Nats might trade Cordero

SonataArctica121

WASHINGTON -- Closer Chad Cordero is realistic when it comes to discussing his future with the Nationals. He knows the team wants to improve the farm system and it is willing to trade him for prospects or young Major Leaguers. The Nationals also feel they can find a two-inning closer much easier than they can find a pitcher who could pitch six or seven innings.

According to published reports, the Red Sox have the most interest in Cordero, although it appears, for now, that Joel Pineiro will replace Jonathan Papelbon as the closer.

"I understand where the Nationals are coming from," Cordero said. "They can trade me for a couple of guys who can help them out in two years."

The Nationals have been mum when it comes to trade talks or Cordero's future. Cordero is arbitration eligible and, pretty soon, both parties have to talk about dollar figures.

"[The trade talks] has not affected me at all. If it happens, it happens. I can't do anything about it," Cordero said. "I would love to stay in D.C. But if I get traded, I 'll play to the best of my abilities for the team I'm traded to."

Asked if he expected to be a member of the Nationals in 2007, Cordero said, "I don't know. I hope so. I love the Nationals and I want to play for [manager] Manny [Acta]. Right now, I really don't know.

"It would be good to go out and play in Boston because of the history of the team. It would be cool to play in Fenway the whole year. If it doesn't happen, I will go back to D.C. and do what I've been doing the last couple of years."

Last year, Cordero did not duplicate his 2005 season in which he saved 47 games with a 1.82 ERA. During the first half of 2006, Cordero had problems getting hitters out. Not having much of a Spring Training was the reason for a slow start, according to Cordero.

Complete coverage >

The right-hander played for Team USA during the World Baseball Classic, but pitched 1 1/3 innings. But Cordero put it all together after the All-Star Break and had a 2.30 ERA with 16 saves. Everyone took notice that his fastball had more zip during the second half.

"It was full of ups and downs," Cordero said. "I would have a couple of good outings, and then I would have outings where I would give up five runs like I did against Atlanta and San Diego."

If Cordero is traded, the Nationals could use either Jon Rauch or Ryan Wagner as the closer.

Rauch had the best year of his career in '06. He appeared in 85 games as a setup man and had a 3.35 ERA. He struck out 86 batters in 91 1/3 innings and opponents hit .231 against him.

General manager Jim Bowden drafted Wagner as a closer in 2003, when both were with the Reds. Wagner posted a 3.54 ERA in his final 24 appearances in a Nationals uniform.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

It would be difficult, what do you guys think it would take to actually get him? the only problem why it doesn't seem realistic though "Cordero is arbitration eligible and, pretty soon, both parties have to talk about dollar figures"

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Not going to happen, just because of the division. If the Nats were willing to strengthen us in order to bring talent into their system they would have done it last year for Soriano.

You make the mistake of assuming that Jim Bowden has the abillity for rational thought, or even a brain. There was absolutely no reason for them not to trade him last season. From my perspective, that decision alone is reason enough for him to be blackballed from ever getting a job in this league again.

EDIT: And this isn't happening.

Would rather make Ricky the closer and let Mitre/J. Garcia/Petit battle it out in the spring, with hopefully Gaby Hernandez ready to make a contribution all-star break if needed. Cordero is a nice arm, but I don't really see a need for him at the expense of what would have to be our top pitching prospect to acquire him.

Not going to happen, therfore not worth discussing. Plus why would they trade within their division?

why even have a forum?

Because it's a Florida Marlins forum, where you discuss what the Florida Marlins are actually doing, I mean it's a good idea, but why get our hopes up over something that is not going to happen.

Would rather make Ricky the closer and let Mitre/J. Garcia/Petit battle it out in the spring, with hopefully Gaby Hernandez ready to make a contribution all-star break if needed. Cordero is a nice arm, but I don't really see a need for him at the expense of what would have to be our top pitching prospect to acquire him.

Im in this camp in terms of the hypothetical Cordero trade.