Notes: Hermida set to return

Ralph

ATLANTA -- Stronger signals are surfacing that Jeremy Hermida is close to being activated off the disabled list.

If all goes according to plan, the Marlins could have the services of their rookie right fielder on Friday night when they play at Tampa Bay.

On the disabled list with a strained right hip flexor since April 17, Hermida had a successful second rehab assignment on Tuesday in Jupiter. Playing in an extended spring game, he was 1-for-2 with a home run and two walks in four innings.

Because of wet conditions, he didn't play the outfield. Instead, he was used as the designated hitter. What encouraged Marlins manager Joe Girardi is that Hermida ran without pain from first-to-third twice.

Based on the upbeat progress report Tuesday, Hermida is expected to join Class-A Jupiter for two more rehab assignments. The Hammerheads will be playing at Clearwater Wednesday and Thursday.

"We'd love to have him back," Girardi said. "Obviously, he provides something for our lineup. He's a good young talent and we want to see him grow into his position and get better each week like all the other young players. He's had a little bit of a setback. That's OK. It probably won't be his last. Let's hope it's not for a while."

Regarded as one of the top young prospects in the league, Hermida last played on April 11 against the Padres. The rookie has played in six games, and is batting .250 (5-for-20).

As soon as he is activated, he will be in the starting lineup.

"He's going to play when he comes back," Girardi said. "Obviously, you might take it a little slow just because he's coming back from an injury. You don't want to run him out there 12 days in a row and get him fatigued because he's not used to playing every day. He's been shut down for a while. But he will play."

Exactly where Hermida bats, however, has not been determined. He was batting second, but Dan Uggla has excelled in that spot.

Should Hermida be in the lineup at Tampa Bay, he will be playing on turf. Girardi doesn't think that should be a big issue.

"It's that new turf, so it's actually pretty good," Girardi said.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

Good thing is we can use a dh when we play in Tampa so we get to chose who takes over cf b/w Reggie and Borchard. I say Reggie but it'll play out for itself.

thank god for some good news. And if Girardi messes with Uggla in the 2 spot right now I'll kill him. Bat Hermida 5th or something for a while.

Sad thing is, a disgruntled fan shooting the manager would probably only be the second top story, after Yankess and Red Sox highlights .

thank god for some good news. And if Girardi messes with Uggla in the 2 spot right now I'll kill him. Bat Hermida 5th or something for a while.

Sad thing is, a disgruntled fan shooting the manager would probably only be the second top story, after Yankess and Red Sox highlights .

Are you kidding me? I can see it now...

BREAKING NEWS

Bonds: 1-2, BB, single in 3rd

GOOD OL' ESPNEWS!

I agree although I didnt when Hermida first went down. Uggla has unexpectedley (in most peoples eyes) maintained his pace. Now I love having Hermida come up down in the order to add some spice down there.

The only thing I dont like about it is that Hermida is such an on-base guy. Its a nice problem to have though isnt it?

I know.... & I agree Hermida's the more ideal #2 guy with his ability to draw walks. (Especially batting in front of Cabrera!)

But I wouldn't move Uggla right now. Maybe it's just superstition that lineup position affects the way you hit, I dunno. I just hate messing with a guy when he's on fire.

I've been pretty pleased with the offense's production without Hermida the past couple of weeks, but hopefully, with his return we will be able to score enough runs each game to bail out our bullpen... every game. Honestly Im loving the projected middle of the line up Miggy, Willy, Hermida, and Jacobs. If these guys can stay hot, then hopefully we can put up a lot of runs.

Sorry for the bump. Jeremy is playing tonight and I will update you guys on what he is doing.

1st- Strikes out swinging :plain. (He is offically a Marlin ;) )

3rd:

-Jeremy Hermida singles on a line drive to left fielder Matt Thayer. Juan Figueroa scores. Brad Davis scores.

-Grant Psomas doubles (9) on a line drive to center fielder Brian Burgamy. Jeremy Hermida scores Nice to see Jeremy scoring from first on a double.

5th

Jeremy Hermida called out on strikes.