Jeff Torborg on Sportscenter

Ramp

I think we underachieved, and also not only the injuries but the injuries took away all the confidence from the team. When Josh came back and started pitching instead of throwing, and Thug Life showed up, and Jack pulled the team together, it all came back. The team was confident again. Even when Mikey went down they still believed they would win everything. And, well, here we are.

I wasn't paying attention much obviously when torborg managed, but why were they struggling so much under him. Was it injuries or are the fish overacheiving under McKeon or what? I'm just curious what your opinions on that are.

injuries more than anything else i think. 'though most agree Torborg wasn't the guy to lead this team to the playoffs, he was a good guy.

Lost Mark Redman for a month, Beckett for a month, AJ Burnett for the season, didn't have Dontrelle Willis. He had a struggling Hollandsworth in left field instead of Miguel Cabrera too.

Torborg did well while here, but I think he has a different style of managing that McKeon. He also didnt have the personell that McKeon did - he had Burnett though for awhile - and I dont think we could have gotten back on track with Torborg. But at the time of the hiring of McKeon, I thought it was up to the players and not the manager. I think the psychological effect of getting Torborg fired hit home with this team too. They liked Torborg.

If Torborg was still here would have been battling the Mets for last place in the division. He and Arnie were too close to the players, there was no sense of urgency in the players, and worse no accountability. He was all too happy to make excuses for his players. Ultimately, it cost him his job, and as much as I like and admire the guy, he wasn't the right guy at the right time for this team.

If Torborg was still here would have been battling the Mets for last place in the division. He and Arnie were too close to the players, there was no sense of urgency in the players, and worse no accountability. He was all too happy to make excuses for his players. Ultimately, it cost him his job, and as much as I like and admire the guy, he wasn't the right guy at the right time for this team.

I agree. At the time, I was happy they made the switch. Nice guy or not is moot- it comes down to the bottom line, and it wasn't what it should have been at the time.