Idle speculation

Marlins2003

It's no secret that I think that Rich Aurilia would be a good fit with the Marlins.

In my estimation his major league experience and his play last season, both offensively and defensively, indicate in 2006 he could really help secure the infield up the middle and provide a sorely needed bat at an affordable price. And it doesn't hurt he can still play shortstop as well as 2B.

I'm assuming the BA article is valid in representing the Marlins view of Uggla as next season's Damion Easley (read, utilityman).

And if Aurilia, faced with no other option than re-signing with the Reds because no team wants to offer up a draft pick for him, does come to an agreement tonight with Cincy before the deadline would all parties be amenable to a trade? What Aurilia wants is playing time and he knows he won't be guaranteed that in Cincinnati.

So the question I pose this morning is whether the pitching starved Reds would consider turning around and trading him for Fulchino or Ungs or Marceaux (not Johnson or Olsen or Volstad or the obvious recently acquired pitching prospects) in lieu of the draft pick the Reds would get if Aurilia signed as a free agent with the Marlins?

Assuming Aurilia winds up signing for somewhere around $2 million he certainly would be a bargain, especially if a) we don't have to give up a draft pick, b) he plays anywhere near as well as he did last season. Then there's the question if free agents can be traded so quickly, one that lingers in the back of my head, but I'll leave that to others to answer.

No doubt some will respond with "hell no, I hate the guy, he sucks" or want to go with Uggla regardless of the consequences seeing 2006 as a rebuilding and try-out year and I respect that argument. In fact I could make the argument for the latter myself.

But if the Marlins do want to be as competitive as they can be in 2006 and perhaps play anywhere near .500 ball for the season, finding a way to bring Aurilia into the fold might now be the worst choice the FO makes.

A couple of recent Rich Aurilia articles:

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...070376/1035/SPT

(This one got me thinking about this whole thing this morning, regarding the Reds need for pitching)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../601080423/1004

Guest Juanky

I'm pretty sure you can't trade a resigned player until June 1st. But besides that, we have a bit of a backlog of players in the middle of the field. We should be looking at options in positions where both our quality and quantity is not as abundant.

We don't need freakin Rich Aurillia. He's no better than what we have.

If any Marlins middle infielder hits .282/.338/.444, that would be amazing. Aurilla's 14 HR last year in 426 AB will probably be more then combined HR totals from Pokey, Hanley, Uggla, Amezaga, and Andino in 06. It's a huge upgrade, but Aurilla can make more money elsewhere and be a very valuable bench player, or even a platoon starter, for the team like the Red Sox. I don't like the idea of having Hanley start so soon, but if that's the direction we are going in, might as well give Andino and Uggla reps at 2B.

We really need to bring in an outfielder more then an Aurilla type though. I think Davanon would be a great fit to platoon in LF/CF. I bet he would come here because he'd be guarenteed more AB then elsewhere and could posture himself for 07 free agency for a better gig.

We don't need freakin Rich Aurillia. He's no better than what we have.

"If any Marlins middle infielder hits .282/.338/.444, that would be amazing. Aurilla's 14 HR last year in 426 AB will probably be more then combined HR totals from Pokey, Hanley, Uggla, Amezaga, and Andino in 06. It's a huge upgrade, but Aurilla can make more money elsewhere and be a very valuable bench player..."

The strong likelihood is that Aurilia signs today before midnight with the Reds, thus fixing his price for 2006. At least that seems to be the opinion of numerous sources reporting on the situation.

And as Juanky opined, I do think, as I said in the thread starter, there may be some prohibition on the Reds trading him before a certain date, I just don't know if in his case it applies since he (and the Reds) went through their dance in October or November, mutually agreeing not to exercise the existing option for 2006.

Here's what I found in the CBA which may apply:

"(6) Miscellaneous

(a) Any Club signing a contract after the expiration of the election

period with a Player under this Section B may not assign his

contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the

foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts

and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June

16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction."

(page 70, CBA)

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

So it appears (at least by my reading, again I'm not holding myself out as an authority or expert) that the player may waive his right to not be traded before June 15, if he does so in writing. Therefore, if Aurilia, seeking more playing time than he's sure to get in Cincy with Freel and Womack onboard, was receptive to such a move, the choice would be his.

For those interested, the free agency portion of the CBA starts on page 65 of the contract (not page 65 of the download where it appears as page 76 because of the table of contents)

Is he a free agent or a player the Reds have?

Assuming you're talking about Aurilia, he's a free agent, still technically tied to the Reds who must sign him by midnight tonight or they cannot re-sign him until May 1, 2006. He may negotiate with any other club but the club signing him would have to give up a draft pick in the 2006 amateur draft to Cincy as compensation. It is the issue of the draft pick that has minimized interest by other clubs in signing him. The local papers in Cincinnati and the Reds' MLB website have both indicated he will probably sign with the Reds today.

What I was suggesting is the Reds go ahead and sign him and then with his permission move him for pitching to a team that has pitching prospects available (the Marlins for example). One could make the argument that Cincy, so desperate for pitching, would rather take a more developed player or players than take a prospect next June as compensation who might take three to five years to mature into a bonafide MLer. At least in taking an Ungs or Fulchino or fillintheblank (see above) you are receiving players who have some credentials and are much closer to contributing at the major league level.

But as I said, this is all idle speculation on my part.

May I also say, what this love affair with Jeff DaVanon is all about is beyond me. You look at the guys the Marlins have picked up off the trash heap in Helms, Borowski, Reese and Olivo, and at least they've shown enough either offensively or defensively so to make a rational argument for their acquisition, but Jeff DaVanon is a no hit, no field one dimensional (speed) player who hardly seems worth a looksee.

May I also say, what this love affair with Jeff DaVanon is all about is beyond me. You look at the guys the Marlins have picked up off the trash heap in Helms, Borowski, Reese and Olivo, and at least they've shown enough either offensively or defensively so to make a rational argument for their acquisition, but Jeff DaVanon is a no hit, no field one dimensional (speed) player who hardly seems worth a looksee.

What?

Offensively, Davanon has the highest career OPS of Helms (barely), Reese, Olivo, and Amezaga, our FA pickups, and is a serious upgrade over anything no-potential Aguila or Reed will bring us in CF. Davanon is a patient hitter, he walks. He has a career OBP of .348 (2005 he had a .347), which is very solid, and he switch hits. I doubt Aguila or Reed break a .300 OBP with regular playing time. Davanon also has speed and a little bit of pop, shown in 2003. According to everything I know about him, he is a streak player. Remember when he hit 6 HR in 3 games a few years ago? Having regular playing time could be good for him and let him see the ball better to improve on the batting average. He could easily be a .350 OBP/10 HR OF for this team in 400 AB between CF and spelling the corners. That is a substantial upgrade over the two putz they have in the OF right now, and you could even hit Davanon lead off with that OBP considering what else this team has. Defensively, Davanon's career zone ratings, range factors, fielding percentage, scouts opinions, and every other concievable angle to judge fielding all say at a minimum, he is a solid/serviceable outfielder and does not outright hurt you. No field?

Besides that, the Marlins flat out need a veteran outfielder. Just how Helms can hit lefites, backup Jacobs, and play a little 3B/LF, how Olivo can split time with Willingham so the organization can see if he is a long term answer at catcher, and how Pokey can help out the middle infield positions, they REALLY REALLY need a veteran outfielder that can play all three spots, to help the kids. This of course is assuming, they do not trade for Gathright. Because Joey fixes all the problems with position players and the lineup as well.

I guess we'll have to diasgree about Aguila's skillset (you won't see me touting Reed's potential), but by any measure Jeff DaVanon was a total bust in 2005. DaVanon will be lucky to sign a minor league contract and spend the season pining away in the PCL. He's failed every time he was given a chance to succeed. He can take a walk, I'll give him that, which is the sole reason his OBP is as high as it was (52 hits, 39 BB in '05 with a glorious 2 HRs), but outside of that, even his most argent supporters (see: http://watchjeffdavanon.blogspot.com/) admit he failed at every turn.

I guess we'll have to diasgree about Aguila's skillset (you won't see me touting Reed's potential), but by any measure Jeff DaVanon was a total bust in 2005. DaVanon will be lucky to sign a minor league contract and spend the season pining away in the PCL. He's failed every time he was given a chance to succeed. He can take a walk, I'll give him that, which is the sole reason his OBP is as high as it was (52 hits, 39 BB in '05 with a glorious 2 HRs), but outside of that, even his most argent supporters (see: http://watchjeffdavanon.blogspot.com/) admit he failed at every turn.

It was a down year for sure, but if what you say is true and all he is, is a minor league invite. What a potential bargain. They should be all over that. Even if the power doesn't come back and he hits sub .250 again, but he walks his way to a .348 OBP and provides a little speed and solid defense, he is worth signing. I can live with an OF of Hermida, then platoons in CF of Davanon/Aguila, and in LF of Aguila/Willingham/Davanon. Aguila will still get 400+ AB and a chance to prove himself if they bring in another OF. The whole idea is to get Eric Reed out of any sort of substantial playing time, and just having a veteran around that at worst, he is a MLB player. They need a fallback in OF, specifically CF, just how they have Helms, Pokey, and Olivo.

Quick breakdown, assuming all the OF spots get 650 AB and the bring in Davanon, or a veteran OF like him.

Hermida 650

Aguila 400

Davanon/Free Agent 400

Willingham 250

Helms/Reed/Cabrera/Abercrombie/Whoever 250

I think part of my thought process is, a lot of people believe Willingham is going to play LF exclusively. If this is true, sure Aguila/Reed can platoon out in CF. I trust Willingham's ability to produce offense so only 1 OF spot has a big question mark. I think the Marlins are going to work him at catcher a lot though, and see if they have something there more longterm. This obviously opens up the OF, and right now, I see left to right Reed, Aguila, and Hermida opening day. Maybe Helms in LF, but again, he is still not a true outfielder and they need someone who can platoon, and bail out Aguila/Reed in CF if need be.

I can be wrong but with our collective pitching ERA about to go through the roof (not a put-down of anyone, but rather something I see as an inevitability) I suspect we'll see a lineup that has the best potential to score runs and not necessarily the best defensive lineup.

That's one of the reason's I'd like to see Aurilia with the team. And the main reason I think you'll probably not see Reed or Davanon in the lineup. I laughed when people brought up playing Hermida in center a month or so ago but I no longer think it's out of the relm of possibility.

I think that Girardi comes out of spring training looking to score seven runs opening day at PPS. If that means Helms starts in left or Willingham or fillintheblank my crystal ball is failing me.

Hey, if Davanon gets a minor league invite and sets the world on fire in spring training no one will have to say I was wrong because I'll be the first one to say so.

BTW, Aurilia just signed (reported 9:45pm) a one year deal with the Reds for $1.3 million with another mutual option for 2007 for $2 million. "Aurilia's deal contains a $2 million mutual option for 2007. If he has 400 plate appearances this year, a $100,000 buyout would kick in if the option is declined. If he has 450 plate appearances, the buyout amount would increase to $200,000." (CNNSI)

At that price he's a steal.

Man, I know some disagree but if I was Admin Beinfest I'd be on the phone tomorrow working out a trade that made Rich our starting second baseman. From A to AAA we have pitching up the wazoo and I wouldn't mind sending a couple Cincy's way for the guy.

From MLB.com

Aurilia, 34, last season led the Reds in hitting with runners in scoring position (.343), and overall hit .282 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games. ... He led the club with 64 starts at second base, but also started at shortstop (29 games) and third base (14 games). ... After he returned from a hamstring injury suffered in May, Aurilia hit .306 the rest of the season, including .315 after the All-Star break and .348 in September/October.

I've let it known that I'm a big Rich Aurilia fan.. He was one of my favorite Giants when he was in San Francisco. When I saw he was a free agent a couple of months ago, I brought his name up as well. I was really hoping Beinfest would get something done...

Hanley Ramirez still needs another year in the minors, according to several reports I've read on him. If Pokey Reese is healthy, a DP combo of Aurilia and Reese would be respectable... I'm with you Marlins2003, I hope Beinfest is on the phone with Cincy tomorrow morning.

Marlins_Giants, I know this is pure fantasy on my part and nothing will probably come of it, but you know when you put the pieces together, giving to getting for both teams - and as importantly for Aurilia who wants more than anything to play everyday - it seems to me this could be win-win for all concerned.

He has anywhere near the year he had last year and the Fish have for all intents and purposes replaced Castillo for a third the cost. Those June through September numbers he put up sure would be a big help to this team in '06.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing out on Aurillia.. thats for sure.

I'm curious.. what were Aurillia's stats away from the Great American Bandbox last year?

I hate to ruin your parade 2003, but that is a really good point I hadn't bothered looking at.

Home 214 AB, .332/.380/.561, 31/18 K/BB, 11 HR

Away 212 AB, .231/.296/.325, 36/19 K/BB, 3 HR

So pretty much, he kept the same plate discipline home/away, but managed to hit 100 points less on the road, with less power. Talk about a product of a ballpark. Aurilla had a higher OPS at home then Chase Utley did all season. That's how skewed his numbers are.

Well...

Reds re-signed infielder Rich Aurilia to a one-year, $1.3 million contract with a $2 million mutual option for 2007.

The Reds' roster is better with Aurilia on it. However, the lineup still works best with Ryan Freel at second base and batting leadoff. It this means more outfield time for Freel at the expense of Wily Mo Pena or Austin Keanrs, it might not be such a good thing. On the other hand, it does turn Tony Womack into an afterthought, which is simply great news for Reds fans. Jan. 8 - 9:57 pm et

Source: Cincinnati Post

c/o Rotoworld

Well...

Reds re-signed infielder Rich Aurilia to a one-year, $1.3 million contract with a $2 million mutual option for 2007.

The Reds' roster is better with Aurilia on it. However, the lineup still works best with Ryan Freel at second base and batting leadoff. It this means more outfield time for Freel at the expense of Wily Mo Pena or Austin Keanrs, it might not be such a good thing. On the other hand, it does turn Tony Womack into an afterthought, which is simply great news for Reds fans. Jan. 8 - 9:57 pm et

Source: Cincinnati Post

c/o Rotoworld

Hmmm... could Wily Mo Pena or Austin Kearns be available now? If so, I would want to go after Wily Mo. The problem is that Wily Mo plays RF... I guess maybe we could move Hermida to CF to accomodate Wily Mo. As 2003 said above, we're probably trying to get as much offense right now given that our pitchers will give up so many runs.

This lineup isn't bad at all:

1. HanRam

2. Willy

3. Hermida

4. Cabrera

5. Jacobs

6. Wily Mo

7. Olivo

8. Reese

That lineup isn't bad at all, especially if Olivo and Reese have come back type years. The problem would be that HanRam might not be MLB ready, let alone ready to bat leadoff.

BTW, Aurilia just signed (reported 9:45pm) a one year deal with the Reds for $1.3 million with another mutual option for 2007 for $2 million. "Aurilia's deal contains a $2 million mutual option for 2007. If he has 400 plate appearances this year, a $100,000 buyout would kick in if the option is declined. If he has 450 plate appearances, the buyout amount would increase to $200,000." (CNNSI)

At that price he's a steal.

Man, I know some disagree but if I was Admin Beinfest I'd be on the phone tomorrow working out a trade that made Rich our starting second baseman. From A to AAA we have pitching up the wazoo and I wouldn't mind sending a couple Cincy's way for the guy.

From MLB.com

Aurilia, 34, last season led the Reds in hitting with runners in scoring position (.343), and overall hit .282 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games. ... He led the club with 64 starts at second base, but also started at shortstop (29 games) and third base (14 games). ... After he returned from a hamstring injury suffered in May, Aurilia hit .306 the rest of the season, including .315 after the All-Star break and .348 in September/October.

why in the hell would we send prospects to cincy for a 34yr old player who won't be any good at all once we are ready to compete?

1. HanRam

2. Willy

3. Hermida

4. Cabrera

5. Jacobs

6. Wily Mo

7. Olivo

8. Reese

That lineup isn't bad at all, especially if Olivo and Reese have come back type years. The problem would be that HanRam might not be MLB ready, let alone ready to bat leadoff.

I think that lineup is awful. 1, 6, 7, and 8 would all have around .300 or sub .300 OBP. Pena would hit some bombs, but who cares when you are producing that many outs. Also, they'd have to give up a good pitcher for Pena just because scout's like his power. I'm not willing to do that. They need an OF badly, but I don't know if it's Pena, or now arbitration eligible, Kearns.