San Antonio, Raleigh, Monterrey, Paris, the Moon, and whichever other "candidate cities" are out there.

Big Announcer Voice:

Introducing the starting lineup for yoooooour 2009 LUNAR MODULES!!!

Payroll is now down to around $18M with probably $2M of Villone yet to be traded. That $18M includes $4M of deferred payments. We could end up with an on-field payroll less than $15M when all is said and done. :blink:

We still have to add players to our roster. I bet our payroll will be around $30 million.

Payroll is now down to around $18M with probably $2M of Villone yet to be traded. That $18M includes $4M of deferred payments. We could end up with an on-field payroll less than $15M when all is said and done. :blink:

and that idiot Selig allowed it...SHow some balls Bud and put your foot down as to how low a team can go and still maintain MLB standards on the field

We still have to add players to our roster. I bet our payroll will be around $30 million.

I seriously doubt the Marlins will take on another $12M in payroll. It is apparent Loria is doing all he can to generate as much cash as possible for the next few years.

Didn't he say revenue would equal payroll? If that's the case, we're looking at $30 million+.

Revenue next year would support a $50M payroll........

I suppose. They did say he's been losing over 20 million the last few years, which leads me to believe the break even point is about $40-45 million. I won't say we'll get to $40 million, but we still have like 10 or more roster spots to fill. I say we'll get to $30 million.

NEWS FLASH, we are not going to play with NO MONEY, we are going into this season with what we have, prospects! If we were going to PLAY with any money we would ahve Kept a couple of our guys. Castillo was making peanuts for the best second basemen in the league......guys not trying to ruin anything, but being real here. Relax, we will be fine!