Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

#1 Draft Pick Race Division

Featured Replies

There's more than just one year of baseball.

 

And Alvarez is expect to take the Teixeira route...one year of minors than be ready. In other words, he'd be ready for 2009.

 

You know what else is in 2009? Cabrera's last year of arbitration. It's unlikely he'll be with us, probably will be traded in the offseason prior to the season.

 

Losing Cabrera would be a lot easier to take if we had a stud like Alvarez taking over for him at third.

 

If they trade Cabrera they could have Jesus Christ waiting to take over, I'm done with the franchise, and I think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

There's more than just one year of baseball.

 

And Alvarez is expect to take the Teixeira route...one year of minors than be ready. In other words, he'd be ready for 2009.

 

You know what else is in 2009? Cabrera's last year of arbitration. It's unlikely he'll be with us, probably will be traded in the offseason prior to the season.

 

Losing Cabrera would be a lot easier to take if we had a stud like Alvarez taking over for him at third.

 

If they trade Cabrera they could have Jesus Christ waiting to take over, I'm done with the franchise, and I think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

 

 

I've already braced myself for it because it is going to happen. The only way we don't trade him is if we are competing in his FA year and just let him walk at the and of the season.

I think so highly of Hanley and I've been so disappointed that Cabrera hasn't been able to get into playing shape all season (at least for his position, but I'm not trying to move this thread to the Cabrera to first thing), if he comes into camp next spring after the ton of money he'll get in arbitration or through a contract still looking like the Pillsbury doughboy, if the deal were right, I would at least listen with an open mind. Cabrera, SFX and the Marlins I hope get on the same page regarding Cabrera's off-season conditioning regimen and the team's expectations for one of the game's best talents. I say this as as big a fan of the guy as there is.

 

I can't speak for him, I wouldn't dare to, but I have to wonder if he feels any embarrassment about how he let his weight dictate his play this season. In my mind, a fit Miguel Cabrera could be next guy to have a legitimate shot at the .400 BA mark and only God knows how many homeruns he's capable of, so good are his skills. Watching him trudge down to first base this season has been painful to watch.

Why the heck is everyone wanting us to LOSE? I realize we could get a #1 draft pick, but as fans, aren't we supposed to want the team to WIN?

 

 

In 1998 we were the worst team in all of baseball, and we were rewarded with the #2 pick(back then it was alternating). Do you think it would have been better if we finished as the 4th,5th or 6th worse team in baseball? Maybe. We would have won a few more games. Hooray. But lets look what happened.

 

The 1999 draft had two studs, everyone knew it (The 2008 draft as of right now has 2 studs in Alvarez and Matusz) So in 1999 with the 2nd pick we knew we were either getting Josh Hamilton or Josh Beckett. It was all up to the Devil Rays.

 

We get Josh Beckett and 4 years later he is winning the deciding game of the World Series against the New York Yankees with a dominating performance.

 

So yea, sure we "should be" rooting for the Marlins to win games, but I want the Marlins to win World Series and contend. If we finish as the 4th,5th or 6th worse team we end up with either Eric Munson, Corey Myers, B.J. Garbe or Josh Girdley who went 345 and 6, respectively. My question is the same...WHO?????

 

Basically the point is - if aren't the worst team in baseball in 1999, we don't win the World Series in 2003. Simple as that. So Please, I am sick and tired of people hoping for a few more meaningless wins when it could be the difference between a World Series and mediocrity in the future.

1999 Good Draft to talk about...How about these names?

1st round

Barry Zito (9th pick overall)

Ben Sheets (10th)

Brett Myers (12th)

Alexis Rios (19th)

Brian Roberts (50th)

 

Carl Crawford (2nd Round)

Brandon Phillips (2nd)

John Lackey (2nd)

Justin Morneau (3rd)

Hank Blalock (3rd)

JJ Putz (6th)

Shane Victorino (6th)

Aaron Harang (6th)

Coco Crisp (7th)

Albert Pujols (13th)

 

As we all know Tampa Bay never got anything out of their #1 overall Draft pick and the Cardinals are fairly happy with their 13th round pick

There's more than just one year of baseball.

 

And Alvarez is expect to take the Teixeira route...one year of minors than be ready. In other words, he'd be ready for 2009.

 

You know what else is in 2009? Cabrera's last year of arbitration. It's unlikely he'll be with us, probably will be traded in the offseason prior to the season.

 

Losing Cabrera would be a lot easier to take if we had a stud like Alvarez taking over for him at third.

 

If they trade Cabrera they could have Jesus Christ waiting to take over, I'm done with the franchise, and I think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

 

 

I've already braced myself for it because it is going to happen. The only way we don't trade him is if we are competing in his FA year and just let him walk at the and of the season.

Same

There's more than just one year of baseball.

 

And Alvarez is expect to take the Teixeira route...one year of minors than be ready. In other words, he'd be ready for 2009.

 

You know what else is in 2009? Cabrera's last year of arbitration. It's unlikely he'll be with us, probably will be traded in the offseason prior to the season.

 

Losing Cabrera would be a lot easier to take if we had a stud like Alvarez taking over for him at third.

 

If they trade Cabrera they could have Jesus Christ waiting to take over, I'm done with the franchise, and I think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

 

 

I've already braced myself for it because it is going to happen. The only way we don't trade him is if we are competing in his FA year and just let him walk at the and of the season.

Same

 

 

x3

 

It will be a huge blow to the franchise, but unless he's willing to take a major loss in money with a lot of it deffered to stay here (which I doubt), then it's not going to happen.

 

Plus, I don't care how good the player is, if he's making ~20m a year, and we bump our payroll to a reasonable ammount (50-60m), that's 33-40% of our payroll in one player. This isn't basketball where one player can carry you, baseball is a lot more balanced. I don't want to be in a situation like the Rockies are with Helton, where they are basically f***ed for the future because they might not even be able to pay their current guys arbitration thanks to Helton's contract.

There's more than just one year of baseball.

 

And Alvarez is expect to take the Teixeira route...one year of minors than be ready. In other words, he'd be ready for 2009.

 

You know what else is in 2009? Cabrera's last year of arbitration. It's unlikely he'll be with us, probably will be traded in the offseason prior to the season.

 

Losing Cabrera would be a lot easier to take if we had a stud like Alvarez taking over for him at third.

 

If they trade Cabrera they could have Jesus Christ waiting to take over, I'm done with the franchise, and I think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

 

I guess maybe it wont be so bad if they do trade him.

Tampa, Pittsburg, Chicago, are facing non-contenders for the final 3 in Toronto, St. Louis and Detroit. However Verlander will pitch one of those games against Chicago.

 

Florida is facing the Mets, Baltimore is facing the Yanks, Royals are facing the Indians

 

That says to me that Florida, KC & Baltimore have the best chance of losing their last 3 games.

 

Chicago and KC have 2 games left against each other before the final 3, so at least one of them if not both will be eliminated from the #1 pick by winning one or two of those games.

 

This will be SOOOOOOO exciting!!!! Come on, i have to root for something.

Devil Rays clinched it.

 

We've dropped a lot.

 

Unless we get real lucky, we won't even be in the top 3.

 

And if we get real unlucky we could drop as far as 10th :|

 

Devil Rays -- (65-95)

Pirates 3.0 (68-92)

Royals 3.0 (68-92)

Orioles 4.0 (69-91)

Marlins 5.0 (70-90)

Giants 5.0 (70-90)

ChiSox 6.0 (71-89)

Astros 6.0 (71-89)

Reds 6.0 (71-89)

Nationals 7.0 (72-89)

Plus, I don't care how good the player is, if he's making ~20m a year, and we bump our payroll to a reasonable ammount (50-60m), that's 33-40% of our payroll in one player. This isn't basketball where one player can carry you, baseball is a lot more balanced. I don't want to be in a situation like the Rockies are with Helton, where they are basically f***ed for the future because they might not even be able to pay their current guys arbitration thanks to Helton's contract.

BUMP

 

I'd rather acquire an .800 OPSing 3B (Blake, Wigginton, Lamb, etc), wait a year or two for Dominguez (or Coghlan), and get 3-4 grade A+ prospects than have the Helton scenario. We'll still have plenty of offensive potential (assuming league average CF and C production) to support our pitching staff.

Reported during the Devil Rays game that James Shields is going to be shut down the rest of the year......ugh.

 

Anyone know how tie-breakers are calculated?

 

 

Don't quote me on this, but I think they calculate it by your record the previous year. So if we tie with the Drays they would get the #1 pick since they had a worse record than us last year.

 

 

So I am 90% sure this is right now, as I read it on a another message board. Sucks because if that is true we are now mathematically eliminated from getting a top 3 pick.

  • Author

Reported during the Devil Rays game that James Shields is going to be shut down the rest of the year......ugh.

 

Anyone know how tie-breakers are calculated?

 

 

Don't quote me on this, but I think they calculate it by your record the previous year. So if we tie with the Drays they would get the #1 pick since they had a worse record than us last year.

 

 

So I am 90% sure this is right now, as I read it on a another message board. Sucks because if that is true we are now mathematically eliminated from getting a top 3 pick.

You do know this is a no win situation. Its either giving up the draft pick or watch the Mets play in October.

Reported during the Devil Rays game that James Shields is going to be shut down the rest of the year......ugh.

 

Anyone know how tie-breakers are calculated?

 

 

Don't quote me on this, but I think they calculate it by your record the previous year. So if we tie with the Drays they would get the #1 pick since they had a worse record than us last year.

 

 

So I am 90% sure this is right now, as I read it on a another message board. Sucks because if that is true we are now mathematically eliminated from getting a top 3 pick.

You do know this is a no win situation. Its either giving up the draft pick or watch the Mets play in October.

Not if the Phillies win out.

Final "top" 10 standings

 

Devil Rays (66-96)

Pirates (68-94)

Royals (69-93)

Orioles (69-93)

Giants (71-91)

Marlins (71-91)

Reds (72-90)

ChiSox (72-90)

Nationals (73-89)

Astros (73-89)

 

(order based off of that the previous year record is tie breaker)

 

So 6th pick for us

These are the 6th picks overall in the MLB Draft since 1997

Geoff Goetz

Ryan Mills

Josh Girdley

Rocco Baldelli

Josh Karp

Zack Greinke

Ryan Harvey

Jeremy Sowers

Ricky Romero

Andrew Miller

Ross Detwiler

These are the 6th picks overall in the MLB Draft since 1997

Geoff Goetz

Ryan Mills

Josh Girdley

Rocco Baldelli

Josh Karp

Zack Greinke

Ryan Harvey

Jeremy Sowers

Ricky Romero

Andrew Miller

Ross Detwiler

 

Only heard of 4 of them

Why?

 

They're stocked with pitching.

 

Pedro Alvarez could probably play First, so by the time he's ready, they can pawn off Carlos Pena right before he hits free agency. The only other firstbase "real" prospect they have in their system is Joel Guzman, and he's been struggling the past couple years.

If they're drafting for a 1st baseman, Smoak makes more sense than Alvarez as he'd be wasted at first.

 

Me, I think the Rays take Aaron Crow and continue to load up on pitching. Their offense isn't the problem there. Alvarez won't make it past Baltimore, though. Oh well.

Well, he could have an off year, draft is still awhile away. Just look at LaPorta. From first round talent on year to drafted in the 6th round the next to drafted in the top 10.

Well, he could have an off year, draft is still awhile away. Just look at LaPorta. From first round talent on year to drafted in the 6th round the next to drafted in the top 10.

 

By that standard, Alvarez has further to fall. Alvarez isn't a senior and has Boras. Sounds a lot like LaPorta.

  • 4 months later...

Well, he could have an off year, draft is still awhile away. Just look at LaPorta. From first round talent on year to drafted in the 6th round the next to drafted in the top 10.

 

By that standard, Alvarez has further to fall. Alvarez isn't a senior and has Boras. Sounds a lot like LaPorta.

 

Alvarez has suffered a broken bone in his hand and is out six weeks.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Vanderbilt All-American third baseman Pedro Alvarez will be sidelined at least six weeks with a broken bone in his hand.

 

Alvarez injured the hand in his first at-bat of the season against Oregon State and was held out of games against Arizona State and Miami (Ohio).

 

The junior is a two-time All-American and began the season as a candidate for National Player of the Year. He has also been one of the leading hitters on the USA Baseball National Team over the past two summers.

 

Alvarez entered the season with a career .359 batting average, 40 home runs and 132 RBI.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3266978

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.