Hanley

TSwift25

Guy's still clearly favoring his hammy. I know this series is a huge one (by early season standards) but it makes me cringe to see him have to burn it when he's probably not even 80% yet and has a serious risk for reinjury.

If you're Freddi, do you alternate him and Amezaga for the next week or just sit Hanley all together?

I realize he's unquestionably our most "important" player offensively but I'm worried that we're being too quick with him.

Freddy said he's 90% ready and that he feels fine. He run fine today, probably didn't run all that hard at first to not risk re injuring but later in the game he run full speed and slowed down carefully after first base.

I'm sure the team and the trainer are being careful and if they give him the green light there's little risk.

Hanley has to come out of last nite's game no later than the 7th inning,

Ridiculous.

I'm using Don's post to jump off of but I agree with everyone from the first on down who have to wonder why was he out there in the eighth and ninth innings with a mega-lead and Amezaga on the bench (unless perhaps, it dawns on me, AA is a little knicked up himself but assuming he isn't).

Ramirez defensively is not able to make even routine plays and watching him run is agonizing. I know the guy is a gamer and those making decisions are closer to and have more facts at their disposal than I do but I admit to being a bit nuts in the game thread last night when the Marlins had built enough of a lead that he didn't need to be there. Worse came to worse, since Boone was in the game, either he or Miggy(we're talking six outs here) could have slid in there, however you want to do it, and Jacobs plays first if AA isn't available.

Sure baffled me why he played the whole game.

He needs to sit or go on the DL until that hammy is healed.

He should have easily had 2 infield hits last night, and he barely had one (and thats because Woodward has a crap arm)

If he goes to the DL, do you think its possible Josh Labandeira or Scott Seabol get a call?

Well neither is on the 40 man, and while we may have a spot open, I doubt we waste it on one of them. More likely Andino.

I think the real kick in the teeth is that with him having played last night, you can't retroactively DL him.

He probably needs another week off, but I don't think we can afford to lose him for 15 days, nor do I think that the extra 8 days will do him all that much good as far as healing goes.

All I'm saying was that I was shocked to see him in that condition last night after it seemed in the Brewers series that he was being held out until he was unquestionably 100%, and there's certainly a question.

He just wasn't turning on the burners last night. On purpose.

The one hit were he did get the infield single he turned them on, then pulled up gingerly running through the bag, as he did every time he had to run to first.

Maybe I was seeing something totally different, but it was the acceleration that was an issue, it was the slowing down. That means problems could occur if he were to have to leg out a double, or lord forbid, a triple right now.

I think he looked fine. We all know what a sore hammy feels like...and even though he cringed slightly after running to 1st he definitely seemed fine overall. If it didn't hit him last night, I think he'll just continue to improve.

I've pulled a hammy before and it didn't get better if I tried to push it. The only way Hanley heals is with rest.

He's unquestionably our most "important" player offensively

I don't see why that statement is unquestionable. I'd say Miggy is more important.

Well, not really. Our offense goes when Hanley goes. He generates just about everything. When He is in the game, good things just happen. You should know what I mean if you watched the Brewers series compared to the Nats/Phils...

He's unquestionably our most "important" player offensively

I don't see why that statement is unquestionable. I'd say Miggy is more important.

Miggy was still predictably great during the Brewers series and we struggled.

It's no surprise that Hanley's been in the lineup for our serious offensive explosions.

Miggy's better, Miggy's the HOF caliber player, but Hanley's the key to the offense...and not in a lame fast leadoff hitter "he disrupts the pitcher" kind of way, in the 5 tool spark plug at the top that is probably going to be standing on third for Miggy, Hammer or Jake.

What tswift said that stands out is 5 tool. Hanley can steal a base at the top of the order and beat out infield hits. A crappy hammy and that tool is taken away. He is also the shortstop, aka the best glove on the field. A hammy limits range. Having a subpar hanley and create the potential of having a subpar hanley for a while, is a ridiculous idea. I was surprised he was not pulled after the long walk back to the dugout after being thrown out at first.

I dont like playing a guy that has the potential to be an allstar this season just because its an important early series. Although these games all count, missing Hanley for an extra series or a game or two is much better than a 15 day layoff. Besides, part of Hanleys game is explosiveness, and you cant be shadez missing a leg.