Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about Jimenez's no hitter

Featured Replies

What I've noticed about no hitters thrown on the road is that the opposing teams fans will start cheering on the no hitter the deeper the ball game gets. I seriously don't get this. I mean I know I'm witnessing history and all, I get that. But what I really don't understand is how you could route against your team, especially considering the fact that being no hit is an embarrassment to your franchise. I noticed Braves fans cheering when Jimenez had 2 outs in the 9th. I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to do that.

This should be in the MLB section.

 

You have to cheer. The chances of seeing a no hitter are so rare, the people in attendance will probably never see another and if they do they may see 1 more in their lives. You cheer the accomplishment and, I guess, towards the end of the game (especially if it is out of reach), a selfish fan might root against their team to see the accomplishment. Bottom line: The fans that cheer the accomplishment are BASEBALL fans first, like I believe a lot of us on the boards are. You want whats best for the game and if it means your team loses 1 of its 162, you take that hit.

Completly agree with the replies so far... Btw.. I'm a season ticket, go to every home game, and would definitly cheer for other teams pitcher if he was going for a No Hitter. It's something special that needs to be recognized.

 

Would people cheer for a player on the visiting team go for the cycle? In that case I would not, would actually cheer if he was intensionally walked one hit shy of the cycle. Don't know why...

No way I'm cheering to see my team get no-hit...I'd hate to see that in person. Now after the game, I'll probably acknowledge the feat and give the opposing pitcher a hand...it is impressive and I would recognize what he did. But I wouldn't be cheering for it to happen.

I wouldn't cheer for my team to get no hit, but would applaud the guy afterwards, BTW congrats to Miguel Olivo for catching his second No-No in the Majors.

What I've noticed about no hitters thrown on the road is that the opposing teams fans will start cheering on the no hitter the deeper the ball game gets. I seriously don't get this. I mean I know I'm witnessing history and all, I get that. But what I really don't understand is how you could route against your team, especially considering the fact that being no hit is an embarrassment to your franchise. I noticed Braves fans cheering when Jimenez had 2 outs in the 9th. I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to do that.

 

 

i don't cheer for a no hitter if it's against my team. i want my team to break it up with hits and runs, not for them to lay down and lose. i wanted mac to get a hit (last batter) so we wouldn't get no hit. by the last inning, i conceded the game seeing that we would likely lose, but i just wanted a hit. although i would clap after the game is over, as a no hitter is impressive, but not until that final out is made and we lose (i know you can win in a no hitter like the bums did not too long ago).

 

this was pretty embarrassing, this is the second time braves fandom was cheering for the opposing team during a no hitter. case in point, six years ago today, randy johnson pitched his perfect game against a half strength braves team (at least three regulars were out), and they cheered for randy despite only being down 2 runs.

 

when can we actually pitch a no-no? (and knowing our team, we would lose 1-0).

What I've noticed about no hitters thrown on the road is that the opposing teams fans will start cheering on the no hitter the deeper the ball game gets. I seriously don't get this. I mean I know I'm witnessing history and all, I get that. But what I really don't understand is how you could route against your team, especially considering the fact that being no hit is an embarrassment to your franchise. I noticed Braves fans cheering when Jimenez had 2 outs in the 9th. I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to do that.

 

 

Didn't the Marlins go through this last year? I don't quite remember but I think some1 had us in the 8th with a no-no, and Hanley broke it off with a homerun. All I remember is feeling so relieved after that lol.

I was there at Turner Field on Saturday night, and I can assure you that the fans were not "cheering" for Jimenez! I was sitting out in RF and my son and I were the only two that were standing up, only because it was the first no-hitter I ever attended.

 

If anything, there was respectful clapping for the achievement, but not active cheering. As a matter of fact, when Dexter Fowler made the incredible catch in RF in the seventh inning, some Braves fans were up and clapping at what was an AMAZING catch (it looked SO MUCH better in person than on TV - it was coming right at us and I was convinced it was a hit). It was then that those fans earned my respect as true baseball fans. Something that is in a shortage in these parts.

  • Author

I was there at Turner Field on Saturday night, and I can assure you that the fans were not "cheering" for Jimenez! I was sitting out in RF and my son and I were the only two that were standing up, only because it was the first no-hitter I ever attended.

 

If anything, there was respectful clapping for the achievement, but not active cheering. As a matter of fact, when Dexter Fowler made the incredible catch in RF in the seventh inning, some Braves fans were up and clapping at what was an AMAZING catch (it looked SO MUCH better in person than on TV - it was coming right at us and I was convinced it was a hit). It was then that those fans earned my respect as true baseball fans. Something that is in a shortage in these parts.

 

 

I completely respect the sport. I honor all achievements, but to actually stand up and clap for an opposing team about to no hit you is pretty asinine. I'll sit down, recognize the achievement, and get the hell out of there. There are 3 types of fans, fans of the game, fans of their team, or both. I'm both, but the Marlins are still my number 1 priority. Also, being no hit puts you in the history books in a category you don't want to be in. Always root for your team first!

Braves fan is like that. They also cheered pretty hard for Randy Johnson's perfect game.

 

 

A perfect game is a different matter, I'd applaud that whoever it was. Jiminez actually walked 4 hitters in 5 innings, which suggests his stuff wasn't even all that good despite the fact nobody got a hit off him.

Fun fact...all of the Marlins no hitters have come against an NL West team.

 

 

LOL I'm such a dummy for not putting that together! I know what pitchers threw the no-no's and what teams the Fish faced and I still didn't put it together that they are all in the West!

A perfect game is a different matter, I'd applaud that whoever it was. Jiminez actually walked 4 hitters in 5 innings, which suggests his stuff wasn't even all that good despite the fact nobody got a hit off him.

 

 

I beg to differ with you. He was still hitting 97mph on the gun in the ninth inning after 120+ pitches! Actually, after issuing his walks, Rockies pitching coach Bob Apodaca suggested that Jimenez throw from the stretch for the whole game. After that he only issued one walk.

Fun fact...all of the Marlins no hitters have come against an NL West team.

 

 

LOL I'm such a dummy for not putting that together! I know what pitchers threw the no-no's and what teams the Fish faced and I still didn't put it together that they are all in the West!

If Alex Fernandez hadn't blown his in the 9th against the Cubs that wouldn't be true.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.