Rays Sign Choi

SonataArctica121

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Rays Sign Hee-Seop Choi

According to the Korean Times, the Rays have signed free agent first baseman Hee-Seop Choi. The contract is a 2-year deal valued at $1.95 million. Choi, 27, has not played in the major leagues since 2005, having played last year for the Red Sox AAA affiliate, the Pawtucket Red Sox. In 66 games he batted .207 with 8 home runs and 27 RBI. He has played parts of four seasons in the big leagues with the Cubs, Marlins and Dodgers. In 2005, Choi hit .253 with 15 home runs and 42 runs driven in for the Dodgers.

Choi will be invited to spring training as a non-roster invitee with an opportunity to compete for the starting first base job. The move is a clear indication that the Rays front office is not afraid to spend money on free agents. There is no guarantee that Choi will begin the regular season as the starting first baseman with several in-house candidates already set to compete for the job, including Ty Wiggington, and several players that could be moved to fill the void, such as Jorge Cantu, Jonny Gomes and Elijah Dukes. In the past, $2 million would have been too steep of a price for a player that might not even make the opening day 25-man roster. This is yet another sign that the Rays may be ready to loosen the purse strings when value presents itself.

Not bad at all. A POWER hitting 1st basemen with sloppy low end defense going to an AL team. This could turn out to be a good 20 HR year for Choi from the DH spot, might not be so bad, what do they have to lose, at about 950K salary a year, that's great.

Sloppy Defense? From what I remember he was pretty decent with the glove. Not a gold glover like Lee but far from being sloppy.

that one at home against the Phillies was awesome

I'll never forget that one.

I was taking a huge swig from my beer right before he hit that one and I almost choked to death from the sheer ownage of it all.

I was up in the booth with Boog and DVH and they went absolutely nuts. So much fun. Boog called it too.

Yep.. Amazing power. The 2 bombs that standout the most for me are the ones he hit on Opening Day and the one he hit just days before he got traded. I forget who it was against, but I remember it was huge and either won the game, or gave the Marlins the lead.

Vs the Phillies

Hmm, between Crawford and Choi the DRays now have two of my favorite players. *starts watching*

I was taking a huge swig from my beer right before he hit that one and I almost choked to death from the sheer ownage of it all.

I was up in the booth with Boog and DVH and they went absolutely nuts. So much fun. Boog called it too.

2 questions

what connections do you have to be up in the booth?

and...

DVH went "crazy"? :mischief2 :blink:

2 questions

what connections do you have to be up in the booth?

and...

DVH went "crazy"? :mischief2 :blink:

well DVH was high 5ing atleast

Boog and the rest of us were going apeshit