Gonzo Coming

Gonzo packing his bags for Florida

PHOENIX -- Former Arizona Diamondback Luis Gonzales is making another move.

AP File Photo

This time, he's headed to Florida to play for the Marlins.

Gonzo, a fan favorite here in Phoenix, was traded to the L.A. Dodgers last year.

Thursday morning, reporters from "The Positive Side of Sports," announced that he's packing his bags again to sign as a free agent with the Marlins, to help building the young franchise.

Gonzo was born in Tampa, Fla., and raised in the Cuban-rich community.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories...a.776b8a82.html

Source: Gonzalez, Marlins agree to deal

by Ken Rosenthal

Free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez has reached a preliminary agreement on a one-year contract with the Marlins, according to a major-league source.

The deal is contingent on Gonzalez passing a physical.

Gonzalez, 40, is expected to fill a combination of roles, including left field and first base, and serve as a mentor for the Marlins' younger players.

Gonzalez spent last season with the Dodgers, batting .278 with 15 homers and 68 RBIs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7742502...s-agree-to-deal

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

notice there's 40 of them.

It kinda depends on how much they gave him for this 1-year contract.

If it's anything more than about 2.5 million, then it'll be a waste...because we could get equal production from a guy we already have; Cody Ross.

I guess this is a good signing in terms of a veteran presense for our young guns.

If he's looking for a place to retire with a lot of peace and quiet (no one goes to the games) and not a lot of pressure, then he made the right choice.

But the bad thing is...half the people in South Florida have probably never heard of him and probably won't give him a standing O during his last at-bat.

Remember last year when the Mets were in town and Conine had his last at-bat (presumably) in Miami, and the crowd didn't do anything. No standing O, no loud cheer, nothing.

But the bad thing is...half the people in South Florida have probably never heard of him and probably won't give him a standing O during his last at-bat.

Remember last year when the Mets were in town and Conine had his last at-bat (presumably) in Miami, and the crowd didn't do anything. No standing O, no loud cheer, nothing.

That would be the least of my concern over this signing. Moreover, what does he have left and can he throw the ball at all. Heck, maybe fans are tired of giving goodbye cheers to players who keep coming back-like Roger Clemens in 03 at the stadium. All the Marlins on the field clapping, honoring him in his last appearance EVER.

While I felt bad for Niner not making a playoff, since he said what a great way to end his career in the playoffs, it was SO satisfying watching the Mutts collapse and the Marlins doing it to them. Niner has his two rings with the Marlin logo, so he is not wanting.

Actually, most of the people giving Clemens the standing O in 2003 were Yankee fans...either bandwagoners or people who moved here from New York. I mean yeah, I'm sure there were probably a lot of Marlins fans who were cheering for him too, but I hear people say that Marlins fans were so greatful to Clemens in 03 during what was at-the-time his last appearance in MLB. I guess they don't know South Florida is the 6th borough of New York.

Actually, most of the people giving Clemens the standing O in 2003 were Yankee fans...either bandwagoners or people who moved here from New York. I mean yeah, I'm sure there were probably a lot of Marlins fans who were cheering for him too, but I hear people say that Marlins fans were so greatful to Clemens in 03 during what was at-the-time his last appearance in MLB. I guess they don't know South Florida is the 6th borough of New York.

just because miami is where new yorkers go to die doesnt mean it was mostly yankees fans cheering for him...it was a great baseball moment in which anyone would have wanted to partake in...and a little FYI...most baseball fans are bandwagoners...thats just the way sports goes...

from Rotoworld

reportedly 2 mill, could reach 3 with incentives.

The deal is said to include around $2 million in guaranteed money, plus incentives that could be worth an additional $1 million. While it was no secret that the Marlins were interested, it's truly bizarre that they wanted to go in this direction. They're already set at the outfield corners, and Gonzalez likes to whine when he's not getting enough playing time. If they were going to bring in a complement to Josh Willingham, they should have at least targeted a defensive upgrade. Gonzalez can help as a pinch-hitter, but there will be no reason to play him when everyone is healthy. A lesser name would have made a lot more sense.

hooray for mentors. :|

just because miami is where new yorkers go to die doesnt mean it was mostly yankees fans cheering for him...it was a great baseball moment in which anyone would have wanted to partake in...and a little FYI...most baseball fans are bandwagoners...thats just the way sports goes...

Have you even been to So. Fla? Because if you havn't lived here, then you'd have no idea. Theres probably more Yankee/Met fans down here than Marlins fans

I don't know. While I feel this move was highly unnecessary, Willingham and Jacobs have had nagging injuries. He probably wouldn't be a bad guy off the bench if Ross is playing CF until Maybin is ready.

Just trying to look on the bright side of things...

I think that will be his main roll as a 4th OF veteran presence. I thin it is a good move and will help the young kids.

I gotta think we're shopping Jacobs.

The Red Sox want a lefty to platoon at first, and he'd fall in love with pesky's pole.... There's no way Willingham is the one on the way out, and I think a Gonzalez/Ross platoon in left field could be pretty productive. And I could see Ross wrestling away the majority of the ab's from Gonzalez by June and having a real nice season.

And if you're worried about losing offense by shipping Jacobs and having Ross/Gonzo platoon, remember that we just picked up McPherson. If he's healthy, that's almost a guaranteed 25 HR's and 80 RBI at the least IMO.