Hanley having a down year?

well we know that his home runs totals are great but i mean he does have only 33 rbi and just 19 stolen bases while batting a little under .300. strikeout totals are up as well...sad to say but jose reyes (who i cant stand) is slowly creeping up on hanley in the rbi department and is already ahead of him in stolen bases and avg.

anyone else agree?

Starting an all star game does not mean you are having a great year...

Having said that....

Hanley isn't having a BAD year. He's having a very good year. He's on pace to break his personal home run record, for one thing. And he's starting to get on base again, lately.

But I suspected by now he would've adapted more to the role of a number three or four hitter, but it seems like he's still better suited for lead off. I do hope within the next few years he becomes the RBI machine he is projected to be, because we're going to need the production. Of course, someone is going to have to get on base ahead of him when that happens.

First and foremost, RBI is a context stat, meaning they are dependant on who bats in front of you and how many at-bats you have. It is probably the worst stat to look at when analyzing a hitter. I think Jonah Keri of Baseball Prospectus says it best. "Albert Pujols is not a great hitter because he gets a lot of RBI. Rather, he gets a lot of RBI because he is a great hitter who gets a lot of RBI opportunities."

The steals are fine. It's not how many you steal, it's the success rate at which you steal them. He currently is 1st in the N.L. in SB % (79.2%), which is a tad more than Reyes (78.8%).

The average is fine. .295? What's wrong with .295? It's 4th best among MLB shortstops.

The K's shouldn't be a concern. Studies have shown that,For the most part ,they are no different than any other out (on average). If he weren't getting on base or if he wasn't being a beast, then the k's would be a concern.

I dunno what the point of this thread is. Hanley is not having a down year in any way, shape , or form. He currently leads all major league shortstops in OPS by 33 points (907) and is the Major League VORP leader among shortstops at 38.2 (5th out of all Major league batters)

Well, I can explain the stolen base thing easily.

It's not like he's stealing and getting caught, he is just being told not to steal. Fredi said at the beginning of the year that he didn't want him stealing alot.

x2...

And, anyone who was at the town hall meeting at fanfest would have heard it first hand.

Yep. Too hard on the body. Dosen't want to take the risk of getting him injured. etc etc etc

First and foremost, RBI is a context stat, meaning they are dependant on who bats in front of you and how many at-bats you have. It is probably the worst stat to look at when analyzing a hitter. I think Jonah Keri of Baseball Prospectus says it best. "Albert Pujols is not a great hitter because he gets a lot of RBI. Rather, he gets a lot of RBI because he is a great hitter who gets a lot of RBI opportunities."

The reason Hanley only has 33 RBI is because has has been horrible driving runners in in his RISP opportunities.

One way I like to look at RISP productivity is to look at the ratio of RBIs to outs made in the RISP PAs.

Hanley's ratio is .35 which is horrible compared to the league average which is .51.

Pujols' career ratio is .86. That's pretty good and that's the primary reason he has so many RBIs every year.

.900+ OPS is not an 'off year'

He's also doing a LOT better defensively this year. He's still only middle of the pack, but that's still than last year when he was only better than lolJeter. Could easily make an arguement that this year he's > last year even though his OPS is lower.

I also do like that his walks are way up, but that's also been an issue regarding the staring at the outside third strike I think, so it'd probably be better for him to be more aggressive.