Joe Nelson

Erick

He had a very good year (probably our most reliable reliever...when he started the inning, himself)...but he's, rather, old...and the Marlins have many young arms that could compete for a spot in the bullpen, next year.

Also...the Marlins seem to do this every year.

They get a no-name reliever or a reliever trying to resurrect his career, and it happens. Like, "one year wonders."

There's at least one of these guys every year, on the team.

My question is...

A) Do you think the Marlins sign him back? (He should be pretty cheap)

B) Do you think this year was a "fluke" for him?

Not only is he cheap, I don't see the prospect for regression that we saw in Gardner/Miller last year. I think his change is a plus pitch and he has a nice fastball to complement it. I think it's almost a given he will return next year.

In terms of the pen next year I think two guys will have guaranteed spots: Lindstrom and Nelson. Add a FA reliever (hopefully Rhodes). I think the remaining 4 spots go to the best of a bunch of talented arms.

edit: I forgot Pinto. He's pretty much a lock too.

I really hope the front office invests in Rhodes for atleast a few more years. Given the amount of lefty power bats in our division having Rhodes is a must to compete with the Mets and Phillies. Especially in late, tight games that seemed to get away from us this year.

To answer the original question, yes, I think Nelson will be back.He should be cheap and fairly reliable next year IMO.

The Marlins have had some luck patching together bullpens from retreads and minor leaguers but you don't want to have to scrape it together every year. Sometimes its better to pay a little more for a known commodity. I'd say keep Nelson and see if they can work out a deal with Rhodes rather than expecting Lee Gardner to bounce back or expecting to find another Todd Jones/ Brian Moehler out there. Lets not forget the Jorge Julio horror show.

A) Do you think the Marlins sign him back? (He should be pretty cheap)

B) Do you think this year was a "fluke" for him?

He will make about $800k. He is absolutely worth that.

that and as far as it being a fluke...is his era a fluke? yeah, looking at his WHIP. is his whip flukey? yeah, looking at his BABIP. but he's an average reliever. He'll likely put up a ~1.30 WHIP, upper 3 ERA. and that's still valuable. But it's also relievers we're talking about so yeah haha

A couple of bad outings kind of made Nelson's #'s look worse than they actually are. For the first half of the season, him, Doug Weachter, and Reynel Pinto were our most reliable bullpen guys, and together we had one of the top bullpens at that time. I believe Nelson is well worth the money, and if Weachter, Nelson and Pinto can get back to their first half form along with Lindstrom developing nicely as a closer, we do not have many weaknesses on this team (besides defense of course)