Cabrera's errors

marlinsfan75

8 errors in one month is not very good. I know he is just getting back there full time but that is starting to cost us some games. Sure the pitching wasn't fantastic either but the simple plays are the ones that have to be made. I am sure Cabs will come around because he showed flashes even in the outfield, but it's not starting out well. Does anyone know how surehanded he was as a shortstop?

8 errors in one month is not very good. I know he is just getting back there full time but that is starting to cost us some games. Sure the pitching wasn't fantastic either but the simple plays are the ones that have to be made. I am sure Cabs will come around because he showed flashes even in the outfield, but it's not starting out well. Does anyone know how surehanded he was as a shortstop?

Starting to cost us games?...r u kidding me? It is really gonna hurt in our run for the pennant!

I can't get inside Cabrera's head and I don't pretend to know what's happening in his life outside baseball (although I keep going back to a rather cryptic remark by Jeffrey Loria a few days/weeks ago, "He's a great talent. He's working his way through all of his situations in his life..." and wonder), but he does appear to be out of shape and especially so for a third baseman.

While many here felt the need to bash Matt Herges (and from our point of view as fans, perhaps justifiably so) no one knew his wife was expecting, or that in the first weeks after the birth their baby had developed pneumonia. I'm reminded of when Derrek Lee's child was born and his on-field play suffered as well, both before and immediately after the event.

The above isn't meant as an excuse for Herges' play (or for that matter Cabrera's) but more recognition that outside influences can affect onfield performance. There may be things going on in Miggy's life (and I fervently hope this post doesn't start a torrent of speculation in subsequent ones) that are in play here.

One would hope that Cabrera finds himself defensively in short order. And lose that extra weight he's carrying. But like my refusal to bash the manager until at least the all-star break, I'm willing to allow Miggy the chance to get settled in at third a while longer before commenting negatively on his play.

Great point, 2003. I also remember Loria's comments. It seems to me that he is going through something pretty big in his life right now and maybe that has distracted him some. That distraction may be influencing his defense. His offense is not struggling, though... he's hitting .340/.463/.580 - OPS of 1.043. He's not hitting as many homeruns as we would expect, but he sure is getting a load of doubles.

I'm not convinced that there's anything going on in his life that would significantly get in the way of his defense.

If anything, I think all those empanadas and churros might have more to do with it.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I'm not convinced that there's anything going on in his life that would significantly get in the way of his defense.

If anything, I think all those empanadas and churros might have more to do with it.

Wow, these forums really have gone to Hell, haven't they? Literally.

Wow, these forums really have gone to Hell, haven't they? Literally. :lol

He will get better as he goes. He was considered a very good defensive 3B before coming up and when he came up and all.

If he doesnt put it together what about him someday at 1B?

I thought he played short before he was called up in 2003. And when I say he cost us some games, I obviously didn't think that with the belief those would hurt us down the road (playoffs). I just think he has made some critical errors that didn't help a young team's confidence.

I'm not going to doubt that Cabrera either A) Is having outside issues B) is out of shape or C) is getting comfortable at 3rd base. HOWEVER, that slow grounder he charged Friday night that basically rolled right by him only showed a blatant lack of effort. It litterally looked like he didn't care to hussle. I don't see how you could argue any different for that grounder. Playing the sharp line drives to the side and missing them I can live with. That comes when his comfort level at 3rd base comes back. But that lack of effort on that grounder was just unbelieveable.

Yeah, I'm all for sabermetrics, but this year, Cabrera is nowhere near Lowell was last year. Maybe in the month he played in 03 he was, but he hasn't been so far.

I mean, one thing I miss about Lowell that really annoys me with Cabrera is Lowell would have barehanded that slow roller in the 2nd today and made the throw.

Yeah, I'm all for sabermetrics, but this year, Cabrera is nowhere near Lowell was last year. Maybe in the month he played in 03 he was, but he hasn't been so far.

I mean, one thing I miss about Lowell that really annoys me with Cabrera is Lowell would have barehanded that slow roller in the 2nd today and made the throw.

He wasn't in that month in 2003 either. Would have had at least 4 errors there that he was saved from by D. Lee's great defense at first. And a few other throws where D Lee made the scoop and the out...where an average first baseman doesn't make the play and the runner's on. Let's hope he gets better with time.

I hate to speculate, but is he pulling a "Gary Sheffield" on us ? It was the tactic that Sheffield later admitted to when asked why he played so poorly in Milwaukee and they traded him to San Diego. He said he purposely played that way to force a trade. I hope history is not repeating itself but there are blatant signs he just doesn't care :

a) the lazy errors

b) the weight gain

c) his uninspired plate appearances

d) looks bored many times the camera shows him

I really think his youth, and his early success have spoiled him a bit and he's just not too motivated right now. He knows he is not eligible for the big money until he is arbitration eligible, so he's just waiting out his time -- I don't think we get his full effort ever again.

I can't get inside Cabrera's head and I don't pretend to know what's happening in his life outside baseball (although I keep going back to a rather cryptic remark by Jeffrey Loria a few days/weeks ago, "He's a great talent. He's working his way through all of his situations in his life..." and wonder), but he does appear to be out of shape and especially so for a third baseman.

While many here felt the need to bash Matt Herges (and from our point of view as fans, perhaps justifiably so) no one knew his wife was expecting, or that in the first weeks after the birth their baby had developed pneumonia. I'm reminded of when Derrek Lee's child was born and his on-field play suffered as well, both before and immediately after the event.

The above isn't meant as an excuse for Herges' play (or for that matter Cabrera's) but more recognition that outside influences can affect onfield performance. There may be things going on in Miggy's life (and I fervently hope this post doesn't start a torrent of speculation in subsequent ones) that are in play here.

One would hope that Cabrera finds himself defensively in short order. And lose that extra weight he's carrying. But like my refusal to bash the manager until at least the all-star break, I'm willing to allow Miggy the chance to get settled in at third a while longer before commenting negatively on his play.

That's interesting. I somehow missed those comments by Loria and he may very well have outside distractions. It happens to all of us and I wouldn't try second guessing without knowledge of the situation. While I've been extremely disappointed in his defensive play I too am willing to give him time to get settled before making any definitive judgments.

Then why is there no lapse at the plate?

Please stop watching if you can't stand it.

Cabrera has a far better arm than Lowell. Cabrera has more range than Lowell does. Cabrera is still learning the intricacies of third base in regards to his new partners on the infield.

A good arm and range do no good if you don't field the ball. It doesn't matter who you're throwing to if you don't field the ball first.

Then why is there no lapse at the plate?

Please stop watching if you can't stand it.

Cabrera has a far better arm than Lowell. Cabrera has more range than Lowell does. Cabrera is still learning the intricacies of third base in regards to his new partners on the infield.

A good arm and range do no good if you don't field the ball. It doesn't matter who you're throwing to if you don't field the ball first.

:notworthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.