Your top 10 prospects and grades

Nny

1) Cameron Maybin B+

I'm sure a lot of guys will give him A's, but there is one stat that really, really, really worries me: v.s. RHP: 33 walks, 96 strikeouts. I'm sure a lot of his supporters will bring up that, from June on, his strikeouts lowered and ergo his bb/k increased. But I'm unsure of what the double split it (v.s. RHP from June foward), and seeing that number is very concerning for me. But the 22% LD from June forward is also very promising.

2) Logan Morrison B+

Hits for big average, has very good bb/k, and a lot of those doubles are going to turn into HRs when he changes parks and gets older. And he's apparently athletic enough to play the OF. Wow. A 21.1% LD% is very very nice to see, but you'd also like to see him hit more FB and less GBs.

3) Mike Stanton B+

When he performs well in Jup, that's raising to an A, maybe even A+ depending on how he does, and he's going to #1. People like to bring up the strikeouts but he had a .057 BB/K from June first on. Not amazing, but that is still a very solid ratio. He cut he's K's down to 25%, still high but a lot more bearable than the well over 30% he was at, and raised his walk rate to 15%, very very very nice. And of course, you know, the whole 39 HRs from a 18 year old. And he's athletic enough to play CF as of now, although he very likely will lose that ability down the road.

4) Matt Dominguez B+

Gold glove 3rd baseman are always very nice. Gold glove 3rd baseman who display a lot of power = WOOO. Missing 50 games at the start of the season, he finished the year with 18 HRs. That means that, at that pace and expanding his games played to the full 138, he would have been on pace to hit 28 HRs and 25 doubles. A .203 ISO from an 18 year old is very very very nice, even if it is Boro. Want to see his plate discipline improve. Although not Stanton like, he still nearly K'd 20% of the time (19.7) and walked only 7.8% for a 0.41 BB/K. But at 18 years old, that's something I expect to develop. He'll probably get a B from most people, and I'm sure a lot are going to say how can you give Doming a B+ while keeping Stanton at that rating to, but oh well.

5) Chris Coghlan B

The grade is based more off position scarity than actual production and you could probably drop it to B-. Something I wonder is if the FO might get creative and, if another 3b is picked up in a trade, we try moving Do-Ming to second? Regardless, Coghlan should be a solid major league, and with his BB/K and LD% he's very safe pick for doing just that.

6) Sean West B-

Needs better control but loved his ability to avoid XBH this past season

7) Ryan Tucker B-

Now that he's reliever only, stock fell a lot for me

8) Gaby Sanchez B-

His RHP numbers still worry me, but with his speed and defense he should be a solid 1b. It's just that 1b is also the easiest position to fulfill....

9) Kyle Skipworth B-

Very unimpressive pro debut but still very projectable, and atleast got better in his second month (0.21 BB/K and .083 ISO in July, 0.44 BB/K and .169 ISO in August). Guys struggling in their pro debut is nothing new, let's see how he does next season. Could have gone as high as 7 for me.

I don't really have a 10, it's very interchangeable with a lot of C+ guys like Thompson, Hand, Raynor, Cousins, DLC, Galloway, and so forth

9 b's is a very very nice system, especially considering two of them could be A's

I'm really not that high on Galloway. The plate discipline he displayed...well, he didnt display any. He's all "tools" that scouts love. Sure, he'll likely become a productive player, especially considering his defense, but I'm really not that high on him.

1. Cameron Maybin A

Love the guy, always loved him even in Detroit, so excited to see him in Joe Robbie everyday roaming CF.

2. Logan Morrison B+

His numbers would have been very good in Carolina, in Jupiter they are outstanding. Still think he can compete for the 1b position in 09.

3. Mike Stanton B+

I hate seeing Jason Heyward get all the love, but the younger guy who hits 39 HRs in his first full season doesn't get as much respect. He will next year, the dude can flat out hit and he is a great athlete too. I'd like to see Heyward play CF like Stanton can and does.

4. Chris Coghlan B

Stanton is your prototypical high ceiling, high reward guy, Coghlan is your typical safe, you know what you are getting guy. He will get on base in the majors and be a threat to hit .300 in any given year, I'll take that from my second baseman. Think he will be fine defensively too.

5. Matt Dominguez B

Want to see him do in Jupiter next year. I like the numbers, they were solid for an 18 year old coming off an injury, but the road splits are just horrible. That concerns me enough to put him below Coghlan.

6. Sean West B

The highest ceiling pitcher we have in the organization, gotta love the height and be encouraged but the sporadic excellent game he would throw here and there after returning from TJ.

7. John Raynor B-

I know some people downgrade his stock, but I am giving him this high ranking based on him being a CF, which every scouting report I've read said he has the potential to be a very good one. We just happen to have the best CF prospect in baseball blocking him...therefore I think we demote him based on his poor numbers for a corner guy. I'd be very content though if we didn't have Maybin and had to have him starting in CF.

8. Kyle Skipworth B-

Gotta love the scouting reports on his bat coming out of HS. If he sticks at catcher he shoots up this list.

9. Gaby Sanchez B-

Age factor players in here, also don't like that their have been weight issues in the past. nice to see him evidently improve his defense though.

10. Scott Cousins B-

A lot of us sleep on him, but he could be another guy that surprises us out of spring training in 09. Athletic player with tons of power, plagued with small injuries but still up solid numbers.

1) Cameron Maybin B+

I'm sure a lot of guys will give him A's, but there is one stat that really, really, really worries me: v.s. RHP: 33 walks, 96 strikeouts. I'm sure a lot of his supporters will bring up that, from June on, his strikeouts lowered and ergo his bb/k increased. But I'm unsure of what the double split it (v.s. RHP from June foward), and seeing that number is very concerning for me. But the 22% LD from June forward is also very promising.

2) Logan Morrison B+

Hits for big average, has very good bb/k, and a lot of those doubles are going to turn into HRs when he changes parks and gets older. And he's apparently athletic enough to play the OF. Wow. A 21.1% LD% is very very nice to see, but you'd also like to see him hit more FB and less GBs.

3) Mike Stanton B+

When he performs well in Jup, that's raising to an A, maybe even A+ depending on how he does, and he's going to #1. People like to bring up the strikeouts but he had a .057 BB/K from June first on. Not amazing, but that is still a very solid ratio. He cut he's K's down to 25%, still high but a lot more bearable than the well over 30% he was at, and raised his walk rate to 15%, very very very nice. And of course, you know, the whole 39 HRs from a 18 year old. And he's athletic enough to play CF as of now, although he very likely will lose that ability down the road.

4) Matt Dominguez B+

Gold glove 3rd baseman are always very nice. Gold glove 3rd baseman who display a lot of power = WOOO. Missing 50 games at the start of the season, he finished the year with 18 HRs. That means that, at that pace and expanding his games played to the full 138, he would have been on pace to hit 28 HRs and 25 doubles. A .203 ISO from an 18 year old is very very very nice, even if it is Boro. Want to see his plate discipline improve. Although not Stanton like, he still nearly K'd 20% of the time (19.7) and walked only 7.8% for a 0.41 BB/K. But at 18 years old, that's something I expect to develop. He'll probably get a B from most people, and I'm sure a lot are going to say how can you give Doming a B+ while keeping Stanton at that rating to, but oh well.

5) Chris Coghlan B

The grade is based more off position scarity than actual production and you could probably drop it to B-. Something I wonder is if the FO might get creative and, if another 3b is picked up in a trade, we try moving Do-Ming to second? Regardless, Coghlan should be a solid major league, and with his BB/K and LD% he's very safe pick for doing just that.

6) Sean West B-

Needs better control but loved his ability to avoid XBH this past season

7) Ryan Tucker B-

Now that he's reliever only, stock fell a lot for me

8) Gaby Sanchez B-

His RHP numbers still worry me, but with his speed and defense he should be a solid 1b. It's just that 1b is also the easiest position to fulfill....

9) Kyle Skipworth B-

Very unimpressive pro debut but still very projectable, and atleast got better in his second month (0.21 BB/K and .083 ISO in July, 0.44 BB/K and .169 ISO in August). Guys struggling in their pro debut is nothing new, let's see how he does next season. Could have gone as high as 7 for me.

I don't really have a 10, it's very interchangeable with a lot of C+ guys like Thompson, Hand, Raynor, Cousins, DLC, Galloway, and so forth

9 b's is a very very nice system, especially considering two of them could be A's

I won't disagree with you except you are too harsh in your rating of Raynor and Logan. Morrison is an A prospect if there ever is one in the organization. His negatives are totally negligible I can understand wanting to see how he handles Double A piching first but he passed the Jupiter test with flying colors. He may very well be in the Majors after the all star break. Jacksonville will be a piece of cake after getting the batting title at Jupiter. At the very least he deserves an A- rating. Raynor is an incredible prospect who will hit for average steal 40 bases a year (If Fredi allows it) and can eventually hit 20 homers a season. I understand about the high strikeouts but should reduce those numbers significantly with experience. He is B+ prospect for sure

There is nothing "incredible" about John Raynor's prospect status.

wait 3 years and you tell me

Can we nominate Rambo McDonald the least funniest clown of the forum?

Rambo McDonald the difference between an intelligent post and what you do is that the intelligent one goes along the line There is nothing incredible about John Raynor because... and conversation and discussions ensues. You have nothing to add therefore you have nothing to say

There is nothing incredible about John Raynor's prospect status because he is soon to be 25 years old. He is just a gap to gap hitter and he is never going to hit for power. 20 hr? More like 10 if he's lucky. He strikes out way too much. This is not something that will get significantly better by age. It could easily get a whole lot worse once he reaches the major leagues. He doesn't have a great arm in the outfield, thus his move to the corner outfield spots (yes, he moved because of Cameron Maybin, but he also moved because of Greg Burns). Because he now is at a corner outfield spot, his numbers will be well below average for that position (in the major leagues).

Granted, he possesses unbelievable speed but if you can't get on base it doesn't matter. Like the saying goes, "you can't steal first base".

I'm not convince at all that he can be anything more than a fourth outfielder and even that may be pushing it. He's a decent prospect. Michael Stanton would be deemed an "incredible" prospect, not John Raynor.

There is nothing incredible about John Raynor's prospect status because he is soon to be 25 years old. He is just a gap to gap hitter and he is never going to hit for power. 20 hr? More like 10 if he's lucky. He strikes out way too much. This is not something that will get significantly better by age. It could easily get a whole lot worse once he reaches the major leagues. He doesn't have a great arm in the outfield, thus his move to the corner outfield spots (yes, he moved because of Cameron Maybin, but he also moved because of Greg Burns). Because he now is at a corner outfield spot, his numbers will be well below average for that position (in the major leagues).

Granted, he possesses unbelievable speed but if you can't get on base it doesn't matter. Like the saying goes, "you can't steal first base".

I'm not convince at all that he can be anything more than a fourth outfielder and even that may be pushing it. He's a decent prospect. Michael Stanton would be deemed an "incredible" prospect, not John Raynor.

This is all correct.

If the scouting reports are true regarding Raynor's ability to play CF, what's to stop me from making a Curtis Granderson comparison? Look at the numbers for each as a 24 year old in the minors. Yes Raynor was in AA and Granderson in AAA, that is a huge difference, but Curtis had been in the pros a year longer. Raynor has also been much better at stealing bases.

Yea with the Marlins he is a 4th OFer, but I still think he has some high value as a CFer somewhere. I just hope some other team values him as highly and if need be, we can trade him for a piece we can use better.

John Raynor is pretty much like Carl Crawford except for the fact Crawford started pro ball at 17 (he was called up to the majors when he was 20). Crawford does strikeout a bit less and that is Raynor area of opportunity but Raynor has better power numbers so far everywhere he has played. I am pretty sure just about everyone in this forum believes Crawford could play in LF for the Marlins right now and is a bit more than a 4th outfielder. If Raynor has the same tools but with more power why would he not also be able to play LF for the Marlins?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/carl-crawford.shtml

John Raynor is pretty much like Carl Crawford except for the fact Crawford started pro ball at 17 (he was called up to the majors when he was 20). Crawford does strikeout a bit less and that is Raynor area of opportunity but Raynor has better power numbers so far everywhere he has played. I am pretty sure just about everyone in this forum believes Crawford could play in LF for the Marlins right now and is a bit more than a 4th outfielder. If Raynor has the same tools but with more power why would he not also be able to play LF for the Marlins?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/carl-crawford.shtml

This is a horrible comparison. Raynor is a college player, Crawford was in the bigs by 21. Crawford is all contact driven. Raynor will take a walk. Raynor strikes out a lot, a lot, more, and this is going to overexpose him on level jumps versus Crawford who always hits the ball where this won't be as big of a problem. Just because they steal doesn't make them the same type of player. He is not one of our top 10 prospects, and really doesn't project to be a starter.

Lou you know that many are saying that Raynor lacks power which i don't really see but comparing Grandison to Raynor is not a good fit. Just a year ago Grandison had 23 homers. I know you are focusing on the strikeouts which is your concern. His strikeouts will drop down greatly. Focus on his OBP which have been eye popping. I was saying Crawford who is a good glove with an average arm playing LF. Raynor can steal bases like Crawford and also hit for a high average. He also has less than ideal power for a corner Outfielder, although more pop than Crawford. I don't see Raynor striking out as much as Grandison in the Majors or as much as, lets face it, Maybin.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/c...randerson.shtml

Lou you know that many are saying that Raynor lacks power which i don't really see but comparing Grandison to Raynor is not a good fit. Just a year ago Grandison had 23 homers. I know you are focusing on the strikeouts which is your concern. His strikeouts will drop down greatly. Focus on his OBP which have been eye popping. I was saying Crawford who is a good glove with an average arm playing LF. Raynor can steal bases like Crawford and also hit for a high average. He also has less than ideal power for a corner Outfielder, although more pop than Crawford. I don't see Raynor striking out as much as Grandison in the Majors or as much as, lets face it, Maybin.

Just random speculation on your part?

Anyway Crawford strikes out much less, and walks much less. Also, I agree... After taking a closer look, Granderson is a bad comparison for Raynor

Is John Raynor running for president? This sounds like a campaign ad.

You posted opinions while Lou posted stats (as in age comparisons in levels + Raynor's increasing K totals year after year, in the minors).

Why would his K's drop down greatly...where the pitching (in the big leagues) is much better? I don't get the philosophy.

The problem is the body of work, comparing a major league ballplayer to someone who has yet to see a major league pitch is always gonna be speculation to a point. I respect Lou's opinion and Eric's as well. We have all of us been wrong at times and right at times. I am thrilled with the prospects of Raynor because this team hasn't had anyone like him within the organization and if he can hit major league pitching as he has minor league pitching everyone will be talking about him for a long time. To summarize Raynor has speed and has been a solid hitter, that also is able to work the count and gets walked frequently. His ability to steal bases and go deep into the count would make a wonderful #2 hitter behind Maybin and in front of Hanley. Just thinking of a top of the order that could steal 120 bases leaves me with a huge grin. If some are not excited about Raynor's prospects that is fine with me but I dare to have my imagination venture

The problem is the body of work, comparing a major league ballplayer to someone who has yet to see a major league pitch is always gonna be speculation to a point. I respect Lou's opinion and Eric's as well. We have all of us been wrong at times and right at times. I am thrilled with the prospects of Raynor because this team hasn't had anyone like him within the organization and if he can hit major league pitching as he has minor league pitching everyone will be talking about him for a long time. To summarize Raynor has speed and has been a solid hitter, that also is able to work the count and gets walked frequently. His ability to steal bases and go deep into the count would make a wonderful #2 hitter behind Maybin and in front of Hanley. Just thinking of a top of the order that could steal 120 bases leaves me with a huge grin. If some are not excited about Raynor's prospects that is fine with me but I dare to have my imagination venture

Who gives a crap about SB. I mean, seriously. This is a modest production bump unless they go 40/2 over the season or something outrageous.

I really don't think you understand what Raynor is. Yea, he may be the perpetual overachiever who masks his skill set at the bigs, but he's got a lot of catching up to do. I see the walks. I see the gap power. I see all of it. Don't get me wrong, I like Raynor to be a MLB player, but if we're talking starter that is crazy. He's not the natural like Crawford or Granderson or Maybin who are going to come up and hit. His BABIP this year in the minors was .401. This is seriously inflating the average by a lot of points. When this averages out, coupled with less contact against better pitchers at higher levels, with less slugging for the same reason as he is not a power hitter, the bottom is literally going to drop out of him. I'm hopeful he can be a .260/.325/.400+ kind of guy, with the excellent speed, and can cover all three outfield spots defensively. That's an awesome 4th/5th outfielder you've developed from a 9th round pick. But talking about projecting Raynor to anything more, to Victorino, to Rowand, or someone higher like Crawford or Granderson. Now, that is just crazy talk.

I chose not to include anyone that played in the Majors

1. Sean West A+

2. Logan Morrison A+

3. Graham Taylor A

4. Matt Dominguez A

5. Mike Stanton A

6. John Raynor B+

7. Chris Coghlan B+

8. Brett Sinkbeil B+

9. Issac Galloway B+

10. Aaron Thompson B

On the whole the minor league talent level looks a lot more promising this time last year.