3RD Place Finish

The Florida Marlins should have one goal in mind. That goal is that they should want to finish no lower than 3rd place in the NL East. I would have to say that the wild card is a strech, but finishing in 3rd or maybe even 2nd in the NL East is not. Just think of what an accomplishment that would be, the youngest team in baseball; not expected to win many games finishes in 3rd place or higher in the NL East, that would be great.

As you can see from below the Marlins are 1 game back of the Braves, and only 3 games behind the Phillies for 2nd place in the NL East.

National League East Standings as of 8-19-06

New York 73- 48 .603

Philadelphia 59- 62 .488 14.0

Atlanta 57- 64 .471 16.0

Florida 56- 65 .463 17.0

Washington 54- 68 .443 19.5

Not to mention the Marlins have 5 games left in the season against the Braves, and 10 games left against the Phillies. Do you guys think that the Marlins can reach this goal?

There really shouldnt be any goals. As long as everyone gets experience and improves for next year, then I dont care if we finish last. I predicted a 100 loses this past offseason, so I am happy already.

I agree with this. I know I will get blasted for this, but I honestly believe a higher draft pick(in what will be one of the strongest drafts since the Prior/Mauer draft) is more important than finishing .500.

This year was about getting the young guys experience, not wearing out the young arms, and seeing who fits for the future. So far we've accomplished all 3.

There really shouldnt be any goals. As long as everyone gets experience and improves for next year, then I dont care if we finish last. I predicted a 100 loses this past offseason, so I am happy already.

I agree with this. I know I will get blasted for this, but I honestly believe a higher draft pick(in what will be one of the strongest drafts since the Prior/Mauer draft) is more important than finishing .500.

This year was about getting the young guys experience, not wearing out the young arms, and seeing who fits for the future. So far we've accomplished all 3.

I would say in the NFL that is more of an issue, but in baseball not so much.

Anyways, does it really matter where we finish? If we arent going to win the division, make the wild card or finish .500, then who cares where we finish?

Who's Mark Prior? I haven't seen much of him since October 2003.

(Yes he did have an okay 2005, but little good it did the Cubs)

Regardless of the logic and common sense of getting better draft picks versus winning more games, who can really admit that when they watch a game they are thinking of future picks and hoping the fish lose the game. I doubt anyone here does anything other than root for the home team. We want the key hit, the big strikeout or double play in every single game because when the game starts we are thinking win. I wouldn't go to the games or watch on the tube if I want them to lose for a better pick.

Regardless of the logic and common sense of getting better draft picks versus winning more games, who can really admit that when they watch a game they are thinking of future picks and hoping the fish lose the game. I doubt anyone here does anything other than root for the home team. We want the key hit, the big strikeout or double play in every single game because when the game starts we are thinking win. I wouldn't go to the games or watch on the tube if I want them to lose for a better pick.

I agree with you, however does it really matter what place the marlins finish this year? Are you going to remember in 5 years that we finished 3rd or 4th, let alone care?

We need to just be happy with what we get this year. I think a 4th place finish most realistic, but if we could get 3rd and finish ahead of the hated Braves it would really make the year a success. Also I could give it to all of my Georgia relatives. :lol A couple of my cousins really gave it to me at the begininng of the year because of the rookies and payroll.

I still don't see any reason why this team would finish at or above .500. The bullpen is just awful, and we have huge holes in our lineup one you get past 1-5. When the young arms start to wear down even more, there are going to be some very ugly games. I'm just happy that the players we have seem to be talented and capable of being very good for a full season within the next couple of years. The wild card is IMPOSSIBLE, and getting to .500 is improbable. It's nice that there are so many optimists on this board, but setting your hopes so high is only going to lead to a huge letdown. Yes, the Fish are only 3 games out of 2nd place- but they are also 2 games out of last place. If Washington wins 2 in a row, and FL loses 2 in a row, they are tied for last. Being 5.5 out of the wild card sounds pretty nice also, but the fact is that the entire National League is playing at about the same level aside from 3 horrible teams and a couple good ones. This has been a good year for the Marlins, but don't expect them to finish too close to .500, because it may get ugly for them real soon. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but I haven't been so far.

I cannot agree more.