Off day discussion - Girardi next year

Iowa

Guest marlins02

i dont know how good he would look if as a first time manager he just jumps ship after the first year to go take another team. also with all the young talent he's got thats been developing nicely, why would he?

If he had the chance to jump to the Cubs ship once they fire Dusty, would he? You'd have to think he would be #1 on their list.

After all the time and effort he has put into coaching and managing this team, I doubt it. Plus he is signed to a three-year contract to be our manager and I doubt he'll be fired after what the team has managed to do so far. Have you read or seen anything to indicate he wants to leave Florida? I haven't.

Other than sentimental reasons, why would he jump ship from a team that has a bright future to one that is floundering?

:thumbup

Don't kid yourselves, managing a team that sucks but has an unlimited payroll, fan support and that has a national TV deal (and a stadium), is a better job than one with no payroll, no fan support and no national tv deal.. not to mention he played in Chicago for a long time and the fans love him.

I just think there's a small chance the cubs throw a lot of money at him... it could happen... and I really really hope it doesn't.

Other than sentimental reasons, why would he jump ship from a team that has a bright future to one that is floundering?

Don't kid yourselves, managing a team that sucks but has an unlimited payroll, fan support and that has a national TV deal (and a stadium), is a better job than one with no payroll, no fan support and no national tv deal.. not to mention he played in Chicago for a long time and the fans love him.

I just think there's a small chance the cubs throw a lot of money at him... it could happen... and I really really hope it doesn't.

i can see why girardi might want to go. but he's not going anywhere until his contract's over. the marlins aren't going to fire him as to accomodate him so he can go manage a better ballclub. and he'd hurt his image by jumping ship after one year, and it'd make it look like girardi didnt' know the firesale II was coming.

Yes he would. It is doubtful that Girardi was informed of the EXTENT of the payroll purge prior to him being introduced as manager. If he leaves, few around the league would hold it against him. Considering his youth and ties to the Cub's organization, he is a sexy pick to succeed Dusty as manager. And, they'll probably throw serious money at him. If the Marlins make the WC, however, then he stays (of course).

Giradi strikes me as a very down to earth and honest guy. He knows that 1 year of success with the Marlins does not make him a proven good manager. For this reason alone, he'll not be going anywhere at the end of this year, not matter how tempting the offer (emotionally and financially).

the marlins aren't going to fire him as to accomodate him so he can go manage a better ballclub.

You say that as if the Cubs are a better team than the Marlins.

I don't think Joe would jump ship, I don't see it happening even for the Yankee job if it was available. However if he did want to leave I doubt the fish would stand in his way, you don't want a manager who doesn't want to be there.

How is this a discussion? There is no WAY IN HELL Joe leaves after this season.. Yea of course donw the road, possibly when Joe Torri calls it quits he will take over for the Yanks

Im not so sure 4Life.....

Look at it this way. Prior to the beginning of Spring Training, what franchise do you think would have been Girardi's choice, Florida or Chicago?

The reasons are too many to list.

Do I want him to go? No way. Is there a chance he goes if Dusty goes? Hell yeah.

Funny this should come up.

A day or so ago some Chicago area writer posed this question and his conclusion is no, don't hire Girardi away from the Marlins now, he isn't good enough (yet) to manage the Cubs. Let him make all his mistakes here, get some respect in the league and then we'll swoop in and steal him away.

Pure horseshit.

He's not good enough "yet" to manage the Cubs...these of course are the same people who wanted JP at all costs, he was after all the Cubs' savior :banghead

Girardi will be here for a long, long time.

unlimited payroll? That's not the Cubs.

Girardi was laughed at for taking this job. We heard how management had to mislead him. Well, these are his boys. This is his team. Uggla is his project. Getting Olsen's head in line...that's Girardi's doing. Developing this young bullpen, that is Joe's.

I would be shocked if he wanted to leave after one season. There are some traits of Girardi's I don't love....namely his loyalty to what he insists has to work (IE: Jacobs versus lefties and Reggie vs. anyone) but that same loyalty will keep him with HIS team IMO.

the marlins aren't going to fire him as to accomodate him so he can go manage a better ballclub.

You say that as if the Cubs are a better team than the Marlins.

statistically this year, you're right, the cubs aren't a better team. but they have the payroll to become the better team. honestly, the cubs (you would think) have a better shot at contending. after all, they're supposed to, there payroll wasn't purged, they (i thought) got better over the offseason. having a leadoff hitter batting .250 hurts. pierre got hot suddenly (right after i'd cut him from my fantasy team) and is up around the .275 mark, i believe. the cubs rely more on d-lee than i had thought. i didn't think his injury would have the effect that it did. he's been back for a while now, and will start hitting again, in turn making the rest of the lineup better. this also greatly helps the defense. as marlins fans know d-lee is the best in the biz at defense. -*flashes back to his pick in the '03 world series "WHAT A PICK by Derrek Lee"-Joe Buck*-...todd walker wasn't that great as his replacement. and if wood and prior are ever healthy *ponders if that'll ever happen*..they can do wonders. they'd have a great rotation, 3 aces pitching for them..kinda like the astros.

If he's offered the Yankee or Cub job, I'd be shocked if he turned it down.

However, there is much behind the scenes activity that must go on for that to happen.

You can't be contracturally obligated to two teams at once and the Marlins have no reason to let him go. And the Cubs aren't going to wait two more years to replace Dusty, nor will they bring in a caretaker.

Frankly, Swift I would think if Girardi was approached about managing another team, in this case we're talking about the Cubs, I would think that would be tampering, not to mention cause a huge uproar among owners who don't want their executives or onfield mangerial personnel poached by another owner. Sets a really bad precedent.

We're not talking about an Asst GM like Hill being offered a general managers' job where that kind of move it viewed differently. This is, as I said above, poaching pure and simple, and it won't happen.