Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Featured Replies

It's a little early, but I am setting up the thread now for tonight's VP debate.

 

2008 Vice Presidential Debate

 

Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK)

 

vs.

 

Senator Joe Biden (D-DE)

I have to watch this for my business law class and come up with 3 stances for each candidate that will effect business.

 

Can anyone tell me what I should be listening for?

Mrs. "Why publications do I get my international news from? All of them." vs. Mr. "President Roosevelt appeared on television in 1929".

 

Either way, America loses.

I have to watch this for my business law class and come up with 3 stances for each candidate that will effect business.

 

Can anyone tell me what I should be listening for?

 

Corporate Taxes, Private Taxes, Regulatory Approach

I have to watch this for my business law class and come up with 3 stances for each candidate that will effect business.

 

Can anyone tell me what I should be listening for?

 

Corporate Taxes, Private Taxes, Regulatory Approach

 

Thanks! :thumbup

I have to watch this for my business law class and come up with 3 stances for each candidate that will effect business.

 

Can anyone tell me what I should be listening for?

 

Corporate Taxes, Private Taxes, Regulatory Approach

Those are good.

Add in oil policy, alternative energy policy, stance on bailout.

Assuming that anything of substance will be said by either side.

Biden I expect to be short of words, but you'll get some substance.

From Palin, who knows what you'll get.

.

.

In Marlins terms, it's like watching a game where Armando Benitez comes in.

IMO, both candidates did what they needed to do. Biden was pretty good, and Palin has a political future at the national level

  • Author

I have added a poll as to who won.

 

I was impressed with Biden's performance, as he didn't seem to make many mistakes.

 

Palin was certainly far better than those awful interviews with Gibson and Couric, but she still came off frequently like she was just reciting talking points.

 

Anyone notice that, especially early on, she kept changing the subject back to energy? It got a little old. That and her repeated uses of the word 'maverick' got really annoying.

I think they both did really good. I gave her the win, because she did a million times better than anyone expected. I also think she was a head in almost all topics except foreign policy. Biden smacked her around Foreign Policy, but other than that he was par and just about average on his stances. I can see why he never made it out of the early primaries.

 

No one denies Biden is smart and knows his material, but thats all he did was show that. He didn't show much else. Good debate though, I think it was better than the first presidential-they were even nice :D

I think both Palin and Biden did well much better than the guys at the top of ticket

 

Tend to agree.

 

 

 

No fireworks though, I was hoping for some quotable moments. :)

 

I have to admit, Biden's quote on the bridge to nowhere was brilliant

It really pisses me off to hear politician douchebags like Biden say "it will take ten years for us to receive any of that oil drilled offshore". Who cares??!? I bet Bill Clinton probably gave that same line when he was in office.

 

As far as who won the debate, I think Palin leaned much closer to the center than Biden; Biden is going to piss off the religious right by being so adamant about the rights of same sex couples benefits and needs to play politician better and talk about the 'constitution' of marriage like Palin did with a question like that. In a debate with no fireworks, little things like that make a difference.

I thought Biden was a lot better.

He actually had #'s (with %'s) to backup his statements of why he disagreed with McCain's ideas.

 

Palin, on the other hand, just talked about her life and how it will help her relate to the middle class, called McCain a "maverick" at least a dozen times, and was shut down several times (including the last time she called McCain a "maverick").

  • Author

It really pisses me off to hear politician douchebags like Biden say "it will take ten years for us to receive any of that oil drilled offshore". Who cares??!? I bet Bill Clinton probably gave that same line when he was in office.

 

As far as who won the debate, I think Palin leaned much closer to the center than Biden; Biden is going to piss off the religious right by being so adamant about the rights of same sex couples benefits and needs to play politician better and talk about the 'constitution' of marriage like Palin did with a question like that. In a debate with no fireworks, little things like that make a difference.

He was just stating the truth about the new oil drilling. Don't know what else to tell you about that one.

 

Palin and Biden had essentially the same position on gay rights. They both said that same-sex couples should legally have the same rights as straight couples. They also both said that they opposed gay marriage, with Biden saying more specifically that it was a religious issue.

People are ignoring the most important part of the debate...how hot did Palin look on that there stage? Grr baby, very grr.

It really pisses me off to hear politician douchebags like Biden say "it will take ten years for us to receive any of that oil drilled offshore". Who cares??!? I bet Bill Clinton probably gave that same line when he was in office.

 

As far as who won the debate, I think Palin leaned much closer to the center than Biden; Biden is going to piss off the religious right by being so adamant about the rights of same sex couples benefits and needs to play politician better and talk about the 'constitution' of marriage like Palin did with a question like that. In a debate with no fireworks, little things like that make a difference.

He was just stating the truth about the new oil drilling. Don't know what else to tell you about that one.

 

Palin and Biden had essentially the same position on gay rights. They both said that same-sex couples should legally have the same rights as straight couples. They also both said that they opposed gay marriage, with Biden saying more specifically that it was a religious issue.

 

Let's not reform the educaiton system because we won't reap the rewards for 10-15 years, when elemntary school kids join the workforce. The fact that we won;t reap benefits from drilling for ten years is not a reason to not do it.

 

Biden was conservative in this debate (and I dont mean politically). He held back, because he knew he was on thin ice in a debate against a woman. If he attacked too hard it would have seemed like this bitter old man bullying this poor girl. He stuck to the issues and seemed very knowledgeable, but didn't risk going for the long ball because it may have backfired. On the other hand, Palin seemed very likeable, she seemed like she knew what she was talking about, which was surprising.

 

I find debates boring generally but this was definitely better than last week's.

It was a tie, Palin looked fine and Biden avoided foot-in-mouth disease, but I think neither one took the opportunities provided to them. Biden's responses were dense and Palin wouldn't answer the question.

  • Author

I agree that Biden was playing it safe, attacking McCain instead of Palin directly. That was what a lot of media pundits said would be the best strategy. Otherwise he might have generated sympathy for her.

Palin didn't drool. So, she did fine.

 

She didn't drool and she did look kinda hot but she didn't do anything to convince me she's qualified to lead our country or even be 2nd in command. Her experience as a mom and a business owner doesn't exactly pad her resume too much in my opinion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.