this is starting to become really sickening

btnhmarlins

i mean what more could you f***in ask for than a 5-0 lead after the first. Then we lose mitre and we bring in vargas which we know is trouble and as usual we blow the lead then come back and then lose. Do you guys think that vargas should be sent down and maybe bring up sanchez or pinto or petit becuase vargas is terrible and he walks guys like he has overpowering stuff that could strike anyone out when his stuff is horrible?

i mean what more could you f***in ask for than a 5-0 lead after the first. Then we lose mitre and we bring in vargas which we know is trouble and as usual we blow the lead then come back and then lose. Do you guys think that vargas should be sent down and maybe bring up sanchez or pinto or petit becuase vargas is terrible and he walks guys like he has overpowering stuff that could strike anyone out when his stuff is horrible?

:yourpoint

Mitre is more likely to give up alot of runs than Vargas...you give Mitre too much credit. I dont want the guy to be hurt, but the fact that he's out of the rotation for a few starts and we actually have a chance to win the games he would of started...well, that makes me very happy.

i mean that the royals would probably not even blow that lead 5 runs is alot and it disappears in a second. dont get me wrong i love the resilience and the ffort but enough is enough and for hermida rules is u thin that vargas is better than mitre than something is wrong with u

Guest Jack1

Dude its nothing you shouldnt expect... Kids are learning... You really think the game was over when we were up 5-0??

Personally, I am sick of the "learning" routine excuse. These aren't kids who just came off the high school diamond. They should at the very least know the fundamentals of baseball. WHY in the hell did Loria, Beinfest and Co. hire a rookie manager too?

Every pitcher in our organization is better than Mitre. The fact that he's in the starting rotation(or on the team at all) is a joke

You really need to give it a rest. He's been better than Jason Vargas and it's not even close. Not close.

wow I cant understand how uneducated some fans are MITRE is a strong precise pitcher with the stategies that back up his talent

And how bad is our pitching corps?

For the Fish there is one overriding problem, and everyone knows it, the complete inability of our starting pitchers to throw first pitch strikes, get ahead in counts and take command of the strike zone.

I suspect if Beinfest and Loria had any idea how well this team would be producing offensively this season they would have invested more money in acquiring some major league ready pitching. But who was to know Ramirez and Uggla would be doing as well as they have or that Josh Willingham would either?

Sure we had high hopes but Ramirez didn't exactly perform up to expectations offensively in 2005, Uggla was a guy who seemed destined to ride a minor league roster forever and Willingham, for all the hype was untested at the major league level.

There's only one guy in the (AA/AAA) minors who appears to not have walk-itis and that's Jeff Fulchino who has 24 strikeouts vs only six walks, but Fulchino has never shown anything that would indicate he has the stuff to pitch competitively at the big league level. He is what he is, a minor league roster guy who goes out and gives his AAA team six decent innings every five days.

Dan Jennings made a comment last night in the radio pregame (filling in for Admin Beinfest in his usual friday night spot) about being busy with a number of things including trades. Hmmm...

Maybe the answer is to start beating the bushes in the Mexican League or elsewhere (Steve Nebraska anyone???) for a guy who can throw strikes but let's face it we don't have marketable commodities to trade with, and to what end? This team needs three or four dependable, professional arms right now and we have nothing in the minors that could lure, one nevermind four major league pitchers.

In short we're screwed.

While there are those here who count the days until Jeremy Hermida's return, frankly he's become an irrelevancy. If Marlins pitchers continue to meltdown nightly there are simply never going to be enough runs scored to secure victories.

I'd love to jettison Wellemeyer and multiple others either through outright release or back to the minors (Vargas, etc.) but who's going to replace them? Nic Ungs (11BB/22K)? Petit (12BB/27K)? Pinto (26BB/40K)? Tankersley (11BB)/26K)?

I pity Joe Girardi, I really do. I know many here want to put all the blame on him but he can only work with what he's given, and so far he's been shortchanged. The defensive errors were to be expected, and will continue but he and Presley seem to have the kids hitting.

It's a damn shame to see it wasted night after night on inferior pitching.

(edit: I removed a line about Vargas replacing Mitre in the rotation because it was just poor wire service reporting. It now appears if Forty4 is right, that Petit has been called up).

Dude its nothing you shouldnt expect... Kids are learning... You really think the game was over when we were up 5-0??

Obviously he's someone not watching all the games or he would have known NO LEAD is safe with this team -- they are kids, you can't count on them -- YET. :thumbup

You refering to the topic started I would assume... if you are I agree... Anyone thought that it was over 5-0 really needs to wake up.. No lead is safe in the MLB let alone the Marlins

Every game this kinda thread gets started. It's starting to get old dude. All you do is complain about this team. Suck it up already.

Guest FishFanInPA

Every pitcher in our organization is better than Mitre. The fact that he's in the starting rotation(or on the team at all) is a joke

You really need to give it a rest. He's been better than Jason Vargas and it's not even close. Not close.

Spike likes to deny numbers and let his hatred for the players cloud his view.

Deny #'s? (;ike you in your constant asscertation that Vick is a good QB...yet no statistical proof to back it up) But by #'s, as you say, Mitre is a horrible MLB pitcher.

Mitre has the second lowest ERA on our pitching staff - so if you consider him horrible you may as well launch an attack on Scott Olsen and Dontrelle Willis as well, shouldn't you?

you're so biased it's impossible to take anything you say seriously with comments such as "he's the worst pitcher in our organization". whatever you have against Mitre is making you look like a complete fool. He's no worldbeater, but he's also not nearly as bad as you try and make him out to be...not even close.

if it makes u feel better, the Marlins werent the only team blowing 5 run leads in the first yesterday...

I work at an elementary school and my 4th graders picked up a 5-0 lead in the first inning playing kickball yesterday...but the 5th graders came back and scored 20 to beat us 20-13...sad...i know its silly but I couldnt help but notice the Marlins blowing the same lead...that bugged me all night...

dont worry...both the Marlins and my 4th graders will come around and win the big games...please?

And how bad is our pitching corps?

For the Fish there is one overriding problem, and everyone knows it, the complete inability of our starting pitchers to throw first pitch strikes, get ahead in counts and take command of the strike zone.

I suspect if Beinfest and Loria had any idea how well this team would be producing offensively this season they would have invested more money in acquiring some major league ready pitching. But who was to know Ramirez and Uggla would be doing as well as they have or that Josh Willingham would either?

Sure we had high hopes but Ramirez didn't exactly perform up to expectations offensively in 2005, Uggla was a guy who seemed destined to ride a minor league roster forever and Willingham, for all the hype was untested at the major league level.

There's only one guy in the (AA/AAA) minors who appears to not have walk-itis and that's Jeff Fulchino who has 24 strikeouts vs only six walks, but Fulchino has never shown anything that would indicate he has the stuff to pitch competitively at the big league level. He is what he is, a minor league roster guy who goes out and gives his AAA team six decent innings every five days.

Dan Jennings made a comment last night in the radio pregame (filling in for Admin Beinfest in his usual friday night spot) about being busy with a number of things including trades. Hmmm...

Maybe the answer is to start beating the bushes in the Mexican League or elsewhere (Steve Nebraska anyone???) for a guy who can throw strikes but let's face it we don't have marketable commodities to trade with, and to what end? This team needs three or four dependable, professional arms right now and we have nothing in the minors that could lure, one nevermind four major league pitchers.

In short we're screwed.

While there are those here who count the days until Jeremy Hermida's return, frankly he's become an irrelevancy. If Marlins pitchers continue to meltdown nightly there are simply never going to be enough runs scored to secure victories.

I'd love to jettison Wellemeyer and multiple others either through outright release or back to the minors (Vargas, etc.) but who's going to replace them? Nic Ungs (11BB/22K)? Petit (12BB/27K)? Pinto (26BB/40K)? Tankersley (11BB)/26K)?

I pity Joe Girardi, I really do. I know many here want to put all the blame on him but he can only work with what he's given, and so far he's been shortchanged. The defensive errors were to be expected, and will continue but he and Presley seem to have the kids hitting.

It's a damn shame to see it wasted night after night on inferior pitching.

(edit: I removed a line about Vargas replacing Mitre in the rotation because it was just poor wire service reporting. It now appears if Forty4 is right, that Petit has been called up).

I certainly hope we're not trading young arms for veteran arms (unless those veteran arms are outstanding).