Red Sox @ Marlins-- 7:35pm--Dolphin Stadium

vs

Jason Johnson (3-8. 5.96 ERA) Dontreeeeell Willis (4-7, 4.05 ERA)

Willis to face Red Sox for first time

Boston (47-28) at Florida (34-41), 7:35 p.m. ET Friday

Having just taken two out of three against the Devil Rays and won 13 out of their past 17 games, the $64,000 question becomes how will the Marlins do against a team playing as well as they are?

They'll find out on Friday when the American League East-leading Red Sox, who've won 11 straight, come to town on Friday to begin a three-game series against Florida.

Facing the Sox will be one of the toughest tests they've faced this season, one manager Joe Girardi expects his team to be pumped up for.

"We've got a recent World Series winner coming to town, they've got to be excited," Girardi said. "There will definitely be some emotions there in facing them."

The Marlins last faced the Red Sox in 2003, dropping two out three games to Boston. Since Interleague Play started in 1997, the Marlins have only taken one series against the Red Sox, winning two out of three in that first year.

Taking the mound in hopes of turning the Marlins' luck against Boston around will be Dontrelle Willis, who had won his past three decisions before his last start, a complete-game loss against the Yankees.

He'll face Jason Johnson, who hasn't won an outing since making his first start for the Red Sox after being acquired from the Indians following four straight losses.

As important as the series may be as a barometer for where the Marlins are right now, Girardi and the team aren't looking towards any future implications that may result from a successful series.

"We're just taking one series at a time and see where we are," Girardi said.

Pitching matchup

BOS: RHP Jason Johnson (3-8, 5.96 ERA)

Johnson, who has lost four straight outings, is making his first start since the Sox acquired him from the Indians on June 21.

FLA: LHP Dontrelle Willis (4-7, 4.05 ERA)

Willis threw a complete game in his last start against the Yankees, but picked up his first loss since May 27.

Interleague by the numbers:

All-time record vs. Boston: 7-11

All-time Marlins Interleague records: 95-69

On the Internet

? Gameday

? Official game notes

On television

? FSN

On radio

? 560 WQAM, 1140 WQBA (Espa?ol)

Series Pitching:

? Saturday: Red Sox (RHP Tim Wakefield, 5-8, 3.86) at Marlins (RHP Brian Moehler, 5-6, 6.55), 6:05 p.m. ET

? Sunday: Red Sox (LHP Jon Lester, 3-0, 2.95) at Marlins (RHP Josh Johnson, 7-4, 2.20), 1:05 p.m. ET

Nice game thread.

If Alex Gonzales swung at ball 1 in the middle of the woods would anyone feel the breeze?

If the Marlins win and then I go walk around the parking lot after the game saying, "how bout those Red Sox?", how many fights will I get into?

Nice game thread.

If Alex Gonzales swung at ball 1 in the middle of the woods would anyone feel the breeze?

If the Marlins win and then I go walk around the parking lot after the game saying, "how bout those Red Sox?", how many fights will I get into?

that scenario reminds me of Matrix: Reloaded when all the Agents come after Neo after he speaks to the Oracle...all i can say...Don...i hope you can fly...or carry protection...and not the kind that goes in your wallet

LET'S GO FISH! I work until 8 :( but this is one that will be worth it to stay up until the replay for!

LET'S GO FISH....BEAT THOSE SAWX

What's the TV sked? Fox Sports carries statewide so I'll be set..but SUN Sports here doesn't carry the Marlins. I'll have to follow on Gameday...because I sure as hell do NOT want to watch fly fishermen playing poker or some crap like that...

Guest ShaqandWade323

I might go to the game tonight.

Scratch that, just found out I'm not going...I'm pissed yet I will still watch them on tv.

"Now at 2K sport, we bring you at Dolphin Stadium. Yes Dolphin Stadium. We are not here to play football, we're here to play some baseball"

"With a team history streaching alllllllll the way back to 1993, the Fish has won 2 championship."

"It been a site for 2 differnt world series team, but yet it is still known for a football team. Today the Florida Marlins are taking on Boston Red Sox"

"Well when the D-Train is on the mound, it can't be fun for the other team"