Marlins Starting Pitching

dim

Just by ERA alone

Josh Johnson- 2.68 ERA

Ricky Nolasco- 3.59 ERA

Chris Volstad- 4.29 ERA

Anibal Sanchez- 3.35 ERA

Nate Robertson- 4.35 ERA

Obviously it's early in the season, and ERA alone doesn't judge a pitcher, but those numbers are lookin' mighty perty. I say if we can maintain somewhat of this the entire season, this team will be poised for a wild card spot.

Just by ERA alone

Josh Johnson- 2.68 ERA

Ricky Nolasco- 3.59 ERA

Chris Volstad- 4.29 ERA

Anibal Sanchez- 3.35 ERA

Nate Robertson- 4.35 ERA

Obviously it's early in the season, and ERA alone doesn't judge a pitcher, but those numbers are lookin' mighty perty. I say if we can maintain somewhat of this the entire season, this team will be poised for a wild card spot.

If our starting rotation were to end the season with those ERAs and they stay healthy (make 30-33 starts each)... I am pretty comfortable saying we will probably make the playoffs.

What about the ERA just in May? It feels like this has been a really good month for the starters.

Including Ani's beautiful 7 inning, 4 hit, no run effort tonight:

Josh Johnson - 2.08 ERA, 0.750 WHIP

Ricky Nolasco - 2.84, 1.000 WHIP

Chris Volstad - 3.00, 1.111 WHIP

Anibal Sanchez - 2.24, 0.788 WHIP

Nate Robertson - 3.18, 1.471 WHIP

What about the ERA just in May? It feels like this has been a really good month for the starters.

That brings me smiles.

If our starting rotation were to end the season with those ERAs and they stay healthy (make 30-33 starts each)... I am pretty comfortable saying we will probably make the playoffs.

I agree. I'm pretty confident in our lineup so I feel that if we pitch like that we're definitely making the playoffs.

I love it, it has been a great May so far and a good season for the starting pitching. I really hope they can keep it up. Our defense is still pretty bad and needs to improve, but the starting pitching has been a big upgrade over last season... hopefully that will be enough to push past 87 wins from last year to 90-92 or so to make the playoffs. I think it will.

I would say we have the 2nd best rotation in the NL after San Francisco but I believe so far this month the Marlins starter have been better. I hate to admit our bullpen is coming together as well Meyer should give it a boost and I am hoping they call up Buente who I believe will be special

Why would you hate to admit that?

I wanted to find out how our rotation has compared to the rest of the NL this month and couldn't find the stats for that anywhere so I calculated each team's starters' ERA for May. Here's what I got.

1. SD - 2.36

2. FLA - 2.63

3. STL - 2.94

4. PHI - 3.00

5. CIN - 3.21

6. ATL - 3.54

7. SF - 3.58

8. COL - 3.67

9. LAD - 3.77

10. ARI - 4.22

11. PIT - 4.49

12. MIL - 4.59

13. CHC - 4.67

14. HOU - 4.79

15. NYM - 6.06 :mischief

League Average: 3.83

So JJ/Nolasco/Volstad/Sanchez/Robertson is outpitching Carpenter/Wainwright/Penny/Garcia/Lohse and Halladay/Moyer/Hamels/Kendrick/Blanton. Finally, the production we all knew we could get out of this core of SPs. The only team ahead of us, San Diego, is overachieving quite a bit with Jon Garland, a career 4.36 ERA, holding down a 2.38 and Wade LeBlanc, a career 3.86 and a guy who had a total of 13 career starts coming in to this year holding down a 1.54 so take that for what it's worth.

Because I wanted to find out how our rotation has compared to the rest of the NL this month and couldn't find the stats for that anywhere, I calculated each team's starters' ERA for May. Here's what I got.

1. SD - 2.36

2. FLA - 2.63

3. STL - 2.94

4. PHI - 3.00

5. CIN - 3.21

6. ATL - 3.54

7. SF - 3.58

8. COL - 3.67

9. LAD - 3.77

10. ARI - 4.22

11. PIT - 4.49

12. MIL - 4.59

13. CHC - 4.67

14. HOU - 4.79

15. NYM - 6.06 :mischief

So JJ/Nolasco/Volstad/Sanchez/Robertson is outpitching Carpenter/Wainwright/Penny/Garcia/Lohse and Halladay/Moyer/Hamels/Kendrick/Blanton. Finally, the production we all knew we could get out of this core of SPs.

Oh, those silly Mets.:lol

Regarding 2010, it's still early in the season. We're 10th in OPS and 6th in runs per game but by the end of the year the runs per game and OPS will be within one or two of each other. That never misses. So we need to hit better or we're screwed.

If hitting better is going to be our biggest problem, I can live with that, because I don't expect Coghlan to be a 51 OPS+ all year, among others with room to be better.