Adam Kam

MVETOY

Anybody that gets caught cheating is a dummy pure and simple. I hate every player that used because it's like using an aluminum bat. That's part of the reason I like the MLB channel so I can watch some regular sized ball players from the past who played the game fair.

Like guys like Hank Aaron and those of his era who used greenies?

Or guys like Gaylord Perry who doctored the ball?

Are those the "fair" players you miss?

Anybody that gets caught cheating is a dummy pure and simple. I hate every player that used because it's like using an aluminum bat. That's part of the reason I like the MLB channel so I can watch some regular sized ball players from the past who played the game fair.

We only hate some PEDs, not all of them, obviously.

Also, Gaylord Perry is by far the biggest cheater in the history of the sport and the media treats him like everyone's tricky uncle. "Oh that Uncle Perry, with his sill spitballs. He's so adorable, let's put him in the HOF".

There's a joke about John Kruk in here somewhere....

Also, Gaylord Perry is by far the biggest cheater in the history of the sport and the media treats him like everyone's tricky uncle. "Oh that Uncle Perry, with his sill spitballs. He's so adorable, let's put him in the HOF".

Although you guys have a point, those weren't performance enhancing drugs. Perry cheated ( just to unfairly single one guy out) but it was also something that he could get caught on immediatly. It's not like something he could deny doing. If that makes any sense to you all.

So where do you guys want to draw the line? Obviously doing speed to be up for a game is out. Extreme prejudice? Excessive drinking/partying? Adultry? Murder? (know the rumors before you slam that one.) I doubt there were more than a handful of players that didn't do something back in the day to get an edge. Or do things in their off time that today would be so media hyped as to block them from the HOF or expelled from baseball all together. Some even in jail.

To me it's more like making excuses for what today's players, and some of those players that have recently retired, have done and some still continue to do just because they are/were "heros" of their time. And truthfully put, there is no excuse. Do the crime, do the time.

Hmmm. I kinda liked Kruk in his playing days. But I do find it funny he would be singled out for a joke about this and not a guy like Mike Lowell.

Although you guys have a point, those weren't performance enhancing drugs. Perry cheated ( just to unfairly single one guy out) but it was also something that he could get caught on immediatly. It's not like something he could deny doing. If that makes any sense to you all.

So where do you guys want to draw the line? Obviously doing speed to be up for a game is out. Extreme prejudice? Excessive drinking/partying? Adultry? Murder? (know the rumors before you slam that one.) I doubt there were more than a handful of players that didn't do something back in the day to get an edge. Or do things in their off time that today would be so media hyped as to block them from the HOF or expelled from baseball all together. Some even in jail.

To me it's more like making excuses for what today's players, and some of those players that have recently retired, have done and some still continue to do just because they are/were "heros" of their time. And truthfully put, there is no excuse. Do the crime, do the time.

A few things:

1) You're mad if you think speed isn't a PED. (I hope I misunderstood that.) Not only do I believe so but so does the World Anti-Doping Agency.

2)I don't really understand the point of that second paragraph but the main thin here is that neither of us were trying to draw the line, we're talking about how arbitrary the line is.

3) I don't think it's unfair to single out the most prolific spitballer since the rule went into effect, who constantly flaunted the fact that he cheated and then got electing into the Hall of Fame. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Hmmm. I kinda liked Kruk in his playing days. But I do find it funny he would be singled out for a joke about this and not a guy like Mike Lowell.

Not sure what you mean about Lowell? He said he likes watching regular size players on the MLB channel; I figured there's some joke about ESPN, the rival network, and John Kruk, who is a fatty, but I'm not clever enough to come up with it....

He's referencing the fact that Kruk and Lowell have both had testicular cancer. That has nothing to do with penis size, so I don't see the point.

Anyway, Mike Lowell's 2005 season is the most perplexing phenomenon in Marlins history (for me). I desperately want to know if this was steroids induced. A lot of people have hypothesized that Lowell was juicing but I've never seen his name linked to anything.

He's referencing the fact that Kruk and Lowell have both had testicular cancer. That has nothing to do with penis size, so I don't see the point.

Anyway, Mike Lowell's 2005 season is the most perplexing phenomenon in Marlins history (for me). I desperately want to know if this was steroids induced. A lot of people have hypothesized that Lowell was juicing but I've never seen his name linked to anything.

I read Lowell's autobiography written after he was named 2007 WS MVP and he said he knew that steroids were around but he never felt the need to use them. Of course you can take this at face value since he wouldn't be the first to deny PED's use.

He did mention his unspectacular 2005 and he said that at some point he had inadvertently altered his swing and that it was completely ruining him. During the 2005 offseason he worked with an old coach friend of his watching video to correct the swing and hitting off a tee.

He did say more about the steroid use in baseball and more about his 2005 season including his subsequent trade but I read the book as soon as it came out and don't remember the specifics.

Interesting.

I suppose it is plausible that he wasn't using them. The theory was that he used them in 2003-2004 and stopped before 2005 when MLB started cracking down. However, I think his decline in performance has to be attributed to something else (like a mechanical issue that you describe).

My guess would be Josh Beckett and I would believe it.

I have suspicions about Penny, Alex Gonzalez, and Burnett in addition to the obvious one in Pudge Rodriguez.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.