Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Maybe he has turned a corner

Featured Replies

I'm actually inclined to agree that first base is of much greater concern since things were actually expected of Jacobs while most everyone knew centerfield would have been a massive void.

 

Reggie's future probably isn't as a starter, but Jacobs isn't even looking like he could handle platoon duties at this point.

 

Reggie's future probably isn't in baseball. And the future is coming really fast.

 

It doesn't matter that we didn't expect CF production and we did from 1B, CF is still the biggest problem on this team and it's not even close. 2B was the only position that could have given CF a run for it's money before the season, but Uggla is surpassing all expectations as of right now and proving to be a legit stopgap in a worst case scenario. Helms is a veteran who has actually played baseball before and will do a few good things given playing time. We don't have that in CF. Aguila and Reed are not good players. Honestly, I think Amezaga has the same shot of any at being the best CF on the roster, and that's downright scary because he's never played the position before. We have nothing in CF.

 

Likewise, for the future, we have hope at 1B because even if Jacobs fails as a player, we can put Willingham there, or someone from the Stokes/McCann/Harvey/Restko family can take over the spot in a year or two. We have a lot of future corner options, nothing in CF. Absolutely nothing at all. We are going to have to address this position out of the organization. It pains me to watch the Marlins CF situation if you can't tell.

I don't know, Lou. Reggie has been playing well lately, and you have to like his power potential/speed.

 

Also has a pretty good arm.

 

11 for his last 39 since that horrid start.

 

.280 isn't anything to write home about, but for a rookie it's pretty good.

I don't know, Lou. Reggie has been playing well lately, and you have to like his power potential/speed.

 

Also has a pretty good arm.

 

11 for his last 39 since that horrid start.

 

.280 isn't anything to write home about, but for a rookie it's pretty good.

 

Tools do not impress me. All I care about is production. His OBP and SLUG both need to rise 100 points for me to take him seriously as a starting CF. 60-80 points to be a future bench player. I think it's going to be really hard for Reggie to do that.

It pains me to watch the Marlins CF situation if you can't tell.

 

It pains me to remember a time at Marlinsbaseball.com without your keen insight.

It pains me to watch the Marlins CF situation if you can't tell.

 

It pains me to remember a time at Marlinsbaseball.com without your keen insight.

I agree shmuck! :thumbup

Tools do not impress me. All I care about is production. His OBP and SLUG both need to rise 100 points for me to take him seriously as a starting CF. 60-80 points to be a future bench player. I think it's going to be really hard for Reggie to do that.

 

 

He crushed one again tonight.

 

Boy howdee, when he hits em, they go far.

:mischief kool-aid :cool producing more then most the lineup these days, so much for those who said he is garbage after only 3 weeks into the season. :hat

Koolaid is becoming a ballplayer in front of our very own eyes...Mantle , Aaron and Geoge Foster had horrible initiations of their careers and they got better!...lets give him a chance and not add undue burden. He can and will become very productive as long as We let him play

  • Author

Reggie is now a feared hitter!

 

His first major league IBB!

 

for some reason I want to say he got IBB in Houston

Reggie is now a feared hitter!

 

His first major league IBB!

 

for some reason I want to say he got IBB in Houston

Oh Ramp. You are such a stathead. :p

 

Reggie got his first IBB in Houston on April 5 in the 4th inning. :thumbup

Koolaid hit his 2nd HR amd has as of this momement surpassed Gathright in batting average

Abercrombie .218 vs Gathright .208 Sometimes the best trades are those not made

  • Author

Reggie is now a feared hitter!

 

His first major league IBB!

 

for some reason I want to say he got IBB in Houston

Oh Ramp. You are such a stathead. :p

 

Reggie got his first IBB in Houston on April 5 in the 4th inning. :thumbup

:mischief

Alittle off topic but..... Abercrombie currently has a better batting average than Jacobs(.179)

doesn't everyone?

Koolaid hit his 2nd HR amd has as of this momement surpassed Gathright in batting average

Abercrombie .218 vs Gathright .208 Sometimes the best trades are those not made

 

Still living in the stone age I see.

 

Gathright OBP .336

Abercrombie OBP .267

 

It's not even close. It's not like Abercrombie's marginal slugging is making up the differance in the outs he is producing. I think Gathright's BB rate becoming out of this world is way more encouraging then Abercrombie hitting random baseballs out of the park every 3 weeks. If Gathright does not improve at all and Reggie starts breaking a .400+ slugging, then we can talk about him potentially outproducing Gathright's OBP, but he is not right now.

 

The issue is not if Gathright is a better player and prospect then Abercrombie, he clearly is by any form of evaluation, the issue is 'what pitcher is gathright worth' if he is discussed in trade talks. I need not refresh this argument because everyone disagrees on what pitcher Gathright would be worth, but if you are going to take a jab at Gathright, atleast compare him to a player that is actually better then him. There are plenty to choose from.

Koolaid hit his 2nd HR amd has as of this momement surpassed Gathright in batting average

Abercrombie .218 vs Gathright .208 Sometimes the best trades are those not made

 

Still living in the stone age I see.

 

Gathright OBP .336

Abercrombie OBP .267

 

It's not even close. It's not like Abercrombie's marginal slugging is making up the differance in the outs he is producing. I think Gathright's BB rate becoming out of this world is way more encouraging then Abercrombie hitting random baseballs out of the park every 3 weeks. If Gathright does not improve at all and Reggie starts breaking a .400+ slugging, then we can talk about him potentially outproducing Gathright's OBP, but he is not right now.

 

The issue is not if Gathright is a better player and prospect then Abercrombie, he clearly is by any form of evaluation, the issue is 'what pitcher is gathright worth' if he is discussed in trade talks. I need not refresh this argument because everyone disagrees on what pitcher Gathright would be worth, but if you are going to take a jab at Gathright, atleast compare him to a player that is actually better then him. There are plenty to choose from.

 

 

I would say Gathright is not worth any prospect pitcher that is a surefire 1 or 2 right now for a rotation. Example Olsen, Sanchez, volstadt, etc.

 

I would say he is worth the 3-4 catagory, which is more like Pettit style.

  • Author

Kris Harvey for the future 1B or OF of the marlins, it is all about Kris!

 

who cares?

 

and amazing the hatred on Yusmeiro Petit... simply amazing

Kris Harvey for the future 1B or OF of the marlins, it is all about Kris!

 

who cares?

 

and amazing the hatred on Yusmeiro Petit... simply amazing

 

I dont hate the guy, I like potential there. But there is a bigger risk in him then there is in Olsen and Sanchez type of pitcher.

 

I was just giving an example of the type of player more worth for Gathright's potential.

Kris Harvey for the future 1B or OF of the marlins, it is all about Kris!

 

who cares?

 

and amazing the hatred on Yusmeiro Petit... simply amazing

I think people are a little dissapointed he is less polished then expected. Those ancillary minor leage stats from A/AA suggest Johan right away, rather then a prospect that probably needs a year, year and a half, in AAA to completely adjust to new levels. We have had all these fast risers jumping from AA - Beckett, Dontrelle, Vargas, Olsen, etc, so it's kind of new to have a SP prospect actually need to go level to level. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe people just hate the kid.

 

I think he can be a higher K Brad Radke, which is one hell of a SP. I would not trade Petit for Gathright. Dukes though.

Koolaid hit his 2nd HR amd has as of this momement surpassed Gathright in batting average

Abercrombie .218 vs Gathright .208 Sometimes the best trades are those not made

 

Still living in the stone age I see.

 

Gathright OBP .336

Abercrombie OBP .267

 

It's not even close. It's not like Abercrombie's marginal slugging is making up the differance in the outs he is producing. I think Gathright's BB rate becoming out of this world is way more encouraging then Abercrombie hitting random baseballs out of the park every 3 weeks. If Gathright does not improve at all and Reggie starts breaking a .400+ slugging, then we can talk about him potentially outproducing Gathright's OBP, but he is not right now.

 

The issue is not if Gathright is a better player and prospect then Abercrombie, he clearly is by any form of evaluation, the issue is 'what pitcher is gathright worth' if he is discussed in trade talks. I need not refresh this argument because everyone disagrees on what pitcher Gathright would be worth, but if you are going to take a jab at Gathright, atleast compare him to a player that is actually better then him. There are plenty to choose from.

I'm not sure you can adequately project Gathright will be any better than ABercrombie right now. He's a very difficult type of player to project and hasn't shown anything at the major league level.

  • Author

Kris Harvey for the future 1B or OF of the marlins, it is all about Kris!

 

who cares?

 

and amazing the hatred on Yusmeiro Petit... simply amazing

I think people are a little dissapointed he is less polished then expected. Those ancillary minor leage stats from A/AA suggest Johan right away, rather then a prospect that probably needs a year, year and a half, in AAA to completely adjust to new levels. We have had all these fast risers jumping from AA - Beckett, Dontrelle, Vargas, Olsen, etc, so it's kind of new to have a SP prospect actually need to go level to level. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe people just hate the kid.

 

I think he can be a higher K Brad Radke, which is one hell of a SP. I would not trade Petit for Gathright. Dukes though.

there must be something in the water or weather, because we are agreeing an awful lot recently... Id give Petit and my left arm for Dukes... something about that kid yells superstar(and headcase) :shifty

Koolaid hit his 2nd HR amd has as of this momement surpassed Gathright in batting average

Abercrombie .218 vs Gathright .208 Sometimes the best trades are those not made

 

Still living in the stone age I see.

 

Gathright OBP .336

Abercrombie OBP .267

 

It's not even close. It's not like Abercrombie's marginal slugging is making up the differance in the outs he is producing. I think Gathright's BB rate becoming out of this world is way more encouraging then Abercrombie hitting random baseballs out of the park every 3 weeks. If Gathright does not improve at all and Reggie starts breaking a .400+ slugging, then we can talk about him potentially outproducing Gathright's OBP, but he is not right now.

 

The issue is not if Gathright is a better player and prospect then Abercrombie, he clearly is by any form of evaluation, the issue is 'what pitcher is gathright worth' if he is discussed in trade talks. I need not refresh this argument because everyone disagrees on what pitcher Gathright would be worth, but if you are going to take a jab at Gathright, atleast compare him to a player that is actually better then him. There are plenty to choose from.

 

Amazing how you leave out the fact that their BA are identical, Abercrombie is a better defensive player, and in 14 fewer at bats Abercrombie has only 3 fewer hits in 14 fewer at bats, yet actually has 4 more XBH.

Add to that they are less than a year apart in age, and you have alot of the same player. To what Shamrock said about comparing this year...well, this is Abercrombie's first year, and Gathright is struggling just as much and had never done anything worthwhile before to begin with.

 

So I am asking...would you ask for more than a #5 pitcher or 3rd tier MiLB pitcher for Abercrombie? Probably not. Then we shouldn't give anymore for Gathright, since he has never shown he is worth it either.

 

And, no I dont think that Gathright is clearly a better prospect by any form of evaluation, I'd say they are pretty much the same.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.