Is it too early to wave the white flag ?

marlinz_fan

Is it too early to start thinking of 2008 season ? Who can we count on being here next year ? Is there reason to hope next year can be better ? Since we haven't been healthy all year, and don't look like we will ever get healthy this year, should we still wait or should we say forget for 2007 and plan for 2008 with some deadline trades ? Any thoughts ?

Does anyone still think the Marlins if healthy could have made a run this year ? Should we still remain optimistic for the future ?

I'm just frustrated, so guys don't come down too hard on me.....yeah I seem with this post to be giving up, but I'm just so darn disappointed. Its not been the kind of year I expected at all.

Just because the Marlins are on a four game slide (granted 2 to the pirates) doesn't mean the season is over. It was only 3 weeks ago when they took 3 out of 4 from the Braves followed by a win against the Brewers that everyone here was ecstatic and optimistic about the season.

Didn't ESPN report that the Marlins are refusing to trade Willis and Cabrera this season?

They did ? I don't watch Baseball Tonight since half the time when I used to watch, they either said degrading things about the Marlins, or didn't show any of our highlights at all. John Kruk is espeially hateful towards the Marlins....I am only guessing that is because we have won the WS twice and his beloved Phillies haven't won since 1980.

Just because the Marlins are on a four game slide (granted 2 to the pirates) doesn't mean the season is over. It was only 3 weeks ago when they took 3 out of 4 from the Braves followed by a win against the Brewers that everyone here was ecstatic and optimistic about the season.

I don't feel good about the teams future because it seems that they really hate playing here. There is no other explaination. The players feel the lack of support, the lack of energy, and the lack of atmosphere at the games. The cheesy "cheerleaders" are a real joke to everyone that visits. In many ways you can't blame people for not going.....any change needs to come from above and we know that with cheapskate Loria that is never going to happen.

Unfortunately, I don't think this team has what it takes this season. However, I am not giving up on the season quite yet. We haven't gone on any real winning streak all season - once we have one of those then we'll see where we stand. A nice 9-10 game winning streak right about now would be nice. But we need some real starting pitching to go on one of those.

Also, I know some will disagree with me, but all those blown opportunities early in the season cost us some momentum. We really started off quite well and Julio managed to blow a few of those games. Starting the season 7-2 gives a team confidence they can build on the rest of the season - and it's much better than 5-4.

I think it went downhill after getting swept by the Nationals.

Our record since then is 18-21. Not very good, but hardly terrible.

I really think that early in the season Julio blew any kind of momentum we could have gotten. If we have a good closer at that time I think we start off on a good run and we're above .500 now.

I don't feel good about the teams future because it seems that they really hate playing here. There is no other explaination. The players feel the lack of support, the lack of energy, and the lack of atmosphere at the games. The cheesy "cheerleaders" are a real joke to everyone that visits. In many ways you can't blame people for not going.....any change needs to come from above and we know that with cheapskate Loria that is never going to happen.

Basically all you did was list the excuses why you don't go to games and transformed them into reasons the Marlins aren't playing well, lol. The Marlins aren't playing well because they don't prevent runs and are inconsistent on offense not cause of the Mermaids (who I happen to like), 10 dollar parking, or gameday ticket price hikes.

That is when I felt we started downhill too. The team just seems at times to be going through the motions. I don't see a fire in their eyes. Especially at home. That is just the most baffleing part of this team. The failure to win here is costing them any chance at doing something special.

Can someone put a finger on that ? Is Freddi somewhat to blame ? It doesn't seem like at times that he even cares....I know that's not true, or at least I hope its not the case, but don't you just once in a while see him lay into someone ? Shake the players up a bit ? The coddling he is doing doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

The cheesy "cheerleaders" are a real joke to everyone that visits.

Thats right, the Mermaids are to blame for poor attendance and the Marlins losing.

They add to the "cheesy" atmosphere dude. Tell me one other team that has "cheerleaders" at a baseball game ? Its just WRONG at a baseball game.

Basically all you did was list the excuses why you don't go to games and transformed them into reasons the Marlins aren't playing well, lol. The Marlins aren't playing well because they don't prevent runs and are inconsistent on offense not cause of the Mermaids (who I happen to like), 10 dollar parking, or gameday ticket price hikes.

I believe part of the Marlins home winning problems stem partly from the lack of a home atmosphere. How can you explain the way they play on the road as opposed at home ? You just see them have more desire on the road. You are fooling yourself if you think going to a game here gives you the same feeling that you feel at almost every other ballpark in baseball.

The cheesy "cheerleaders" are a real joke to everyone that visits.

Thats right, the Mermaids are to blame for poor attendance and the Marlins losing.

They add to the "cheesy" atmosphere dude. Tell me one other team that has "cheerleaders" at a baseball game ? Its just WRONG at a baseball game.

I vote to keep them

I believe part of the Marlins home winning problems stem partly from the lack of a home atmosphere. How can you explain the way they play on the road as opposed at home ? You just see them have more desire on the road. You are fooling yourself if you think going to a game here gives you the same feeling that you feel at almost every other ballpark in baseball.

Maybe nobody else has cheerleaders, but there's ridiculous things at every ballpark that annoy those of us who came to watch baseball. At U.S. Cellular the centerfield wall opens up in between innings and two big Chevy trucks drive out onto the warning track while people run around with t-shirt cannons shooting Chevy sponsored shirts into the crowd. Say it all together - L A M E !!! And it costs $20 to park here. (Glad I live in walking distance!) I'd rather have some cheerleaders, personally.

The point is - a team's success is not determined by this crap. You should know that better than anyone. The Marlins have won two World Series playing in Miami. No offense to Miami, but you know what I mean. (I hope.)

The Marlins really need to spend money. With the way they bring up talent, they don't even need to spend like the big dogs. I would think that somewhere in the $60-$70 million ballpark should get them in the playoffs on a regualr basis... considering how decent they've been while spending nothing. (That's not a huge payroll these days.) Keep Miggy and don't be afraid to buy some pitchers. Sign a couple of old dudes to 1 year contracts. Anything.

*The last paragraph is pure speculation and I have ran no realistic scenerios to back it up. In other words, I'm talking out of my ass. I'm just sayin...

Maybe nobody else has cheerleaders, but there's ridiculous things at every ballpark that annoy those of us who came to watch baseball. At U.S. Cellular the centerfield wall opens up in between innings and two big Chevy trucks drive out onto the warning track while people run around with t-shirt cannons shooting Chevy sponsored shirts into the crowd. Say it all together - L A M E !!! And it costs $20 to park here. (Glad I live in walking distance!) I'd rather have some cheerleaders, personally.

The point is - a team's success is not determined by this crap. You should know that better than anyone. The Marlins have won two World Series playing in Miami. No offense to Miami, but you know what I mean. (I hope.)

The Marlins really need to spend money. With the way they bring up talent, they don't even need to spend like the big dogs. I would think that somewhere in the $60-$70 million ballpark should get them in the playoffs on a regualr basis... considering how decent they've been while spending nothing. (That's not a huge payroll these days.) Keep Miggy and don't be afraid to buy some pitchers. Sign a couple of old dudes to 1 year contracts. Anything.

*The last paragraph is pure speculation and I have ran no realistic scenerios to back it up. In other words, I'm talking out of my ass. I'm just sayin...

They need a new stadium to spend anywhere CLOSE to 60-70 mil. And I'm not sure that does enough. Truth is that nobody really cares about the Marlins.

That is when I felt we started downhill too. The team just seems at times to be going through the motions. I don't see a fire in their eyes. Especially at home. That is just the most baffleing part of this team. The failure to win here is costing them any chance at doing something special.

Can someone put a finger on that ? Is Freddi somewhat to blame ? It doesn't seem like at times that he even cares....I know that's not true, or at least I hope its not the case, but don't you just once in a while see him lay into someone ? Shake the players up a bit ? The coddling he is doing doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

How do you know he doesn't lay into someone? Just because he doesn't do it in front of the cameras doesn't mean he's not doing it. You don't know much... prolly talking out of your a*s.

How do you know he doesn't lay into someone? Just because he doesn't do it in front of the cameras doesn't mean he's not doing it. You don't know much... prolly talking out of your a*s.

Maybe I am, but at least I want to see some emotion coming from somewhere. This team is just as flat as its fan base. Let's face it, the atmosphere -- a lot of which is the responsibility of management/ownership -- is just a big effing ***YAWN*** . Last time I was there, they still weren't giving out scoresheets....which is just de riguer at every game I have been to whether it be pro or college.

Maybe its time we just ended this experiement with baseball in South Florida. I'll still be a fan of the franchise, but maybe they do need to move. Maybe in a different area the fans would be more enthused.