June 29, 200818 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb Richie Sexson, Mariners Why he's available: Addition by subtraction fits in well here as the once-productive slugger has worn out is welcome in Seattle, making it (past) time to move on, even if it means paying most of his remaining salary in this the final year of a four-year contract. Will he go? It is hard to fathom that Sexson would be in Seattle when the Mariners' season ends at the end of September. Where might he go? The Marlins are getting solid hitting from left-handed hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs, but he struggles against lefties, and Sexson just might be what the NL East team needs. Yes or no?
June 29, 200818 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb Richie Sexson, Mariners Why he's available: Addition by subtraction fits in well here as the once-productive slugger has worn out is welcome in Seattle, making it (past) time to move on, even if it means paying most of his remaining salary in this the final year of a four-year contract. Will he go? It is hard to fathom that Sexson would be in Seattle when the Mariners' season ends at the end of September. Where might he go? The Marlins are getting solid hitting from left-handed hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs, but he struggles against lefties, and Sexson just might be what the NL East team needs. Yes or no? I don't mind it under the following conditions: A) He's cheap (duh), preferably a pro-rated ML minimum B) Jacobs goes to Seattle (or anywhere) in his place C) He doesn't take at-bats away from McPherson if/when he comes up, at least until McDallas establishes himself
June 29, 200818 yr ...And Sexson can't righties :banghead ...less homeruns, lower batting average and a guy whose career is behind, not in front of him.
June 29, 200818 yr ...And Sexson can't righties :banghead ...less homeruns, lower batting average and a guy whose career is behind, not in front of him. That's why he could plausibly be a GREAT platoon partner for McDallas... he can't hit righties, which McPherson can, and well... and Sexon can take care of the LHP, if we get him for pennies for the rest of the season, why not... dude's .365/.433/.577 against LHP this year and .265/.369/.507 in his career... seems like he's perfect to split time with Dallas And against the LHP, you have Cantu play 3B, since that's going to be the minority of the time anyways, and Sexson's increased "wingspan" can help Cantu a bit too
June 29, 200818 yr dude's .365/.433/.577 against LHP this year and .265/.369/.507 in his career... seems like he's perfect to split time with Dallas Sexson doesn't hit anyone this year. He's no better than Jacobs. What :blink:
June 29, 200818 yr Sexson doesn't hit anyone this year. He's no better than Jacobs. I don't want Sexson, but he is hitting .365 against lefties, with a 1.010 .OPS this year...for those wondering. I'd still say no.
June 29, 200818 yr So long as Fredi avoids the temptation to play him EVERY day, and just plays him against LHP, it'd be a good move for us
June 29, 200818 yr Do we need another part time player? You have to send someone down then. Only if you can figure out how to squeeze thirty guys onto a 25 man roster.
June 29, 200818 yr Do we need another part time player? You have to send someone down then. Well, in my "perfect world" scenario... Jacobs is gone, and Andino goes down... They are replaced by Dallas and Richie (in this hypothetical) they play as per the idea I noted up there... Dallas gives you some positional flexibility (1B/3B and maybe some LF in a pinch)... Richie becomes a PH on his off days, no different than the current Jake situation IMO 1B Sexson/Cantu 2B Uggla 3B McPherson/Cantu SS Hanley C Treanor LF Hammer RF Hermida CF Cody/Amezaga Gonzo Amezaga Helms Hoover Gonzo is the primary PH vs RHP and Helms and Sexson against RHP Works for me, though I always prefer to carry 13 pitchers and this is only 12, but yeah
June 29, 200818 yr So you wind up with three part-time players all to accommodate a guy who can't hit his weight. If you bring up McPherson he's going to play everyday and if at third you can't take Cantu out of the lineup to make time for Sexson who isn't going to be enough of an improvement (if at all) at first to offset what you lose by having him in the lineup. You do realize had zero homeruns in June and four since April 30th. He intimidates no one anymore. And if you think The Mariners are going to eat what's left of his $15 million contract for 2008 think again. They are playing out the string this season, they might as well let him play out the season and be gone because no one is going to offer any meaningful talent for the guy if they have to eat even half his salary. You want to give up a Coglan or Sanchez or Stanton AND $3-4 million just for the pleasure of having him underperform here rather than in Seattle? I think not. You have an opinion, I respect that. I'm not going to debate this anymore because I'm not going to change your mind and you're set on this. Let's just say I'm highly doubtful you'll see Richie Sexson in a Marlins uniform this or any other season barring something catastrophic happening.
June 29, 200818 yr I really don't want him, Jacobs is still a young hitter who has the potential to be a solid hitter. Jacobs has had a better year than Sexson, and I'd take Jake over Sexson.
June 29, 200818 yr So you wind up with three part-time players all to accommodate a guy who can't hit his weight. If you bring up McPherson he's going to play everyday and if at third you can't take Cantu out of the lineup to make time for Sexson who isn't going to be enough of an improvement (if at all) at first to offset what you lose by having him in the lineup. You do realize had zero homeruns in June and four since April 30th. He intimidates no one anymore. And if you think The Mariners are going to eat what's left of his $15 million contract for 2008 think again. They are playing out the string this season, they might as well let him play out the season and be gone because no one is going to offer any meaningful talent for the guy if they have to eat even half his salary. You want to give up a Coglan or Sanchez or Stanton AND $3-4 million just for the pleasure of having him underperform here rather than in Seattle? I think not. You have an opinion, I respect that. I'm not going to debate this anymore because I'm not going to change your mind and you're set on this. Let's just say I'm highly doubtful you'll see Richie Sexson in a Marlins uniform this or any other season barring something catastrophic happening. Well, I'm just playing the "Why this WOULD work" argument, vs those that believe it couldn't work... First things first, the only "part-time" player would be McPherson, as Cantu would still play every day, and Sexson/McPherson split the time... And no, I see no reason why your argument as to why he would stay is wrong, but at the same time, I don't think Mariners fans would feel jaded to just have Sexson out of their lineup, even if they're paying for someone else to take him. As for Sexson coming here, you're probably right in that he's probably not, and will probably stay in Seattle for the rest of the year. Like I said, I'm just showing that this could very well work out if it happened under the right conditions... e.g. on the cheap and not losing any real prospects
June 30, 200818 yr Well, I'm just playing the "Why this WOULD work" argument, vs those that believe it couldn't work... first I want to say I understand this and why you're saying what you're saying (and I agree with what you're saying) but we could just do the same exact thing with wes helms. Helms isn't hitting them well this year, but for their career there's only a 50 point difference (.876 v.s. .826 ), which is still a lot but Wes can also play third, and would save a bench spot for something else (like you, I'd rather have 13 pitchers).
June 30, 200818 yr Well, I'm just playing the "Why this WOULD work" argument, vs those that believe it couldn't work... first I want to say I understand this and why you're saying what you're saying (and I agree with what you're saying) but we could just do the same exact thing with wes helms. Helms isn't hitting them well this year, but for their career there's only a 50 point difference (.876 v.s. .826 ), which is still a lot but Wes can also play third, and would save a bench spot for something else (like you, I'd rather have 13 pitchers). Haha, ok then :lol The bolded is my reason for NOT wanting this to happen, but yeah, I'd be ok with this happening for my reasoning above though
June 30, 200818 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb Richie Sexson, Mariners Why he's available: Addition by subtraction fits in well here as the once-productive slugger has worn out is welcome in Seattle, making it (past) time to move on, even if it means paying most of his remaining salary in this the final year of a four-year contract. Will he go? It is hard to fathom that Sexson would be in Seattle when the Mariners' season ends at the end of September. Where might he go? The Marlins are getting solid hitting from left-handed hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs, but he struggles against lefties, and Sexson just might be what the NL East team needs. Yes or no? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
June 30, 200818 yr LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! People on this board are ripping Jacobs for struggling and not being patient and then want Sexon?? That guy is f***ing terrible! I rather have Big Jake with 2 broken Legs
June 30, 200818 yr ... is highly overpaid garbage. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! People on this board are ripping Jacobs for struggling and not being patient and then want Sexon?? That guy is f***ing terrible! I rather have Big Jake with 2 broken Legs :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
June 30, 200818 yr I would rather have him than Jacobs. If Fredi can resist the urge to play him every day and only play him against LHP, giving McPherson the starts against righties, it'd be a good move. At this point I'd take anyone over Jacobs. But i also don't think that we should give up any good players to get him. The only deal I see working that they Mariners might go for b/c Jacobs is young, is a direct trade with Sexson coming here and Jacobs going to Seattle. I think that even know Sexson probably wouldn't be here too long and isn't a great player anymore, that Seattle would regret taking Jacobs in the long run. He was over-rated to begin with, has too many strikeouts, and too many errors to not be a liability both at the plate and at first base. At best, Jake will be a good pinch-hitter down the line who can give you a home run here and there. Helms needs to be starting right now, not him.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.