November 28, 200619 yr DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A homeowners' association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan. Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs. He said some residents believed the wreath was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said. "Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday. Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing." Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas. "Now that it has come to this I feel I can't get bullied," she said. "What if they don't like my Santa Claus?" The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive." The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee. Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Kearns fired all five committee members. http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/27/peace.wreath.ap/index.html
November 28, 200619 yr "Come to Colorado, lose the right of Free Speach" Go to Colorado and you lose your 1st amendment rights.... go to California and you lose your 2nd amendment rights.
November 28, 200619 yr What the hell? "Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday. Okay, but she didn't. It was a peace sign for crying out loud. "Symbol of Satan." Wow. Just wow.
November 28, 200619 yr This is the most liberal thing I'm ever going to say, but she should be fined if she violated any agreement in the homeowners association. Laws are laws and they must be respected, even something trivial like this.
November 28, 200619 yr Author This is the most liberal thing I'm ever going to say, but she should be fined if she violated any agreement in the homeowners association. Laws are laws and they must be respected, even something trivial like this. Can I ask in what sense that's liberal? If it's the classic concept of liberal then certainly arbitrary rules on one's own home doesn't fit. If it's the bastardized Rush Limbaugh/accord use of liberal, then being anti-war should provide her an additional welfare check. But yeah, Im fine with contract enforcement. I doubt any homeowner association contract gives this much leeway though. This is obviously pretextual.
November 28, 200619 yr "Come to Colorado, lose the right of Free Speach" Go to Colorado and you lose your 1st amendment rights.... go to California and you lose your 2nd amendment rights. never said any different why I dont live there. But if I was her I would suit the crap out of that home-owners association.
November 28, 200619 yr I live in Coral Gables where across the street from me is this historical old female not mentioning any names. She has a sign that says "war is failure". If you are familiar with Coral Gables there are strict rules such as not parking a pickup truck in front of your house, or boat, you have to go through architectural review boards if you want to change the color of your house and etc.. You also get citations if your vehicles tire just touches the sidewalk. There are also code enforcement violations for having signs like this posted in front of your property. The sad thing about this lady is that she calls code enforcement on everyone else in the neighborhood if they have a small violation. I could only imagine what would happen if someone calls code enforcement on this lady and say lady your also in violation with that sign in front of your house.
November 28, 200619 yr Just looking at that wreath, I can see it screams "Hail Satan!" You show her, Denver!
November 28, 200619 yr Well, while she isn't violating a law, she IS breaking the rules of the home owner's association. She has the right to peacefully protest and force them to take her to court over the matter rather than pay her fine if she so chooses. My home town has some equally stupid rules for businesses on main street. For example, you may only hang WHITE lights during the holiday season. Red, Green, or Blue bulbs are not permitted... Whatever.
November 28, 200619 yr Calling code enforcement on someone is such a douchebag thing to do, especially on something as small as this "Symbol of Satan"
November 28, 200619 yr My neighbor [the evil witch of a wife] called the FD on me for burning some branches in my fire pit. The department I'm a MEMBER of responded. That crap stopped when they had a 911 medical call at their house at like 2 in the morning and I showed up on their doorstep in charge of patient care for her hubby. Speaking of which, it's chilly tonight. Anyone want a smore? :mischief
November 28, 200619 yr Just another example of the ongoing war on christmas. Bill O'Reilly must be furious!!!
November 29, 200619 yr Just another example of the ongoing war on christmas. Bill O'Reilly must be furious!!! You mean John Gibson?
November 29, 200619 yr My neighbor [the evil witch of a wife] called the FD on me for burning some branches in my fire pit. The department I'm a MEMBER of responded. That crap stopped when they had a 911 medical call at their house at like 2 in the morning and I showed up on their doorstep in charge of patient care for her hubby. Speaking of which, it's chilly tonight. Anyone want a smore? :mischief :lol :lol
November 29, 200619 yr I find it funny how the Republicans on this board are talking about code enforcement, but when it comes to flying a flag (which may be a code violation in some HOAs), whoa, the bitch-and-moan fest REALLY starts.
November 29, 200619 yr I find it funny how the Republicans on this board are talking about code enforcement, but when it comes to flying a flag (which may be a code violation in some HOAs), whoa, the bitch-and-moan fest REALLY starts. I find it funny how the liberals on this board care so little about Old Glory. Patriotism MY ASS.
November 29, 200619 yr Just another example of the ongoing war on christmas. Bill O'Reilly must be furious!!! You mean John Gibson? It's always been O'Reilly that whines about the "War on Christmas". Sorry, but 1st Amendment>2nd Amendment. Always.
November 29, 200619 yr Sorry, but 1st Amendment>2nd Amendment. Always. And who made you the constitution police? You're such an elitist jackass. The 2nd Amendment ensures that all the others are able to exist, get that through your thick brain housing group.
November 29, 200619 yr That is why I hate condo / homeowner associations! I'll second that. Sorry, but 1st Amendment>2nd Amendment. Always. And who made you the constitution police? You're such an elitist jackass. Dude can you manage to disagree with someone without resorting to this stuff?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.