March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything...
March 5, 200620 yr Be careful of how much weight you put into these spring performances. OMGNunez, anyone?
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything...Difference: Abercrombie is doing it in the beginning of games while Nu?ez did it at the end.
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything...Difference: Abercrombie is doing it in the beginning of games while Nu?ez did it at the end. Don't blow holes in my Nunez comparison with logic!
March 5, 200620 yr The Rays are gonna want someone to move into their starting rotation on Opening Day for Gathright.....or they'll just keep him.
March 5, 200620 yr Then they can keep him.....even though pretty much anyone would fit in their rotation as long as he can pitch. Bonus points if he happens to pitch with his left arm.
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Personally, I think Aguila is gonna end up starting opening day. He is our best current option, as frightening as that sounds.
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything... I can think of a few older prospects that have never done anything, yet some think hes the second coming
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything... I can think of a few older prospects that have never done anything, yet some think hes the second coming you really dont have a clue, do you?
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything... I can think of a few older prospects that have never done anything, yet some think hes the second coming you really dont have a clue, do you? I just dont see the same promise that you do, or any promise for that matter.
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything... I can think of a few older prospects that have never done anything, yet some think hes the second coming you really dont have a clue, do you? I just dont see the same promise that you do, or any promise for that matter. haha... to each their own... no point in me talking smack about him to you, because you just dont get it hopefully his play on the field makes you a believer
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Personally, I think Aguila is gonna end up starting opening day. You are in a severely small minority...Aguila has some ability but he is a 4th or 5th outfielder at best
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Shades of 2004 and another older "prospect" who's never done anything... I can think of a few older prospects that have never done anything, yet some think hes the second coming you really dont have a clue, do you? I just dont see the same promise that you do, or any promise for that matter. haha... to each their own... no point in me talking smack about him to you, because you just dont get it hopefully his play on the field makes you a believer Abercrombie is making a case for himself in Spring trainging he has had a a sizzling start let's see if he maintains consistency in his performance...I like the guy...and the comparison with Preston Wilson is not so far fetched except Wilson has 40-45 hrs type of power...I think Abercrombie could hit 20- 22 hrs
March 5, 200620 yr Preston Wilson has never hit 40 HR. Anyway, Abercrombie deserves a look and he's doing it so far, but I just have a hard time getting excited about him due to his extended struggles in the minors until he was just older than everyone. I hope I'm wrong and he lives up to what were once very highly thought of tools.
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Personally, I think Aguila is gonna end up starting opening day. I tend to agree. Not that he's the most talented, but he probably has the least amount of holes in his game.
March 5, 200620 yr News: The Rays agreed to one-year contracts with the following players: catcher Kevin Cash, pitchers Tim Corcoran, Jason Hammel, Carlos Hines, Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Seth McClung, Chad Orvella, Chris Seddon, Brian Stokes, Jon Switzer and Doug Waechter, infielders Nick Green and B.J. Upton and outfielders Jonny Gomes, Damon Hollins andJoey Gathright . We need to go after him now thta he has a deal on the deal signed!
March 5, 200620 yr We've got weeks (post WBC) before this decision has to be made and I'll be the first to admit I follow Gathright everyday without fail in the two TB area daily newspapers and on at least the same number of DRays messageboards, but I remain unconvinced Olsen is the guy we want to trade. In the end we may have to but let's hope we can find a better way to fill the need for a MLB ready CFer. So far, and admittedly it's only been three games, Gathright has not set the world on fire, and the Rays have medical issues that may not let them trade him before spring training is over. I keep wondering (and this is where someone jumps in and says the Rays would never make the trade) if the Rays want Olsen so badly and he has an impressive spring, they'd be willing to trade Gomes, who would play right and Hermida slides into CF. A crazy notion to be sure, lots of fans for both teams would take issue with it, but I'd like to see Hermida tried out in CF this spring to see if he has the speed and skillset to play the position (I think he does) as a possible answer to filling out our outfield.
March 5, 200620 yr Let me be the first to tell you.....the Rays aren't trading Gomes. They are gonna trade Huff this year and Gomes will be needed to replace the power lost.
March 5, 200620 yr Let me be the first to tell you.....the Rays aren't trading Gomes. They are gonna trade Huff this year and Gomes will be needed to replace the power lost. Gee, there's a surprise. :whistle And you are hardly the first...
March 5, 200620 yr LOL, one spring training HR and Abercrombie owns the CF spot. Personally, I think Aguila is gonna end up starting opening day. You are in a severely small minority...Aguila has some ability but he is a 4th or 5th outfielder at best I agree with the bolding. I don't think believing Aguila starting is a minority viewpoint. He's the best OF we have besides Hermida. That's just a fact? Reed is a AAA player, Abercrombie is a AA player. Cepicky and Little are career minor leaguers. Aguila is going to be starting in CF opening day, and if Willingham is catching, he'll be in LF with probably Reed in center.
March 5, 200620 yr Willingham should play LF. Aguila will be the worst starting LF in baseball if he plays there, and Olivo would not be the worst hitting catcher if he started. Where is the common sense here?
March 5, 200620 yr Other CF names from today's Sun-Sentinel - ...the Marlins are willing to trade one of their surplus young pitchers for an affordable center fielder with plenty of upside to add to their nucleus. Any such trade would most likely occur late in spring training. Gathright is among several outfielders the Marlins would consider. Others who may be available: Jeremy Reed, Endy Chavez, Freddy Guzman, Luis Terrero, Tike Redman and Willy Taveras. If the Marlins want to splurge, Cincinnati's Wily Mo Pena is signed for $1.25 million and will be arbitration-eligible the next two seasons. I have confidence that Beinfest & Hill will make the right move. Just give it some time...things will work themselves out. :thumbup
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.