Oh Boy Andino Upset after Demotion

My3Username

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/14194886.htm

MARLINS NOTEBOOKShortstop Andino, upset with demotion, leaves camp

The Marlins moved closer to setting their Opening Day roster Sunday, optioning infielders Robert Andino and Jason Stokes and pitcher Travis Bowyer to Triple A Albuquerque (N.M.) and reassigning outfielder Mark Little and catcher Ryan Jorgensen to minor-league camp.

But after learning he was being sent down in a morning meeting with manager Joe Girardi and general manager Admin Beinfest, Andino left camp in a huff, his agent said.

''He's having a hard time with it,'' said Michael Maulini, Andino's Miami-based representative. ``He's very upset. He doesn't understand the whole thing. He felt like all along he wouldn't get a fair shot to win the job.''

The Marlins started the spring with rookie Hanley Ramirez as their likely Opening Day shortstop, and Ramirez has done nothing to change their minds, hitting .339 and leading the team with 14 runs. However, Andino, who played at Miami's Southridge High School, was almost as productive, hitting .325 in 40 at-bats after struggling in a 17-game trial with the Marlins last fall.

''He proved he can play in the big leagues. He proved he belongs,'' said Maulini, who talked with Andino on Sunday afternoon and said his player would be back in camp today.

''He's got to deal with it,'' he added. ``It's just part of the game.''

Girardi said the decision to send Andino down was a difficult one.

But with Ramirez expected to play every day, the club preferred to have the 21-year-old Andino playing in the minors rather than sitting on the bench in the majors.

''It was really hard sending Robert down. And I told him it was just a small bump in the road,'' Girardi said. ``I believe that Robert's a big-league ballplayer. But right now we're going to start with Hanley.

``Everything we heard about [Ramirez], he was a complete player. There really wasn't anything he couldn't do.''

Sunday's five roster moves leave the Marlins seven players over the Opening Day limit of 25 with a week left in spring training.

TOUGH CUTS

Although Girardi said he found the meeting with Andino particularly difficult, he said the decision to send any player down has been emotional.

''There's a lot of tough cuts, and they're not fun,'' the first-time manager said. ``I don't enjoy it, and I usually get a headache that day. Because you don't forget what it's like. And how bad you want to be here.''

Girardi said he still remembers the first time he was sent down when he thought he belonged in the majors. It was 1989, and Girardi made the Chicago Cubs' roster out of spring training because regular catcher Damon Berryhill was hurt. But when Berryhill returned from the disabled list, Girardi was farmed out.

''It broke my heart,'' he said. ``I never thought there was an easy way for a manager to do it. It's just a tough part of the job. Especially if you played. Because you know what your dreams were like. Your dreams were about being a big-league player.''

BOWYER'S CHANCES

Bowyer's demotion to Triple A might have moved hard-throwing right-hander Carlos Martinez a step closer to a roster spot in the bullpen, a big jump for a pitcher who has thrown just three innings above Single A.

''He's done nothing but impress us,'' Girardi said of Martinez, a 24-year-old Venezuelan. ``Every time he goes out, he gets outs. He's down in the zone with all his pitches. His innings have been as easy as anyone here.''

Martinez has appeared in five games, throwing 5 2/3 scoreless innings and giving up just one hit. But if he sticks in the majors, he might have to reduce his repertoire from the four pitches he throws now.

''A lot of times bullpen guys narrow their pitches down,'' Girardi said in reference to Martinez, who was 12-23 with 38 saves and a 3.27 ERA in five minor-league seasons. ``I'm sure as he gets further along in his trade he won't be a four-pitch pitcher. But so far he's proven that he can throw all his pitches over at any time, so why would we take one away from him?''

email thisprint this

Does Andino think he should be starting over Hanley Ramirez? Would he rather sit on the bench all the time? This way he can spend some time in AAA, learn 2B maybe & prove even more valuable to the club with a little versatility. He's had a nice spring & so I feel for the guy, but c'mon man. You weren't going to be starting over one of the top prospects in baseball.

Robert Andino - SS - Marlins

Upset with being sent to the minors, Robert Andino reportedly left Marlins camp Sunday.

Andino apparently thinks that 40 good at-bats in spring training outweighs years of sub par performances in the minors. The Marlins disagreed, which is why Hanley Ramirez made the team instead. Mar. 27 - 10:22 am et

Source: Miami Herald

matches my sentiments exactly.

Someone (maybe Cambridge Marlin) in another thread mentioned that with a family, the MLB minimum looks alot better to a young father as does being a heartbeat away from being in the starting lineup even if you open the season as the team's utility infielder.

People shouldn't minimize how much pride may have played a factor in his actions after being told. He played well this spring and had a taste fulfilling his life long dream of making it to the bigs. It may not matter to him right that in the long run going down and becoming a first rate second baseman will make it easier for him to ultimately be a major leaguer with a long career, so strong are the emotions surrounding being told "you didn't make it" and the obvious implied rejection of his abilities.

I'm willing to wait and see how this all plays out for the guy before I join the naysayers. Hopefully he channel his feelings of rejection into something positive for himself and the team.

well said, 2003. i couldn't agree more. i know i would be heartbroken if i were in his position, especially with having to provide for a family. i like the kid. i hope he uses this as motivation and comes out and destroys aaa, plays some 2b, and then rejoins the big club as the 2b.

I don't have a problem with his frustration, but I agree with the decision. Besides, I don't think he's tofar off from making the club anyway. And really, if he's so concerned about making money for his family why did he slack during the AFL? Explain that one.

Robert Andino - SS - Marlins

Upset with being sent to the minors, Robert Andino reportedly left Marlins camp Sunday.

Andino apparently thinks that 40 good at-bats in spring training outweighs years of sub par performances in the minors. The Marlins disagreed, which is why Hanley Ramirez made the team instead. Mar. 27 - 10:22 am et

Source: Miami Herald

matches my sentiments exactly.

but ... but ... 2nd base ... but ... yeah

:D

I don't have a problem with his frustration, but I agree with the decision. Besides, I don't think he's tofar off from making the club anyway. And really, if he's so concerned about making money for his family why did he slack during the AFL? Explain that one.

Going out on a whim, perhaps he wanted to stay at home and spend some time with them. Perhaps he is a little immature, but he is very young (younger than me). Lets not forget than Shadez had problems a couple of years ago, these are things they just grow out of. Hopefully he comes up midseason and plays like he is capable of.

cambridge, that's exactly why he had problems in the afl. his daughter (or maybe son) was only a few months old and he wanted to be home with his wife and daughter.

I really dont buy that argument

you don't buy that that was the reason for his actions or you don't buy the possibility that he wanted to be home with his wife and newborn daughter?

cambridge, that's exactly why he had problems in the afl. his daughter (or maybe son) was only a few months old and he wanted to be home with his wife and daughter.

I really dont buy that argument

you don't buy that that was the reason for his actions or you don't buy the possibility that he wanted to be home with his wife and newborn daughter?

I dont buy the fact he was sulking and throwing fits because he wanted to be home with his family

i don't know how many of you guys have played baseball at a descently competitive level, but i know first hand that baseball can seem absolutely impossible at times and the other way around sometimes...idk but maybe he was in a slump during the afl season

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.