Girardi's Future With This Team

syder21

I think he'll be back and I'd like him back.

Unless there's something going on behind closed doors that we as fans aren't aware of and the team has quit on "him."

He gets these guys to play, and that's big.

I think if we make the WC, he's back. Otherwise, he's a goner. Can't see the FO giving him the boot if we actually make it to the playoffs.

no :( and yes...I am probably one of his biggest supporter on these boards...what he has done so far is amazing...and the fact is that if he was with any other team with this same bunch of rookies and same record, even with the "bonehead moves" he would not be fired. He is just not Loria's guy....if he does stay, great...if not, I say McKeeon will return.

I would like to see him back. He motivates the players and gets them ready to play. He has managed differently than I would have liked to see in some situations, and he might not be the best manager when it comes to in-game tactics, but I would like to see him back. Whether Loria is willing to give up his feud with Girardi is a different story, although if he is making the right decision he will keep him.

if they get rid of him and bring in some goon.. who has all kind of experience.. yet cant coach his way out of a shower stall.. yall ga be askin for him back...

no problem with joe.. he's made some questionable decisions.. but overall has done a great job with this team.. i'd like to see him stick around..

also.. do we really want yet another reason for the media to laugh at this organization?

What I think many of fans who want Girardi gone do not realize is that it has been his coaching abilities and NOT his in-game managerial tactics that have helped to put the team in the position it is in. Also you have to realize he is a first year manager. If we had a manager this season who made excellent in-game decisions but was a terrible coach I think we may have been near dead last in the standings right now.

Will Girardi make mistakes and has he made mistakes as far as in-game decisions go? Yes, many of them. Will that improve as he gets more seasons under his belt? Joe is a pretty smart guy and I think he will learn from his mistakes and those decisions will improve. The fact that we started off 20 games under .500 and now, on September 15, we find the Marlins in the thick of the Wild Card race means there should be no question as to whether he should be the manager next year.

if they get rid of him and bring in some goon.. who has all kind of experience.. yet cant coach his way out of a shower stall.. yall ga be askin for him back...

no problem with joe.. he's made some questionable decisions.. but overall has done a great job with this team.. i'd like to see him stick around..

also.. do we really want yet another reason for the media to laugh at this organization?

Again, giving Girardi credit for success is a huge stretch. While he certainly contributed in certain areas to give him all of the credit is ridiculous.

And the media won't laugh at us next year when the Marlins compete right out of the gate and the Cubs finish dead last.

no one..

well at least i am certainly not giving giradi credit for all of the success.. a manager is only as good as the talent around him.. but Joe.. along with the rest of the coaching staff have done a great job with a buncha no-name rookies..

the players cannot do it on their own..

What I think many of fans who want Girardi gone do not realize is that it has been his coaching abilities and NOT his in-game managerial tactics that have helped to put the team in the position it is in. Also you have to realize he is a first year manager. If we had a manager this season who made excellent in-game decisions but was a terrible coach I think we may have been near dead last in the standings right now.

Will Girardi make mistakes and has he made mistakes as far as in-game decisions go? Yes, many of them. Will that improve as he gets more seasons under his belt? Joe is a pretty smart guy and I think he will learn from his mistakes and those decisions will improve. The fact that we started off 20 games under .500 and now, on September 15, we find the Marlins in the thick of the Wild Card race means there should be no question as to whether he should be the manager next year.

I totally disagree. Most of it just comes down to natural talent. You can supply no evidence to support the notion that Girardi's "coaching" is what enabled the players to take the team to where it is now. The main role of the manager is in game decisions.

That is most true in baseball than in most other sports. I just have a problem with everyone in the world immediately giving Girardi credit for the success when there is no real evidence of it. That is fallacious.

The answer that makes the most sense is the obvious one. The team that was assembled is just that good. Just look at the strengths of the staff and look at the weaknesses. Then look where the more highly regarded talent is.

It is ridiculous to point to the manage

While talent has a lot to do with the Marlins success, you cannot discount the job Girardi has done coaching these rookies. I can supply plenty of evidence if forced to, but I think everyone has already seen it. There are piles of articles filled with quotes from players praising Girardi for the job he has done coaching/managing this team and crediting him for the turnaround the team has made. Besides that evidence, there is the on field results. Talent has a lot to do with it, but if it was always just the talent then why did the Marlins get off to such a rough start? Did the whole team or most of the team suddenly get a huge boost in talent? No talent teams have no chance, but even the most talented teams are not guaranteed to be World Series champs.

If the Marlins dont make the playoffs Girardi wont be back. The FO has already made strides trying to make him look bad.

All the wins have gotten in the way a little......lol

I would love to have Girardi back. Baseball managers are overrated in my opinion and dont have as much of an effect on the game as most people think.

But the kids play well under Girardi and isnt that what matters?

No manager could get more wins out of this team because the 2 or 3 losses that could be attributed to poor decision making by Girardi were offset by several wins that were due to his intangibles.

I've already said that he contributed to the team in an intangible sense, but that does not necessarily equate to Girardi's baseball knowledge. I happen to think in baseball most of the performance you get out of a player boils down to natural ability. I happen to think that even coaches like Mazzone get too much credit. Why is Bruce Chen having such a horrible season this year with his second stint with Mazzone? It seems like too many people (including players) wrongly feel forced to give credit to one particular source.

And of course the players will say positive things to reporters when their playing time is on the line. What do they have to gain by bashing the manager in print? You can give me a glowing praise of Girardi from every player on the roster and that still wouldn't necessarily be valid.

And in terms of on field performance...isn't it ironic that the Marlins started to play better when the front office got its way?

And a lot of that has to do with INDIVIDUAL adjustment to the major leagues.

Girardi has a lifetime of baseball knowledge. His managerial knowledge is being built on the job as a first year manager. Yeah, a first year manager with a team filled with mostly first year players and what has he done? He has managed to help put them into the playoff race.

I won't discount the Marlins talent. They are extremely talented and have the nucleus of one of the most dangerous batting orders and starting rotations and the NL for years to come. And I'd agree natural ability is the largest factor in whether a team will win or not. But not totally when you are talking about a team full of rookies. Girardi has helped these rookies REALIZE their talent and some would say play above their talent level.

As far as players praising Girardi, what do they have to gain from falsely praising Girardi? The players are not stupid. They could see the writing on the wall. Loria made it clear he has had a problem with Girardi since August, the FO was leaking embarassing info on him, he was almost fired. Yet still, AFTER all of that happened, they went out of their way to praise the job Girardi has done. I think that speaks volumes. Much more than some unnamed source(s) in the FO badmouthing Girardi.

I find it ironic that you are willing to believe anything put out by UNNAMED Marlins front office sources about moves Girardi wanted to make but totally discount anything players OPENLY say about Girardi.

What Joe G has done is beyond imagination but he will turn in his uniform at the end of the season. He will be the next in line to replace Don Baylor. Hey Loria can employ whoever he pleases but firing Joe G is soooooo wrong! I just can't think of anyone would like to see managing the Marlins next year. Can we make Conine a playing manager?

As every day passes, I'm more and more convinced Joe won't be here next year, though I'd like for him to be. I think continuity is important for younger players, as far as coaching goes. The only thing that would stop the F.O. from pulling the trigger would be the PR hit they'd take (though it hasn't stopped them before).