Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Maybe he has turned a corner

Featured Replies

Amazing how you leave out the fact that their BA are identical, Abercrombie is a better defensive player, and in 14 fewer at bats Abercrombie has only 3 fewer hits in 14 fewer at bats, yet actually has 4 more XBH.

Add to that they are less than a year apart in age, and you have alot of the same player. To what Shamrock said about comparing this year...well, this is Abercrombie's first year, and Gathright is struggling just as much and had never done anything worthwhile before to begin with.

 

So I am asking...would you ask for more than a #5 pitcher or 3rd tier MiLB pitcher for Abercrombie? Probably not. Then we shouldn't give anymore for Gathright, since he has never shown he is worth it either.

 

And, no I dont think that Gathright is clearly a better prospect by any form of evaluation, I'd say they are pretty much the same.

 

Defensive Rankings (Gathright has logged 70 more innings then Reggie).

 

Range Factor

Gathright 3.56 1st

Abercrombie 2.16 18th

 

Zone Rating

Gathright .893 7th

Abercrombie .933 3rd

 

Ancillary Stats which aren't very good but people still use

Gathright 2 Assists, 1 Error, .990%

Abercrombie 1 Assist, 2 Errors, .955%

 

Please explain to me where Abercrombie has this decesive defensive advantage over Gathright I always hear about.

 

These players also have nothing in common. Worthwhile? One has a stellar minor league career with his OBP potential and ludicrous SB rates, one hasn't been able to hit .270 in the minors (and that's below double AA) and is only still considered a prospect because of his gifted natural athleticism. Gathright is a speedster whose value is based on his OBP and SB rate, where Abercrombie's value is derived from his slugging because he cannot hit for average or walk. What are these players doing right now? Well, Gathright is getting on base OK and stealing. Abercrombie's slugging is .360.

 

I think drawing 17 walks in 111 plate apperances is very sexy. Especially when you are batting .200 and offer very little slugging potential. Why aren't pitchers dominating this weak hitting kid when they have nothing to fear with his bat? I guess you can say they are with his average, but how is Gathright drawing walks? Scouts asked the question in AA. They said it would catch up to him in Durham. And now he's in the big, still finding ways to get on base. Maybe it's a sample size fluke with the walks, or maybe Joey Gathright is adjusting to a tougher level of competition and learning how to hit bit league pitching. I doubt he hits .200 all year because I'm sure he is being less aggressive at the moment to work counts, while I can't say the same about Abercrombie whose resume suggests he is playing to his MLB potential right now.

 

This has nothing to do with Scott Olsen. This has nothing to do any other pitchers or deals for a CF the Marlins will look into. This has nothing to do if Gathright pans out into Pierre versus into Endy Chavez or Tike Redman. The only point is, Gathright is a lot better prospect and has a far greater chance of success in the bigs then Reggie. If you don't like him, that's fine. I completely understand people like RFerry who completely detest his slugging, but it doesn't mean he doesn't hold any value. He would be an upgrade to the current Marlins CF situation. Please, stop looking through distorted glass and try and come up with a realistic view of these players.

  • Author

nice work Lou.... even though I happen dislike Joey alot, he is still walking an uber ton

 

at this point I wouldnt give up anything worthwhile for him though... id much rather go after Dukes

I did. Agressive or non-agressive, he's a speedster single's only hitter. Weak arm. His speed is overrated in the OF because he cant judge fly balls. As fast as he is, he is pathetic at getting extra bases. He is just another slap hitter who will never be anything more than a backup at the MLB level. It's not that I dont like him, it's just that your wrong...he wont improve the team. Of the 4 players that can play CF right now, sure 2 are really bad and prob shouldnt be in MLB(Reed and Borchard), Aguila has power potential but is getting older. And I happen to think your wrong, Abercrombie has alot of potential. He just doesn't look it because he's learning on the fly at the big level. Does he look overmatched? From time to time. But the fact that he has the ability to get XBH will make him more dangerous, IMO, than Gathright who is nearly incapable of getting them, and has to rely on steals to get into scoring position.

For the record, I don't believe Abercrombie is a better player, but I don't think Gathright can be projected accurately and that all attempts to do so still do not suggest he will be a much better player [than ABercrombie] to justify any cost of acquiring him.

nice work Lou.... even though I happen dislike Joey alot, he is still walking an uber ton

 

at this point I wouldnt give up anything worthwhile for him though... id much rather go after Dukes

 

Agreed walking a ton...not stealing any bases but walking a ton

hey for what it's worth...

 

April (57 ABs): .175/.203/.263

 

May (30 ABs): .297/.388/.566

 

April: 2 BB, 21 K

May: 5 BB, 7 K

 

 

Very interesting stats and show the improvement. I'm willing to give him a chance and see if he can continue with the improvement for the long run.

When Hermida gets back the decision of Borchard or Reggie in cf will be tough. Specially if both keep hitting the way they are.

Unless Borchard is hitting out of this world when Hermida comes back, I'd keep Abercrombie in center. He's played very well there after his early goofs and the same exact thing can be said about his bat. He's settled in nicely to playing everyday and has rewarded the team with production out of the 8 hole.

Unless Borchard is hitting out of this world when Hermida comes back, I'd keep Abercrombie in center. He's played very well there after his early goofs and the same exact thing can be said about his bat. He's settled in nicely to playing everyday and has rewarded the team with production out of the 8 hole.

 

 

My only issue with that is that Borchard has the higher upside of the two. I mean, yes, clearly, he's struggled as a big leaguer. But he was rated so highly for a reason.

I agree with others who said it will be a hard decision once Jeremy Hermida is activated from the DL. Maybe the Marlins will consider reviving the plan to have Willingham catch a few days out of the week?

 

That way you can work Willingham, Borchard and Abercrombie into the lineup when they are all batting well and then put Willingham in left and Olivo catching when either Borchard or Abercrombie cool off.

Unless Borchard is hitting out of this world when Hermida comes back, I'd keep Abercrombie in center. He's played very well there after his early goofs and the same exact thing can be said about his bat. He's settled in nicely to playing everyday and has rewarded the team with production out of the 8 hole.

My only issue with that is that Borchard has the higher upside of the two. I mean, yes, clearly, he's struggled as a big leaguer. But he was rated so highly for a reason.Yes, but how is Borchard in CF? Reggie looks very comfortable there.

No way Reggie should be taken out of Center. Keep him in there until he stops improving. He is improving, and that is all you can asks.

Koolaid had a double tonite. He is looking like a major league baseball player at the plate... He is not an easy out (even though he struck out with bases loaded and 1 out in the 9th inning) He is improving steadily

Abercrombie .220 vs Gathright .190 ( I don't care about OBP 30 pts in batting average is significant!)

Koolaid is hitting...and hitting well! He should be our CF for the rest of the season...When Hermida comes back Borchard should be our 4th OF...Reed should go to triple A... and Aguila...well...who cares!

Koolaid is hitting...and hitting well! He should be our CF for the rest of the season...When Hermida comes back Borchard should be our 4th OF...Reed should go to triple A... and Aguila...well...who cares!

 

for may hes batting .324 :shifty

Why not put Willy behind the plate, Borchard in left, and Hermida in right when he returns? And Borchard and Willy switch off in left and Olivo and Treanor switch off at catcher on the days Willy is in left...

 

 

Probably too much upheavel for a good lineup.

Maybe try J-Will at first?

 

 

 

I'd like that. But then what do we do with Jacobs? We can't keep him on the bench. He'd have to be sent down, which means that we'd have to bring up Stokes. And we won't bring up Stokes just to have him sit on the bench.

Maybe try J-Will at first?

 

 

 

I'd like that. But then what do we do with Jacobs? We can't keep him on the bench. He'd have to be sent down, which means that we'd have to bring up Stokes. And we won't bring up Stokes just to have him sit on the bench.

 

I'm all for bringing up Stokes just because we need somebody who is not a bum at the biggest offensive position in baseball.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.