Offense

Out of the Past

We have a very talented offense.. just need to Hanley back in the lead off spot.. which i suspect we will do when Jake is back.

I'd like to say again, wouldnt mind leading off boone while jake is hurting if we insist on leading off hanley.

But to say we are a "poor hitting team" is ludicrous.

Well, we're certainly not the second best offense in the league, and we're not as good as the numbers indicate. That's all.

We feature two dead-weight spots in CF and C and we have a feast or famine microcosm of the offense in Dan Uggla.

Do we have the best hitting infield in the national league (catcher excluded) arguably, but Hermida's going to have to turn into the player we all expect him to be and we're going to have to do something for centerfield for me to believe this is a good/great offense.

what's our record since Hanley moved to the #3 hole

He's freefalling hitting 3rd. I don't think he's freefalling because of the move.. just mentioning it.

I think the Marlins will be 10-5 since the move

The Reggie at lead-off experiment needs to end ASAP, he needs to bat 8th

Hate all you want, but he got on base twice tonight

*raises hand*

We run it up on poor pitching.

Doesn't every good team though?

Absolutely.

(Welcome back, BTW)

But, I did a really half assed statistical survey of our team a while ago when some were ready to crown us with the Mets and found that while we averaged the same number of runs, we equaled or surpassed our average number in less than half our games while the Mets equaled or surpassed their average runs scored in more than half their games.

So, my reasonable conclusion was that our mean was not truly representative of our offensive ability.

(Off the top of my head, I think the average was 5.5 runs, we scored less than 5 17 times, more than 5 8 times and more that 11 twice or three times, but under 3 4 or 5 times).

With the frequency really all over the place, I had no qualms calling it an inconsistent offense that feasts on bad pitching. Yes good teams run it up on bad pitching, but good teams also beat good pitching.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't beaten any of the big NL arms this year.

Plus, there's also the matter of holding the modern baseball record for most times being no hit into the 5th inning in the team's first 30 games.

The first time was because Lilly did a bad job on defense and didn't run to the bag.

The second time, he was likely hit on purpose because the Marlins were running up the score.

He has a .286 OBP in the lead off spot this year, including tonight's game.

The first time was because Lilly did a bad job on defense and didn't run to the bag.

The second time, he was likely hit on purpose because the Marlins were running up the score.

he still got on base twice

They weren't running up the score.

They were going station to station.

It's not like a 9 run lead means you plunk a guy. You plunk a guy if they're stretching doubles, stealing, scoring from second on a single or that nonsense.

Plus, he was hit with a curveball.

I have noticed that the Marlins are doing a much better job not striking out quite as often. 4 - 6 strike outs in a game is not too bad, and a vast improvement over the earlier season.

Yeah.. maybe if olivo would swing at strikes we wouldnt even be at 4-6 strikeouts/game.

I have noticed that the Marlins are doing a much better job not striking out quite as often. 4 - 6 strike outs in a game is not too bad, and a vast improvement over the earlier season.

They struck out 11, 10 and 13 times against the Cubs this series, and 10 in the final game against the Mets.

We are scoring runs yes but the offense still has too many holes. Abercronbie leading off probably has all 29 other managers in the majors laughing their asses off. I understand wanting to be creative and thinking outside the box but this is pure stupidity. Fredi is getting lucky, it really irkes me to see Kool-Aid/Pasta leading off while Shadez has lost his comfortzone batting 3rd. I would consider hitting Boone 3rd at this moment.

Guest Festa

I took the time ( :| ) to do the standard deviations for all 16 NL offenses. This is through yesterday.

--Team-- --Standard Deviation-- --Runs Per Game--
ATL			   2.94			   4.73
CHC			   2.89			   4.62
CIN			   3.01			   4.69			 
COL			   2.77			   4.19
FLA			   2.99			   4.92
HOU			   2.8				3.9
LAD			   2.83			   4.47
MIL			   2.77			   4.54
NYM			   2.85			   5.1
PHI			   2.78			   5.2
PIT			   3.14			   4.25
SD				2.6				4.14
SF				2.95			   4.38
STL			   2.98			   3.65
WSH			   2.4				3.67

One run is worth about .025.

Top 5

PIT

CIN

FLA

STL

SF

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.