Israel: "Release our soldier or we assasinate your prime minister

Accord

Now THAT's hardball, Israel doesn't f*** around.

Israel warns: free soldier or PM dies

Middle East correspondent Martin Chulov

July 01, 2006

ISRAEL last night threatened to assassinate Palestinian Prime Minister Ismael Haniyeh if Hamas militants did not release a captured Israeli soldier unharmed.

The unprecedented warning was delivered to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in a letter as Israel debated a deal offered by Hamas to free Corporal Gilad Shalit.

It came as Israeli military officials readied a second invasion force for a huge offensive into Gaza.

Hamas's Gaza-based political leaders, including Mr Haniyeh, had already gone into hiding.

But last night's direct threat to kill Mr Haniyeh, a democratically elected head of state, sharply raised the stakes.

The bid to free Corporal Shalit was brokered by Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who last night warned Hamas it faced severe consequences if it did not curb its "extreme stance" and described the growing conflict as a lightning rod for Palestinian vengeance.

Jerusalem has made no official comment, but Egyptian state media said Israel had found the offer unacceptable. Israel has not spelt out the terms demanded by Hamas, but earlier this week it refused to buy into talk of a prisoner swap.

Thousands of Hamas supporters protested in Gaza City late on Thursday over the arrest by Israeli forces of up to 32 Hamas MPs on the West Bank that day.

A Hamas spokesman said the group would never recognise Israel, in spite of a deal its leaders signed this week offering implicit recognition of the Jewish state in return for easing an economic blockade.

Israeli fighter jets bombed 20 targets in Gaza, including the Interior Ministry, which it said had been used by militants to stage meetings, while artillery hit the northern strip with 500 shells in the 24 hours until yesterday morning.

Jewish settler Eliyahu Asheri, who was murdered by militants this week, was buried on Thursday as leaders of the Popular Resistance Committees pledged to seize more hostages in the West Bank. No further word has emerged about another suspected Jewish hostage, Noach Moskowitz, who Israeli police said was found dead hours after Mr Asheri's remains were found.

Much of Gaza, including two main hospitals, was without power and running water as a UN aid chief warned that the 1.4 million residents of the strip were three days away from a humanitarian crisis.

"They are heading for the abyss unless they get electricity and fuel restored," said emergency relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland, who urged militants to free Corporal Shalit and stop firing rockets into Israel.

Residents complain that sonic booms caused by Israeli jets traumatise children and that shelling confines families to their homes.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has vowed the military will do all it can to avoid civilian deaths if a full-scale assault is launched.

Mr Olmert said the decision to invade northern Gaza had already been delayed to allow Mr Mubarak's negotiations to continue.

The arrested Hamas legislators have been sent to security prisons and many will stand trial on terrorism offences. The detentions have hurt Hamas's already limited ability to govern and are likely to force a regime change.

Israel claims it has intelligence about the area where Corporal Shalit is held, but has been unable to pinpoint the exact location. Mr Olmert said the military would leave the strip if he was unconditionally and safely returned.

Egypt and the neighbouring Arab states of Jordan and Lebanon fear a war between Israel and the Palestinians could lead to uprisings within their own borders, which house many Palestinian refugees.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5-601%2C00.html

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

A Tip of the Hat to Israel:

When you are a democracy loving nation it is okay to threaten to assasinate another country's democratically elected leader. Some might say "Oh but Stephen how does killing off a democratically elected leader help democracy?" Well it's simple.

Bears.

Palestine is full of them. There is a reason Israel gave the Gaza strip back to the Palestinians, because it is full of them.

Doing something like that is pretty much no different then an agreessor country like Iran making it's threats

I didn't realize any Iranian soldiers were being held hostage by TERRORISTS?

Israel is doing whatever it takes to get their man back, PERIOD. Israel is the only nation with enough balls to respond to these *word removed because i'd rather not get banned tonight* in a matter that they understand. You do not f*** with Israel.

First off, I do believe Israel is taking the right position by refusing to negotiate the release of previous prisoners. And I also believe Israel should takes steps necessary to address known and specific threats. But there is always a limit, despite what the war hawks on this board believe.

There will NEVER be a frank and intelligent discussion on this board regarding appropriate measures. Nor will that discussion ever occur regarding this conflict in the mid-east. Emotion and primitive agressiveness are not things with which intelligent and reasonable people can debate. It is like having a debate with a drunk person.

Overzealous and overbroad actions are always justified by narrow-minded people. It is the same mentallity that drives the terrorists. Think about it-A child or mother or father dies accidently in collateral damage and what does a surviving loved one do? He decides that the entire nation of Israel must suffer. His actions become overbroad and overextensive in order to address what caused his anger. Let's take accord's own words and replant them:

I didn't realize any Israeli civilians were killed by official government actions or had their homes taken?

Hamas is doing whatever it takes to get justice, PERIOD. Hamas is the only group with enough balls to respond to these *anti-semitic term to show how irrational this argument is* in a matter that they understand. You do not f*** with Hamas.

See how silly it sounds when it comes from the equally emotional, and irrational opposition?

So this "victim" becomes a member of a terrorist group because it is a logical outlet. Doing whatever is necessary. We are seeing the exact same mentality from both sides and we always will. People just find ways to justify their own side.

And does any intelligent person actually think that the stronger you flex your power and disregard any and all collateral consequences, the LESS likely you will see more retaliation?

Ah hell, whats the point.

Doing something like that is pretty much no different then an agreessor country like Iran making it's threats

I didn't realize any Iranian soldiers were being held hostage by TERRORISTS?

Israel is doing whatever it takes to get their man back, PERIOD. Israel is the only nation with enough balls to respond to these *word removed because i'd rather not get banned tonight* in a matter that they understand. You do not f*** with Israel.

so what if the Israelis were holding hostage Iranian soldiers?

Can they go ahead and say they are going to assassinate the Israeli leader?

Cause its essentially the same damn thing.

First off, I do believe Israel is taking the right position by refusing to negotiate the release of previous prisoners. And I also believe Israel should takes steps necessary to address known and specific threats. But there is always a limit, despite what the war hawks on this board believe.

There will NEVER be a frank and intelligent discussion on this board regarding appropriate measures. Nor will that discussion ever occur regarding this conflict in the mid-east. Emotion and primitive agressiveness are not things with which intelligent and reasonable people can debate. It is like having a debate with a drunk person.

Overzealous and overbroad actions are always justified by narrow-minded people. It is the same mentallity that drives the terrorists. Think about it-A child or mother or father dies accidently in collateral damage and what does a surviving loved one do? He decides that the entire nation of Israel must suffer. His actions become overbroad and overextensive in order to address what caused his anger. Let's take accord's own words and replant them:

I didn't realize any Israeli civilians were killed by official government actions or had their homes taken?

Hamas is doing whatever it takes to get justice, PERIOD. Hamas is the only group with enough balls to respond to these *anti-semitic term to show how irrational this argument is* in a matter that they understand. You do not f*** with Hamas.

See how silly it sounds when it comes from the equally emotional, and irrational opposition?

So this "victim" becomes a member of a terrorist group because it is a logical outlet. Doing whatever is necessary. We are seeing the exact same mentality from both sides and we always will. People just find ways to justify their own side.

And does any intelligent person actually think that the stronger you flex your power and disregard any and all collateral consequences, the LESS likely you will see more retaliation?

Ah hell, whats the point.

Except the fact of the matter is, what I stated above CANNOT be turned around like you just did. You changed it to "I didn't realize any Israeli civilians were killed by official government actions" I hope you realize how far from reality that is.

Hamas has woken up the sleeping giant that is Israel and now they have the option of returning the kidnapped Israeli soldier or dealing with the consequences. It baffles me why some of you can't see the situation for what it really is.

An hour ago I recieved an email from a friend telling me to check out some video abotu Isreal and Palatine. And how the US is to blame for alot of whats goins on. Blah blah. Well, I watched the video. This was my respose to my friend after watching it:

Hey, watching the video on the blog opened a window of questions for me:

1) What is the fellow who made this video deriving his info from?

2) Where did the blog poster get his estimate of 10 million dollars a day of american tax payer money from?

3) The video shows alot of graphic pictures of children and innocent bystanders dead or wounded horribly. Which of course is a neat little trick film editors use to gain viewers to sypathize on the issue the dovumentary/video is trying to get across. Whether it be 100% accurate or not.

That last one wasn't a question I guess, however, it's soemthing I thought about.

To get to my point, I, unlike many, did research on this issue. I do not take documentries at face value. Fareheight 9/11 is a great example, using editing tricks and master video vodoo to maniuplate viewers to believe something which is a half truth, but making it seem accurate.

So, I went to google and went to work. What I found out was troubling. It turns out that this whole war between Isreal and Palestine is about land. I knew that much, but what I didn't know is that the land belonged to Palastine before the Ottoman empire. During that time period most of Africa, including Palastine was under ccupation/mandate of the British. After WW1 in 1917 to ease the upheval of the Arabs in that region, the Foreign Minister of Britain, Lord Balfur decided to allow Palastine to be a soveirgn nation once more. At the same time, the Jews, who were facing persecution from the Arabs and many Europeans, demanded they have a piece of land which later becomes Isreal. Tracking with me so far?

Palastine never became a reality. Isreal basically became a country where Palastine was once was. Land was given to the Palastinians I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but Isreal would have no part of that. Eventually, the Palastinians did get land, but Isreal kept an Iron fist. Since 1917 a war has been brewing with these two. Isreal was attacked many times by Iraq, Syria, Egypt and others, but fended them off.

I could go on for a quick minute about all this. But you should really read up on it. It's very interesting.

This conflict actually goes on futher back than I realized too. Arabs have always been persecuting Jews. Since the times of the Romans. I guess the Jews consider this payback for that. Not to mention, centuries ago Isreal was a country, but was taken over by the Romans and everyone else. The Jews believe they're just taking back whats theirs. Obviously, theyre no better than the ones of persecuted them. But paybacks a bitch.

For the record, after learning this, I in no way am on the side of Isreal on these issues, nor am I on the Arabs. I just wish US involvment was at a minimum. But we must protect out assets. Oil, money and whatever we get for our contiued support of Isreal. It's not morally right, but in a business sense it is. It's a cold world, cruel and unfogiving, but it is how it is. In a perfect world, they would be living in harmony, Arabs, Jews, Christians. But alas, it's far from that.

On a side issue though, I wish that everyone would elighten themselves whcih actual research instead of relying on the Micheal Moores and Rush Limbaughs of the world. There are such things as self inlightenment, and it would save the America, at least, to do that.

Do I agree that the US supports Isreal? Kinda. Only because if this sh*t with North Korea goes down, I'd like the full support of the Jews. Why? They've got one of the strongest militaries in the world. And for such a small country its amazing. N.Korea is dangerous, ask anyone stationed in Osan or Kunsan Air Base in S.Korea. They have exersizes all the time with heavy, hot and unconfortable gear, that probably won't save their lives in a full scale invasion of the North.

I know this was probably not a response you were looking for, and If you read it all, please don't take my word on these issues, actually check it out. I always admit when I'm wrong and I learn when that happens, so I'll be right next time.

Here are a list of my sources:

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/Mi.../Background.asp

http://www.israelipalestinianprocon.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli-Palestinian_conflict

I only had time to read up on three.

Later.

Alex.

Link to blog where the video is, incase yall wanted to see it. It's pretty much as I described.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...a0-09823cc6f7e0

Edit: Excuse my horrible spelling on this, I just got off a 15 our shift.

Seriously, why the world lets two genocidal people goof around like this is beyond me, if I were running things there would be Marines storming Haifa Bay and U.S. grunts patrolling the streets of Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Ramallah. Either that or let them do what they want to do: destroy each other outright instead of this retarded and insincere attempts at peace and diplomacy. The funny thing is that both sides think God favors them and that morality is on thier side, LOL.

Much of Gaza, including two main hospitals, was without power and running water as a UN aid chief warned that the 1.4 million residents of the strip were three days away from a humanitarian crisis.

Whatever it takes!

That is criminal acts, I hope if they really are shutting down power to hospitals on purpose for folks? I hope those responsible get tried in an international court of law for that. That is manslaughter is many innocents.

Seriously, why the world lets two genocidal people goof around like this is beyond me, if I were running things there would be Marines storming Haifa Bay and U.S. grunts patrolling the streets of Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Ramallah. Either that or let them do what they want to do: destroy each other outright instead of this retarded and insincere attempts at peace and diplomacy. The funny thing is that both sides think God favors them and that morality is on thier side, LOL.

Bush...is that you?

For such big news (Israel threatening to kill their PM), there was zero mention of it at all on any of the major news networks tonight, me thinks the article might be fabricated.

The news networks have pretty much ignored this whole story, period.

The Japanese PM's trip to Graceland was put way ahead of this one, which is just plain bad journalism.

Guest marlins02

theres no way the leader of a major country can threaten another leader's life and not make it on the news. this sh*t fake.

Bush...is that you?

Huh? Bush has been Israel's biggest, most faithful supporter and protecter since Reagan and even Reagan would occasionally criticize Israel if thier agenda complicated our own.

Guest Juanky

I hope they kill him. And then I hope some country has the balls to take all of Israel's government to the Hague for doing it.

This conflict is stupid and pointless. Both the Palestinians and Israelies have proven that they do not deserve to be in that area, regardless of what either of their large storybooks tell them. If either of their imaginary friends wanted them to have the land, don't you think this would be over by now?

In a world that's supposed to be intelligent enough to not be fighting stupid wars over stupid things, and in a system where democracies do not fight other democracies under any circumstances (read up on Locke and co. if you don't believe me), this war needs to end. If it takes the civilized countries of the world teaming up and kicking both of these pathetic parties' asses, then so be it. This irrelevent conflict needs to end and it needs to end now with neither side 'winning'.

I don't think Israel would be taking these measures unless they knew Haniyeh was behind the kidnapping. If that's the case, then he's definitely fair game.

Yeah, but not until there's a trial, right?

Or is that only reserved for Gitmo detainees?