Red Sox showing interest in Wily Mo Pena

Junior

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility. Mar. 19 - 4:34 pm et

Per Rotoworld

Wily can hit the ball a long way, he just needs to show more patience.

Last season, in 311 AB's, he walked only 20 times while striking out 116 times. In 2004, it was 336 AB/22BB/108K.

Would be a good acquisition though for the Sox, they can work with him on the patience.

FORT MYERS, Fla. … (AP) … The Boston Red Sox traded right-handed pitcher Bronson

Arroyo to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Wily Mo Pena on Monday.

Arroyo was 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA last season. He was part of a deep group of Red Sox

starters and had taken a home-team discount when he signed a three-year contract worth

$11.25 million on Jan. 19.

Pena batted .254 with 19 homers and 51 RBIs last season and struck out 116 times with

20 walks. A 24-year-old right-handed hitter, he could play right field instead of lefty

Trot Nixon when left-handers pitch against Boston.

Without the 29-year-old Arroyo, Boston still has Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Josh

Beckett, Matt Clement, David Wells and Jon Papelbon as starters. Arroyo, who pitched

five shutout innings Monday after struggling in his first three exhibition appearances,

was expected to start the season in the bullpen.

Arroyo had career highs last year with 14 wins, 32 starts and 205 1-3 innings

pitched.

In the past four seasons, Pena batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI with the Reds.

Guess what? Admin Beinfest rejected last year a Bronson Arroyo and Anibal Sanchez for A.J Burnett trade last year. Many of you in this board where against trade also saying that Arroyo is a scrub etc...anyways nothing we can do now.

at the time Burnett had just won 7 games in a row and we were 2 games out of the wild card lead. At the time i still would have made the same call Beinfest did. Hindsight is 20/20

Arroyo must be pissed, he took a discount to stay with the Sox, his agent said he was stupid. Sox stabbed him in the back.

I thought the same thing.

He shouldn't be too pissed, he came here after being DFA'd and with a career that was rotting in AAA. He left here with a new contract, a ring, and the start of his music career. I don't feel too bad for him. I'm looking forward to his comments following this to really form an opinion though.

That said, OMGabe's chances of making the 25 man just took a hit.

Arroyo must be pissed, he took a discount to stay with the Sox, his agent said he was stupid. Sox stabbed him in the back.

He shouldn't be too pissed, he came here after being DFA'd and with a career that was rotting in AAA. He left here with a new contract, a ring, and the start of his music career. I don't feel too bad for him. I'm looking forward to his comments following this to really form an opinion though.

True but he could have left with a contract with an extra $1 mill a year guaranteed.

I don't follow the Red Sox too closely, but wasn't there a gentleman's agreement that Arroyo wouldn't be dealt during the first year of his contract given the overwhelming discount he gave to Boston?

I recall hearing something to that extent...

True but he could have left with a contract with an extra $1 mill a year guaranteed.

Who's to say if he had stuck with his agent's guns, he would have stayed with the Sox either way?

That should also be thought out too.

ya but the reds had 7 million outfielders.

they are in desperate need for pitching.

they almost had to do this deal.

Kinda of like the Devil Rays right :whistle

Ya and the sooner the Devil Rays realize that they arent getting a super stud for one of their castaways the sooner they can make a deal.

Guest Guest

Good trade for Boston. Wouldn't of minded Mo Pena here, but oh well.

At least they are slightly improving their rotation in Cincinnati, with Arroyo and Dave Williams.

I'll miss Bronson.

Another one of the 25 gone.

That said, the Sox got a helluva deal in this one.

You say that now. You will get tired of Wily Mo striking out all the time. Hopefully he plays everyday, and does well for you though. I like this move for the Reds.

When aren't the Reds taken to the cleaners?

When they traded Jose Guillen to the A's for Aaron Harang.

I'll miss Bronson.

I think the Sox took the Reds to the cleaners on this one.

Willy could turn out to be an offensive monster, Bronson will always be a 3-5 rotation type pitcher

Pena had a .305 OBP and struck out 116 times in 90 games last year. He is a home run monster, who does nothing else.

I'll miss Bronson.

You say that now. You will get tired of Wily Mo striking out all the time. Hopefully he plays everyday, and does well for you though. I like this move for the Reds.

I'll miss Bronson.

Willy could turn out to be an offensive monster, Bronson will always be a 3-5 rotation type pitcher

Pena had a .305 OBP and struck out 116 times in 90 games last year. He is a home run monster, who does nothing else.

you forgot to mention that he is only 24.

I'll miss Bronson.

I'll miss Bronson.

you forgot to mention that he is only 24.

Yeah, we also have one of the best outfielders in the game (Griffey), a 25 year old outfielder (Kearns), a 26 year old outfielder (Dunn), our minor player of the year (Chris Denorfia) was an outfielder that is 25. And oh yeah the #2 player in our minor league system is an outfielder (Jay Bruce). Not to mention the fact that Ryan Freel can play the outfield.

I think you get my point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.