Marlins' Gonzalez: Facial hair allowed

MrAndMrsFish

Old manager Joe Girardi prohibited it. New manager Fredi Gonzalez is permitting it. The question becomes: can any of the puberulent Marlins grow it?

''Some of these guys, it might take eight months just to grow a mustache,'' said Gonzalez, who is lifting the ban on facial hair, a restriction Girardi put in place when he was hired a year ago.

Girardi and his Sgt. Carter burr are gone, snip-snipped by the Marlins after only one season as manager. In his place arrives Gonzalez, who has nary a strand on his shaved head but doesn't mind if the young Marlins sprout whiskers on their chins and cheeks -- to a degree.

''None of this ZZ Top stuff,'' warned Gonzalez, referring to the long-bearded rockers. ``They have to keep it nice and trim.''

By order of Girardi, last year's Marlins couldn't grow beards or mustaches. The Marlins' raw rookies looked like Marine recruits on Parris Island. A couple of players -- reliever Taylor Tankersley and outfielder Cody Ross -- took it to the extreme, going hairless from the neck up, while a few of the others, such as Miguel Cabrera and Hanley Ramirez, had close-cropped hair by season's end.

Now they can let it all hang out, up to a point.

''That's cool,'' Tankersly said. ``We've got a few guys on our team who probably need to grow some facial hair to cover our ugly faces up.''

Gonzalez said he doesn't want to see any long sideburns, or hair extending below the base of the neck in back.

''I'm all for individuality,'' Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez said he even plans to grow a short goatee.

''The reason is that's the only place I can grow hair,'' he said. ``I can't grow any on my head.''

Outfielder Josh Willingham said he expects some Marlins to experiment a little. But he said he is reluctant to make any predictions on what the results will look like.

''I'm sure some people will take advantage of it,'' Willingham said. ``But it'll be patchy, at best, for some of the guys.''

LINK

With all the sad news going around here is a little bright story that might bring a smile to some Fish Fans faces

Hmmm. Not the response I figured from the posters. Two fins up to everyone.

I never did like the GI Joe approach to the team when it came to hair length and facial hair. Even asked him in jest during FanFest season ticket holder's meeting if the fans had to have the same code. He took it a little too seriously. But I felt it was a "This is the way we did it in NY" type thing and I always wanted to ask if he noticed the palm trees as he was driving into work.

If a couple of the guys sprout goatee's I'll not mind :notworthy

My choices : Josh Willingham, Logan Kensing and Jeremy Hermida....total gay fanatsy men with goatee's

I thought the no facial hair policy was great.

Everyone looked real professional as oppossed to the Oakland A's homeless person look.

Ture, the worst of all time was the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies. Dear god they look horrible. :banghead

Hmmm. Not the response I figured from the posters. Two fins up to everyone.

I never did like the GI Joe approach to the team when it came to hair length and facial hair. Even asked him in jest during FanFest season ticket holder's meeting if the fans had to have the same code. He took it a little too seriously. But I felt it was a "This is the way we did it in NY" type thing and I always wanted to ask if he noticed the palm trees as he was driving into work.

I like that ? two fins up! :D I think I?ll use it.

I agree with you on this. While it?s not the most important thing in the world and hardly a defining factor for a manager I just didn?t care for the policy. The Yankees though have recently been allowing facial hair.