Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which of the "Big Three" are most likey...

Featured Replies

to succeed next season? I hope and pray that all 3 continue this but I cant expect it. So.. Which of the three rookies do you see having a successful season next year? Any reason why?

 

Josh Johnson

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

 

I didnt include Anibal because we really havent seen him on a regular basis.

i really think all 3 will have a sucessful season. Josh I did not pick, because I already have him on a higher pedistol than the others. Ricky may slow down...so by process of elimination...my man Scott Olsen!

Wow no love for Ricky!

 

The guy has always been scouted as having great control (and he does, don't let his walks fool you)...And now he is displaying some sick movement and high velocity (94-95).

 

I am in love with this guy. Can't wait to see him pitch in person tomorrow from behind home plate! Thanks Swifty!

Josh Johnson is my favorite to watch, but I have a feeling that Olsen will have the best season of the three next year.

I think Josh is the guy who has the biggest upside and best stuff. However, Olsen has the make up to be a great lefty a la Leiter/Glavine. Time will tell, but right now we are lucky to have those guys in our rotation.

My guess is Olsen. No one better has come out of this organization in a long time, stuff wise. Only Big Tex was better. Also has the cocky temperment to succeed.

 

JJ has the bulldog mentality.

 

Nolasco has pitched long seasons before. So he might rebound better at first.

 

But Olsen is, IMO, going to be the best pitcher to ever be developed by our farm system.

My guess is Olsen. No one better has come out of this organization in a long time, stuff wise. Only Big Tex was better. Also has the cocky temperment to succeed.

 

JJ has the bulldog mentality.

 

Nolasco has pitched long seasons before. So he might rebound better at first.

 

But Olsen is, IMO, going to be the best pitcher to ever be developed by our farm system.

 

 

Didn't we develop JJ too? I'd say that it is a battle between those two guys but i'll give an edge to JJ because of his numbers this year.

I def think that Olsen has the makeup to win and win for years to come but I am well aware of Nolasco and his ability to come through ... I see him as a good number 3 for years to come ... ala Pavano

Olsen would be my slight favorite to have the best season next year. He's really come on as of late, and as others have mentioned he really has that bulldog mentality going for him. Hopefully his shoulder can handle the workload. If and when we're out of the wildcard chase, I hope all of our starters see fewer innings, giving our September callups some work.

 

Josh will be a great workhorse for us when he gets a little more experience and starts producing outs with fewer pitches. He's a big dude and doesn't seem to tire in the later innings as Olsen and especially Nolasco have. He could turn into an ace down the line but is more likely to be a good, very dependable #2 guy in the rotation.

 

I remember in spring training, there was an article (ESPN Magazine?) where several Marlins hitters were asked which young Marlins pitcher had the best pure stuff, and all of them said Nolasco. He certainly has a lot of potential and isn't bad right now. I'd like to see Nolasco work on his conditioning. D-Train has always been an excellent athlete, and Josh and Scott have improved their fitness over the last couple years...Ricky should follow their lead. Right now he's gassed at around the 90-100 pitch mark, despite being older and logging more minor league innings than Johnson/Olsen. Don't get me wrong though, he's quite a talent, and I think he'll have a break out year...in 2008.

My guess is Olsen. No one better has come out of this organization in a long time, stuff wise. Only Big Tex was better. Also has the cocky temperment to succeed.

 

JJ has the bulldog mentality.

 

Nolasco has pitched long seasons before. So he might rebound better at first.

 

But Olsen is, IMO, going to be the best pitcher to ever be developed by our farm system.

 

 

Didn't we develop JJ too? I'd say that it is a battle between those two guys but i'll give an edge to JJ because of his numbers this year.

 

Yes, I still think Olsen is the better of the two though.

Yea Olsen has been the best pitcher in our system for years compared to JJ who actually came out of nowhere last year.

 

Stuff wise you have to say Olsen but I love JJ's mentality and he has 3 consistent pitches (FB,SL,CH) while Olsen basically dominates with the two (FB, SL), which scares me a litlte bit but He'll be fine :lol

Josh Johnson is my favorite to watch, but I have a feeling that Olsen will have the best season of the three next year.

I think all three will succeed but one that gets my attention is JJ

 

JJ has the mentality of a big time pitcher, have you seen when uggla made that error on him about two starts ago? He screaming at Uggla telling him not to worry and to worry about the next play and he was cheering him up (all of this in a good way). He attacks the strike zone and has a decent little slider.

The person Im scared about for next season is anibal. Hes like 10 innings away from the most amount of innings of his career.

 

If he is going to continuously be apart of the rotation hes going to blow bye that number and that scares me for next year.

Scotty O mainly due to the fact his stuff is effective against both lefties and righties.

 

Johnson definitely needs to work on his changeup as does Nolasco, as neither have a true out pitch against lefties.

The person Im scared about for next season is anibal. Hes like 10 innings away from the most amount of innings of his career.

 

If he is going to continuously be apart of the rotation hes going to blow bye that number and that scares me for next year.

 

That's such a taboo...and I'm not saying you're wrong here..

 

But everyone just assumes that he can't pitch more innings than he did last year. But who says he isn't capable of pitching 200 plus?

Hmm, I found this one tough, olsen and JJ are my favorites but Nolasco knows how to make adjustments very well and he proved that after getting shitted on in 2 outings in a row, then starts to pitch amazingly.

Yea Olsen has been the best pitcher in our system for years compared to JJ who actually came out of nowhere last year.

 

Stuff wise you have to say Olsen but I love JJ's mentality and he has 3 consistent pitches (FB,SL,CH) while Olsen basically dominates with the two (FB, SL), which scares me a litlte bit but He'll be fine :lol

 

Olsen has really developed a nice changeup.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.