California city bans smoking in public places

OldSand

Were all of you concieved with a weak sperm or what? You act like second hand smoke makes it so you can't walk away, or like there aren't non-smoking sections.

The "you freedom ends at my doorstep" argument doesn't work. Outside of your doorstep is the world and public space. Which means in public space you SHOULD be able to smoke, listen to loud music, whatever. If others get annoyed they can go to other public spaces. Oh, but let me guess, it's so hard moving five feet away from the smoker and out of radius of the smoke? Oh noes, the wind, the WIIIIIND! HALP!

I don't know. I just don't get how you can limit someone elses freedom when you have the option of not being around the type of freedom they express. But, that's the point the people on the side of smokers have been rationally arguing for.

Enjoy sucking on your cancer sticks, but do it away from me. California's restaurant ban of smoking is great. Can you smokers not give up your cancer sticks for 2 damned hours when a majority of the people at the restaurant don't want to be in the presence of or smell your nasty habit?

There are times when I feel like their smoke is violating my personal space.

Exactly.

No, because at dinner is the perfect time to light up. Trust me.

Personally I find the smell of cigarettes very unpleasant. That's why I don't smoke them, I smoke a mother f***ing pipe. I bet your pansy asses that you'd want another whiff of my pipe smoke once you got the first sniff.

Guest Juanky

Any question of liberty, no matter how small, is an important one.

Like I said earlier, our system is based on the premise that we're allowed to do anything we want unless it's expressly denied for a legitimate reason by the government.

Your rights end at my front door. This has ALWAYS been the case.Yes of course. But a smoker is not infringing on your rights soley because you are not in any way, shape, or form forced to be around their smoke as they puff away.

By the way, there is a way to make an arguement against this law without ridiculing the people who are put off by the smoke.

I've made two questionable comments at the most. But, I'm skeptical that everyone here is "sick to their stomach" by the smell of cigarettes, so... There's that. Don't take it as too insulting.

That being said, I've heard the same arguments again and again from the non-smoking contingent. And when what you're saying limits our freedom and causes even more strict, bulls*** legislation to be put in later down the line, you're damn right I take offense.

This country was founded on the idealogy that liberty was the most important thing to a citicizenship. And now people are peeing on that and wanting Big Brother to come in and legislate on their behalf because they don't like something. I don't like a lot of things and yet people should have the right to do it.

Enjoy sucking on your cancer sticks, but do it away from me. California's restaurant ban of smoking is great. Can you smokers not give up your cancer sticks for 2 damned hours when a majority of the people at the restaurant don't want to be in the presence of or smell your nasty habit?

Exactly.

No, it's not. Do it in your own home. Do you want me to sit next to you and blow terrible gas every 5 seconds? It's the same principle. Well, at least my gas wouldn't slowly kill you.

Exactly.

No, it's not. Do it in your own home. Do you want me to sit next to you and blow terrible gas every 5 seconds? It's the same principle. Well, at least my gas wouldn't slowly kill you.

What the f*** kind of restaurant do you go to that doesn't have a non-smoking section? And even the smoking sections have smoke-eaters, fans, and things like that.

And if you think second-hand smoke will slowly kill you, you better not use your cell phone because it causes brain cancer. In other words, I got a bridge to sell.

The "you freedom ends at my doorstep" argument doesn't work. Outside of your doorstep is the world and public space. Which means in public space you SHOULD be able to smoke, listen to loud music, whatever.

You're right. Your freedom doesn't end at my front door - it ends at the tip of my nose. That?s the law. As a matter of fact, loud music IS against the law - they call it "disturbing the peace."

If others get annoyed they can go to other public spaces. Oh, but let me guess, it's so hard moving five feet away from the smoker and out of radius of the smoke?

Is it so hard for a SMOKER to move the five feet and step outside for their smoke? If you?re CHOOSING to smoke, then what?s the big deal about understanding that you do it outside?

If I CHOOSE to take a dump, I try not to do it at the dinner table. I understand that there?s a designated place I need to go to when I feel that urge.

Likewise, when I want to throw one into my hot fianc?, I typically don?t do it in a public place. As hot as that would be, it is against the law. Something about morals and such?

I don't know. I just don't get how you can limit someone elses freedom when you have the option of not being around the type of freedom they express. But, that's the point the people on the side of smokers have been rationally arguing for.

I agree 100%. How can you limit someone else?s freedoms like that? I mean, what kind of a bone head would walk into a restaurant and sit at a table next to a family with kids and light up? I mean, how rude? That smoker is TOTALLY impinging on that family?s ability to enjoy the rest of their meal in a safe and smoke free environment. You have me convinced, Buckeye ? smokers are evil! :thumbup

What the f*** kind of restaurant do you go to that doesn't have a non-smoking section?

Good point. The smoke knows the rules and stays out of the no-smoking section... :mischief

As far as the economic impact goes, I live in a state where smoking was made illegal in bars and restaurants several years ago. For a period of 6-8 months, there was a lot of complaining by smokers about THEIR rights and blah blah blah. Business was slow while smokers ate at home in protest. Then, it was all over and business actually increased. I'll see if I can find the article with the study that showed a 9% increase in restaurant/bar patronage less than 2 years following the smoking ban.

Let's face it, the government doesn't care about your health. They make lots of money off your sin tax. The government DOES care about economic prosperity, and that's why more and more states are looking at the smoking ban.

Also, I notice that no one addressed my point about people being allergic to smoke and the health risks therein.

Case closed.

I said it was silly to ban smoking in public OUTDOOR places (which is what this community has done). No beef with banning indoor smoking. Smelling smoke while I eat bothers the hell out of me too. But to say people shouldn't be allowed to smoke at a park because the smell bothers you is crazy....walk away! That "but the wind" comment took the cake! :D

I think someone who smokes must have read my comments here, because earlier this evening, when i was walking around campus after dinner, some guy smoking a cigarette walked by me on the sidewalk and blew a big cloud of smoke in my face.

But I guess I should have jumped out of the way, according to some people here.

Guest Juanky

That guy was an a**hole, big deal. There isn't a contract you sign when you buy your first pack of cigarettes that says you have to be an a**hole and blow it in someone's face. There are dicks that smoke, and equally dickish people who don't. Doesn't change anything.

I think someone who smokes must have read my comments here, because earlier this evening, when i was walking around campus after dinner, some guy smoking a cigarette walked by me on the sidewalk and blew a big cloud of smoke in my face.

Just because there's one a**hole that does that does not mean that every smoker should lose their right of smoking outdoors.

Nobody that smokes a cigarette can blow a "big cloud" - now, pipe smokers on the other hand...