February 7, 200818 yr TRADE WAS JUST MADE OFFICIAL! Shaq packs his bags, he's gone to Phoenix! PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns acquired Shaquille O'Neal in a stunning, blockbuster deal that sent four-time All-Star Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Miami Heat. The improbable pairing of the speedy Suns and the slow but once-mighty O'Neal became official when he cleared a physical exam Wednesday. O'Neal didn't talk to reporters, but he received a loud, long standing ovation when introduced on the big screen while watching the New Orleans-Phoenix game from a suite at US Airways Center on Wednesday night. First, he stood to acknowledge the cheers with both arms open. He sat down again, but as the cheers continued, he got up once more. He pointed to the NBA championship ring he was wearing, then gave a thumbs up. The crowd went wild. The trade, a dramatic move by first-year Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr, signals an unexpected change in philosophy for the Suns, adding a 7-foot-1, 325-pound center who has won four NBA championships but has been plagued by injuries in recent years and turns 36 next month. O'Neal was to be introduced at a news conference Thursday. He has averaged 25.6 points and 11.5 rebounds in his 16 seasons in the NBA. This season, plagued by injuries and going through a divorce, he's averaging 14.2 points. His 14-year streak as an All-Star choice came to an end this year. He missed much of the 2006-07 season with a knee injury and finished that season with career lows in games (40), scoring (17.3 points), rebounds (7.4), minutes (28.4) and free-throw percentage (.422). "It was a very, very hard decision for me. When Shaq came to the team four years ago, I always felt it was forever. We won a championship with him. We wish him nothing but the best," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "We have to move on with our team. We're rebuilding. This is not the most desirable place to be right now." He denied that there was any lingering rift with O'Neal. "I loved Shaq when I got him and I love him today," Riley said. "I've been coaching 25 years and there wasn't anything that went on between Shaq and I that caused this. We simply looked at the big picture, where we are today, and we need to build around Dwyane (Wade)." The Heat have lost 19 of their last 20 games and have the NBA's worst record at 9-37. Before the trade became official, O'Neal talked to Suns players including Nash and Stoudemire, The Arizona Republic reported. "I will not let you down," O'Neal reportedly told Nash on the phone. Phoenix gambled that Shaq will be healthy and more motivated when he moves to the desert. "I do believe we showed Shaq a tremendous amount of respect by sending him to a contender, probably the top contender in the Western Conference and he's going to flourish there, he will help them," Riley said. "He will give them a new life and a new hope and a different game and so I think from that standpoint, he's happy about that." For the three-plus seasons since Nash came to town, the speedy Suns have been darlings of NBA fans weary of the slow style that has prevailed for years. But the Suns have fallen short in the playoffs, never making it to the finals. The addition of O'Neal doesn't necessarily put the brakes on the running game, Kerr said. "We ran when Kurt Thomas was here. He got the rebound, and everybody else ran down the court," Kerr said. "We're still going to run, but we feel like we'll have a better halfcourt team." Marion, weary of being third fiddle to Nash and Stoudemire, asked to be traded before the season began. He didn't get his wish and, although he refused to talk publicly about it, remained unhappy with his role. Still, his talents fit well with the fast-paced style that coach Mike D'Antoni wanted, especially with his ability to finish on a fast break. He also was the team's best defender, guarding everyone from Tony Parker to Yao Ming. Marion, who has spent all of his 8? NBA season with Phoenix, made the All-Star team the last three seasons. This season, though, he failed to make it, while Nash and Stoudemire did. Marion has NBA career averages of 18.4 points and 10 rebounds. This season, he's averaging 15.8 points and 9.9 rebounds. In a statement, Kerr thanked Marion and Banks for their contribution to the franchise. "Shawn in particular has been a tremendous player for this organization the past eight-and-a-half years and his impact both on and off the court in Phoenix will not be forgotten," Kerr said. The Suns have the best record in the West (34-14) but have not played up to their own expectations. Their interior defense is among the NBA's worst. Kerr apparently felt that without a large presence inside, Phoenix could not combat the big men, such as Andrew Bynum and Tim Duncan, in the playoffs. With O'Neal on the court, an obviously happy Stoudemire can play his more natural power forward position. "There's not as much pressure now, as far as being that center position, that center stopper," Stoudemire said. "I've been playing out of position for four years now. Now I'm back at my natural position. Shaq is the best at his and I'm the best at mine, so it's going to be great opportunity for us." O'Neal's move west adds fuel to the already intense rivalry between the Suns, the Lakers and old teammate Kobe Bryant. "Maybe now I won't be the No. 1 enemy when we go there," the Suns' Raja Bell said. "That's OK with me." The trade required a significant financial commitment from budget-conscious owner Robert Sarver because O'Neal is scheduled to make $20 million this season and $20 million more each of the next two. Marion makes $16.4 million this year and could opt out of the $17 million final year of his contract after this season. Banks has been in and out of the Suns' rotation the past two seasons. To make room on the roster, the Heat waived guard Luke Jackson on Wednesday. Signed as a free agent in December, Jackson appeared in 14 games and averaged 5.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. O'Neal entered this season talking about how he wanted to win at least one more title, saying his "legacy" wouldn't be complete unless he left the game with at least five rings. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. SOURCE What do you guys think?
February 7, 200818 yr Ok, let's start discussing potential suitors now, how much cap relief did we get here?
February 7, 200818 yr I don't think Marion opts out now that he is part of a team where he will get more touches. That's probably a good thing since he might have been the best option in this summer's free agent market. Plus this also allows the Heat to be a big player in the summer 2009 free agent market if they don't extend Marion in the event that it doesn't work out. Riley pulled a great trade. He deserves a lot of credit.
February 10, 200818 yr I'm not sure whether the team will have room to sign two big names, one big name and a veteran, or just one big name. Among those who are gonna demand a lot are Marion, Baron Davis, Gilbert (if he opts out), and even someone like Corey Maggette in L.A. Personally, I think Baron should be the target for Riles. The only thing with him is sometimes he isn't "on" so to speak. But when he's on, he's one of the hardest guys in the game to guard. I'm not much of a Heat fan, but I'm impressed how Riley continues to do some pretty incredible things with the team and the roster. If I had to choose, I'd say go for Baron and Maggette. Doubt they could afford both, let alone who knows how it would affect D. Wade's offensive mind-set. And again, I may be thinking about this way too early as it's not even at the All-Star break yet.
February 10, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html
February 10, 200818 yr so what are some good nba draft prospects that we will be looking at with the #1 overall pick
February 11, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html Popovich crying because the Lakers got ALOT better without giving up too much!!
February 11, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html Popovich crying because the Lakers got ALOT better without giving up too much!! Time to update your sig?
February 11, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html Popovich crying because the Lakers got ALOT better without giving up too much!! well it is ridiculous...its like trading the best wide reciever in football for a 4th round pick
February 11, 200818 yr so what are some good nba draft prospects that we will be looking at with the #1 overall pick I'd say Beasley from KSU and Rose from Memphis. But at the same time, I think Rose fills a need more now that we have the Matrix.
February 11, 200818 yr id still like us to find a more capable big man...im not sure barron will be good enough to be a starter in this league
February 11, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html Popovich crying because the Lakers got ALOT better without giving up too much!! Time to update your sig? Time to update your avatar?
February 11, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html Popovich crying because the Lakers got ALOT better without giving up too much!! Time to update your sig? Time to update your avatar? I Have an avatar?
February 11, 200818 yr so what are some good nba draft prospects that we will be looking at with the #1 overall pick Michael Beasley is one, but he is known to have a major attitude.
February 12, 200818 yr Ah wasnt Shaq supposed to be in pain and out for 6-8 weeks.... Now a couple of days after being traded he's going full speed in practice and might be ready by the suns next game.... If he was faking the injury he's a P.O.S. in my book.....
February 12, 200818 yr Somebody who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to building great teams on the Gasol trade: "What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/bask...lies/index.html What a joke. Complaining about a trade because it strengthens a team youre competing with. I doubt he got too upset when the Lakers traded Shaq out of the West
February 12, 200818 yr I think he was faking his injury and don't like how he came back at Bill Walton. Shaq needs to show some class, even if he is better. The man is a Hall of Famer.
February 12, 200818 yr I think he was faking his injury and don't like how he came back at Bill Walton. Shaq needs to show some class, even if he is better. The man is a Hall of Famer. what exactly are you talking about, did walton interview him about the injury or something?
February 13, 200818 yr I think he was faking his injury and don't like how he came back at Bill Walton. Shaq needs to show some class, even if he is better. The man is a Hall of Famer. Fake his injury? Come on. You could say that you think it isn't as severe as we first thought, but to say he faked it? If he was truly injured on the NBA's worst team, and is then traded to a championship contender, I don't see anything wrong with him trying to make a push to come back by merely practicing with his new team. As for his shot at Walton...more power to him. Walton is a POS that has been bad mouthing him (atleast) since Shaq came to Miami. The guy didn't have anything to say when the Heat won the title, and as soon as they started their slip last season he started flapping that horse mouth of his again. I don't blame Shaq. He's human. He's been known to be a little sensitive, so he wasn't going to keep quiet, and I'm glad he didn't.
February 13, 200818 yr Author BREAKING NEWS: Jason Kidd Close to Landing with Mavericks By Marc Stein ESPN.com Jason Kidd has quietly -- and not so quietly -- hoped for a trade to the Dallas Mavericks all season. Those hopes are about to realized, according to NBA front-office sources. Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks and Nets on Wednesday reached an agreement in principle on a Kidd deal after talks had seemingly stalled last week, moving the teams to brink of completing the NBA's third blockbuster deal of the month. Although sources say that the teams are still sorting out final details, this deal was described as "imminent" by multiple sources close to the process after negotiations moved to an advanced stage Tuesday night. The deal -- salvaged from talks on a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- has Dallas sending 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSagana Diop and swingman Devean George and guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and forward Malik Allen. Sources say Dallas will also add the league-maximum $3 million in cash and send its first-round draft pick this June as well as a first-rounder in 2010. The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days, and ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that the Nets and the Mavs are likewise poised to complete a separate trade that will send swingman Antoine Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick. Dallas has been widely considered the most likely winner of the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters Sunday before New Jersey beat Dallas that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster. "For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening. Yet sources close to the process insist that the talks have heated up in the past 24 hours, with the Mavs still tantalized by the prospect of bringing Kidd back more than a decade after the pre-Cuban regime drafted him out of Cal, watched him share rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994-95 and then traded him to Phoenix on the day after Christmas in 1996. The Mavs' biggest reservation, though, isn't sacrificing Harris. Sources maintain that Dallas, while reluctant to part with one of Cuban's favorite players and its point guard of the future after signing Harris to a contract extension over the summer, has been resigned for some time to losing Harris if it meant getting Kidd back. The greater hesitation, sources said, is that they would also have to part with Stackhouse and Diop, weakening Dallas' depth. Even if the Nets do waive Stackhouse as expected and Dallas is able to re-sign him after a 30-day wait, losing Diop is a significant blow, as that leaves the inconsistent Erick Dampier as the Mavericks' only veteran center at a time when potential playoff foes like the Los Angeles Lakers (Pau Gasol) and Phoenix Suns (Shaquille O'Neal) are getting bigger. But Dallas appears more motivated than ever in spite of those concerns and the current lack of a third team to join in and broaden the trade, believing that Kidd -- although he turns 35 in March and is threatening to establish a new career low with his 36.7 percent shooting from the field -- is still a prime source of leadership and mental toughness. Kidd displayed those qualities in abundance during a strong summer with Team USA and those areas are well-chronicled weak spots for the Mavs, who followed up a historic collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals with a first-round flameout against Golden State after winning 67 games last season. A point guard of Kidd's caliber, influence and experience would undoubtedly please the demanding Avery Johnson, reinvigorate a team that has been lacking energy and confidence and supply Dallas' coach with a dangerous four-man core of Kidd, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki is the player Kidd has had in mind when privately telling associates in recent months that he hoped to go back to Dallas. Although his desire to leave New Jersey had been suspected all season, Kidd didn't go public with that wish until late January, when he told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it's time for him and New Jersey "all to move on" in separate directions. Kidd was acquired by the Nets in the 2001 offseason in a trade with Phoenix featuring Stephon Marbury and sparked New Jersey to the most successful period in the team's NBA history, starting with back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. After giving strong consideration to signing with San Antonio in the summer of 2003, Kidd elected to stay with the Nets. During the past four-plus seasons, however, New Jersey has not advanced past the second round of the playoffs, despite the 2004 arrival of Vince Carter and Kidd's successful recovery from microfracture knee surgery. The Nets were prepared to deal Kidd to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season but pulled out of the deal when the Lakers refused to part with center Andrew Bynum, who has since blossomed. This deal would give them a highly rated point guard who's 10 years younger than Kidd and three cap-friendly contracts if the Mavericks indeed include Ager. The Nets could come away with even more salary-cap relief if the Mavericks built their trade package around Harris and a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn. Although he has been out of the game since the end of the 2005-06 season, Van Horn hasn't filed official retirement papers with the league, allowing Dallas to retain his rights. And because Van Horn's final NBA salary was nearly $16 million, Dallas can re-sign him for a substantial amount and thus create a lucrative expiring contract for the Nets, because only the first year of a contract must be guaranteed in a sign-and-trade arrangement. Cuban, though, told ESPN.com last week that "we won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone." That's because Kidd would cost the Mavericks nearly $40 million next season, thanks to the luxury tax, if they sent only Harris, Van Horn and salary-cap filler to the Nets. Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.
February 13, 200818 yr My initial reaction is that this seems like a lot to give up for a 34 year old point guard.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.