Marlins Top 10 prospects

fanofthefish

Baseball America posted their list of the Marlins top ten prospects for 2011. No real surprises to the list.

1. Dominguez-3b

2. James-lhp

3. Yelich-of

4. Marinez-rhp

5. Martinez-ss

6. Hand-lhp

7. Cousins-of

8. Skipworth-c

9. Ozuna-of

10. Rasmussen-lhp

The also project the Marlins line-up in 2014 to be as follows:

C-Skipworth

1B-Morrison

2B-Coghlan

3B-Dominguez

SS-Ramirez

LF-Yelich

CF-Cousins

RF-Stanton

No. 1 JJ

No. 2 James

No. 3 Nolasco

No. 4 A. Sanchez

No. 5 Hand

Closer-Marinez

They also list the players with the best tools in the organization.

Baseball America posted their list of the Marlins top ten prospects for 2011. No real surprises to the list.

1. Dominguez-3b

2. James-lhp

3. Yelich-of

4. Marinez-rhp

5. Martinez-ss

6. Hand-lhp

7. Cousins-of

8. Skipworth-c

9. Ozuna-of

10. Rasmussen-lhp

I'm not surprised by the first three, who are are three of our last four first round picks, but I am surprised Marinez is ahead of Hand. Marinez has the best fastball in the system for two years now, but Hand is a pretty legit starting prospect. I really hope they are listed that way because they expect Marinez to be a shut down reliever, but I fear it's because they are projecting Hand for 5th SP/lefty reliever land. I am hopeful for a good 3 or 4.

I would rank our guys

1-Dominguez B+/B

2-James B+/B

3-Hand B/B-

4-Yelich B/B-

5-Skipworth C+

6-Rasmussen C+

7-Marinez C+

8-O. Martinez C+/C

9-Olmos C+/C

10-Ozuna C+/C

11-Cousins C

12-Ceda C

And there are another 6-10 other arms (Jennings, Cishek, Caminero, Koehler, Poveda, Reed, Kaminska, etc) who are legitimate bullpen material. Maybe Petersen can turn into a bench outfielder and Smolinski rebounds off a terrible year. A couple of interesting injured players, like Berglund and Trahern, too. Something should emerge here.

System is weak, but as said, if our first and second year players counted...

Stanton A+

Morrison A

Coghlan B+

West B

Dunn B

G. Sanchez B

Sanabia C+

.. we'd be in pretty good shape.

We need a nice draft in 2011 to longterm start thinking about 2015-2016, but we're in really good shape through at least 2013 right now.

The good news is that we aren't completely dirt cheap anymore, so most of these guys (Stanton/Morrison/Coghlan/Ramirez/etc...) will probably be on the team come 2014 at least.

The system looks pretty weak, but the good news is that most of really good talent we have in the majors is under team control for quite a while.

That's a pretty sad list.

In all fairness...

Coghlan, Sanchez, Stanton.

Morrison is sad.

Let alone West, Sanabia, and Dunn who don't qualify.

I actually didn't look at the list, I assumed Morrison and Sanabia were still on there.

That just makes the argument even better. The Marlins have exhausted their prospect pool, that list is pretty damn good for an empty one.

I hope to see Brad Hand get a shot in our rotation eventually... anyone know if he is getting a ST invite?

I would doubt he'll get one this year. He was a late call up to Jacksonville so he would need a season there. Plus even though they're not rated in the top 10 Koehler and Villanueva who did pitch the whole year at Jacksonville will probably get invites ahead of Hand.

love how our 2014 lineup would look though. Primarily if at least one and hopefully two of James/West/Hand pans out.

I guess we'll all just keep typing "Chris Coghlan 2B" until it kills us.

We really need two of them (and throw in Sanabia, Rasmussen, and Olmos too into the legitimate potential starter category) to turn into starters by 2014. Anibal is off the books after 2012, and Johnson and Nolasco after 2013. I find it likely we will keep 1 of the current right handers on a big longterm contract (i.e., Johnson), add in Volstad arbitration year 6, and that list of 6 other starters is all we got. If we can get two out of them, and then sign a 1 year 'Javy Vazquez,' we're still in great shape on paper. I mean, it's a lot to think about so far down the road and so much can happen, but we really have to develop those pitchers or impending doom is coming. Johnson is going to cost so god damn much and you literally can't lose him if he is this good, that there will have to be cheap options all over the diamond to balance out the team.

And following this long-longterm idea, expect our first two picks to be pitchers who project to be ready by 2014. i.e., College starters. It's against their MO, but you already saw that with Rasmussen (small, not a top end fastball, progressed college) this past year where they are starting to form a core of people to come in right when Johnson/Hanley/Nolasco come off the books, and Stanton/Morrison/Coghlan/Volstad/etc all start to hit arbitration years. Gotta love the financial planning of the organization right now. They are killing it. Thank god Uggla isn't on the books.

And yes, we've only been typing "Chris Coghlan 2B" for 5 years. We are so close though.

Well of course it's too early.

You cant think that none of them will flop/all of them will sign/all of them will be healthy/etc.

So many factors influencing a lineup. For all we know, Coghlan could fizzle out to a bench player and no-name x could step up as a starter.

I hope not. I just registered the domain "www.chriscoghlanmarlinssecondbasemanstud.com"

INVESTING!

If the Marlins have no interest in playing Coghlan at 2B, they should consider trading him, sooner rather than later.

I don't think they want to move a lefty bat. I can see a scenario where, if project CF doesn't work out, Martinez keeps hitting in AAA, Bonifacio isn't so bad, they pencil in Coghlan in LF, move Morrison to 1B, go Infante at 2B and hope to god Martinez/Bonifacio can cover it next year. Then eventually get Dominguez to 3B, and figure out if Cousins is going to be your CF, or acquire one in trade (Gaby Sanchez and Leo Nunez would be readily available in such a scenario) or free agency 2012 (best names - Beltran, Cameron, DeJesus, and McLouth and Sizemore have options).

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying expect something stupid.

Well of course it's too early.

You cant think that none of them will flop/all of them will sign/all of them will be healthy/etc.

So many factors influencing a lineup. For all we know, Coghlan could fizzle out to a bench player and no-name x could step up as a starter.

I hope not. I just registered the domain "www.chriscoghlanmarlinssecondbasemanstud.com"

INVESTING!

The genius of a UCF graduate.