May 20, 201016 yr Just by ERA alone Josh Johnson- 2.68 ERA Ricky Nolasco- 3.59 ERA Chris Volstad- 4.29 ERA Anibal Sanchez- 3.35 ERA Nate Robertson- 4.35 ERA Obviously it's early in the season, and ERA alone doesn't judge a pitcher, but those numbers are lookin' mighty perty. I say if we can maintain somewhat of this the entire season, this team will be poised for a wild card spot.
May 20, 201016 yr What about the ERA just in May? It feels like this has been a really good month for the starters.
May 20, 201016 yr Good observation on the starting 5 ERA's, fingers crossed we make the playoffs, GO FISH!
May 20, 201016 yr Just by ERA alone Josh Johnson- 2.68 ERA Ricky Nolasco- 3.59 ERA Chris Volstad- 4.29 ERA Anibal Sanchez- 3.35 ERA Nate Robertson- 4.35 ERA Obviously it's early in the season, and ERA alone doesn't judge a pitcher, but those numbers are lookin' mighty perty. I say if we can maintain somewhat of this the entire season, this team will be poised for a wild card spot. If our starting rotation were to end the season with those ERAs and they stay healthy (make 30-33 starts each)... I am pretty comfortable saying we will probably make the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr What about the ERA just in May? It feels like this has been a really good month for the starters. Including Ani's beautiful 7 inning, 4 hit, no run effort tonight: Josh Johnson - 2.08 ERA, 0.750 WHIP Ricky Nolasco - 2.84, 1.000 WHIP Chris Volstad - 3.00, 1.111 WHIP Anibal Sanchez - 2.24, 0.788 WHIP Nate Robertson - 3.18, 1.471 WHIP
May 20, 201016 yr What about the ERA just in May? It feels like this has been a really good month for the starters. Including Ani's beautiful 7 inning, 4 hit, no run effort tonight: Josh Johnson - 2.08 ERA, 0.750 WHIP Ricky Nolasco - 2.84, 1.000 WHIP Chris Volstad - 3.00, 1.111 WHIP Anibal Sanchez - 2.24, 0.788 WHIP Nate Robertson - 3.18, 1.471 WHIP That brings me smiles.
May 20, 201016 yr If our starting rotation were to end the season with those ERAs and they stay healthy (make 30-33 starts each)... I am pretty comfortable saying we will probably make the playoffs. I agree. I'm pretty confident in our lineup so I feel that if we pitch like that we're definitely making the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr Not including tonight, the Marlins' team ERA for starters is 5th best in the NL (3.69), which is right behind the Phillies. In relief, the Marlins are only 11th.
May 20, 201016 yr Not including tonight, the Marlins' team ERA for starters is 5th best in the NL (3.69), which is right behind the Phillies. In relief, the Marlins are only 11th. A good chunk of that is due to our buddy Veras, who will no longer plague this team and it's stats.
May 20, 201016 yr Since Hanleys game of lazy kickball the starters have thrown 17 straight innings without giving up a run.
May 20, 201016 yr Including Ani's beautiful 7 inning, 4 hit, no run effort tonight: Josh Johnson - 2.08 ERA, 0.750 WHIP Ricky Nolasco - 2.84, 1.000 WHIP Chris Volstad - 3.00, 1.111 WHIP Anibal Sanchez - 2.24, 0.788 WHIP Nate Robertson - 3.18, 1.471 WHIP I love it, it has been a great May so far and a good season for the starting pitching. I really hope they can keep it up. Our defense is still pretty bad and needs to improve, but the starting pitching has been a big upgrade over last season... hopefully that will be enough to push past 87 wins from last year to 90-92 or so to make the playoffs. I think it will.
May 20, 201016 yr I would say we have the 2nd best rotation in the NL after San Francisco but I believe so far this month the Marlins starter have been better. I have to admit our bullpen is coming together as well Meyer should give it a boost and I am hoping they call up Buente who I believe will be special
May 20, 201016 yr I would say we have the 2nd best rotation in the NL after San Francisco but I believe so far this month the Marlins starter have been better. I hate to admit our bullpen is coming together as well Meyer should give it a boost and I am hoping they call up Buente who I believe will be special Why would you hate to admit that?
May 20, 201016 yr He probably meant to type "have." I assumed that too, but the t and the v on the keyboard aren't all that close, so I'm not sure.
May 20, 201016 yr He probably meant to type "have." I assumed that too, but the t and the v on the keyboard aren't all that close, so I'm not sure. corrected thanks
May 20, 201016 yr Also bear in mind Volstad's season ERA is heavily influenced by 1 atrocious outing in Colorado.
May 20, 201016 yr The Marlins are now 5th in runs scored and 5th in total ERA in the NL. If we keep that up we're probably going to make the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr The Marlins are now 5th in runs scored and 5th in total ERA in the NL. If we keep that up we're probably going to make the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr The Marlins are now 5th in runs scored and 5th in total ERA in the NL. If we keep that up we're probably going to make the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr I wanted to find out how our rotation has compared to the rest of the NL this month and couldn't find the stats for that anywhere so I calculated each team's starters' ERA for May. Here's what I got. 1. SD - 2.36 2. FLA - 2.63 3. STL - 2.94 4. PHI - 3.00 5. CIN - 3.21 6. ATL - 3.54 7. SF - 3.58 8. COL - 3.67 9. LAD - 3.77 10. ARI - 4.22 11. PIT - 4.49 12. MIL - 4.59 13. CHC - 4.67 14. HOU - 4.79 15. NYM - 6.06 :mischief League Average: 3.83 So JJ/Nolasco/Volstad/Sanchez/Robertson is outpitching Carpenter/Wainwright/Penny/Garcia/Lohse and Halladay/Moyer/Hamels/Kendrick/Blanton. Finally, the production we all knew we could get out of this core of SPs. The only team ahead of us, San Diego, is overachieving quite a bit with Jon Garland, a career 4.36 ERA, holding down a 2.38 and Wade LeBlanc, a career 3.86 and a guy who had a total of 13 career starts coming in to this year holding down a 1.54 so take that for what it's worth.
May 20, 201016 yr Because I wanted to find out how our rotation has compared to the rest of the NL this month and couldn't find the stats for that anywhere, I calculated each team's starters' ERA for May. Here's what I got. 1. SD - 2.36 2. FLA - 2.63 3. STL - 2.94 4. PHI - 3.00 5. CIN - 3.21 6. ATL - 3.54 7. SF - 3.58 8. COL - 3.67 9. LAD - 3.77 10. ARI - 4.22 11. PIT - 4.49 12. MIL - 4.59 13. CHC - 4.67 14. HOU - 4.79 15. NYM - 6.06 :mischief So JJ/Nolasco/Volstad/Sanchez/Robertson is outpitching Carpenter/Wainwright/Penny/Garcia/Lohse and Halladay/Moyer/Hamels/Kendrick/Blanton. Finally, the production we all knew we could get out of this core of SPs. Oh, those silly Mets.:lol
May 20, 201016 yr The Marlins are now 5th in runs scored and 5th in total ERA in the NL. If we keep that up we're probably going to make the playoffs.
May 20, 201016 yr The Marlins are now 5th in runs scored and 5th in total ERA in the NL. If we keep that up we're probably going to make the playoffs.
May 21, 201016 yr Regarding 2010, it's still early in the season. We're 10th in OPS and 6th in runs per game but by the end of the year the runs per game and OPS will be within one or two of each other. That never misses. So we need to hit better or we're screwed. If hitting better is going to be our biggest problem, I can live with that, because I don't expect Coghlan to be a 51 OPS+ all year, among others with room to be better.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.