Greg Dobbs Signed

Admin

I like this move.

I think they should keep Baker off the roster, until he's ready to catch; Dobbs can be the lefty 1B/3B off the bench, who can occasionally play some corner outfield, if absolutely necessary.

Also, if Dominguez can't make the team, it's possible that Dobbs makes the team, and there's a platoon situation at 3B with him and Helms. As far as I'm concerned, that sounds better to me than Emilio Bonifacio starting everyday.

i just looked at dobbs' splits... why is this good? he ain't getting on the roster.

Initially I agree because we have to carry Hayes for defensive purposes. But I suspect when Baker is cleared to throw/catch, the Marlins will want a non-catcher lefty to bat off the bench. You have to imagine they want the bench to be this:

Baker

Helms

Bonifacio

Veteran Lefty/Dobbs/Lubanski/whoever

Defensive Replacement Outfielder/Cousins/Wise/whoever

Dobbs could be that guy. He has sucked for 2 years, but he was really awesome 07-08 and you never know. I have no problems with minor league deals. There is no risk.

Only thing I'm worried about is having a 2B as the starting Center Fielder and a guy who should be going to AAA starting at 3B, with the added bonus of unnecessarily starting his arbitration clock.

i just looked at dobbs' splits... why is this good? he ain't getting on the roster.

yes, and who goes off the 40-man if Dobbs goes on?

does 6-46 make you want to give up on a younger guy on the 40-man?

I think they will have Baker (already on 40-man) fill that role.

If, when he's healthy enough to catch, Hayes goes down and another lefty hitter (Cousins) comes up.

If, when he's healthy enough to catch, Hayes goes down and another lefty hitter (Cousins) comes up.

Not to be argumentative, but the following guys are currently on the 40 man roster and really offer little at this time.

Chris Hatcher (converted to pitcher)

Adalberto Mendez (AAAA type)

Brad Davis (3rd catcher at best)

And the next 7 (in no order of ranking), I all like in their own special way, but probably not losing much with a DFA if somehow we make 3+ roster moves

Steve Cishek

Arquimedes Caminero

Bryan Petersen

Omar Poveda

Sandy Rosario

Evan Reed

Dustin Richardson

Point is, we have plenty of space on the 40 man if the organization promotes Dominguez, adds Dobbs, and let's say adds another veteran OF and keeps Cousins in AAA for the time being. We can lose some of this (if they'd even be claimed) if it improves the MLB club right now.

Not to be argumentative, but the following guys are currently on the 40 man roster and really offer little at this time.....

Point is, we have plenty of space on the 40 man if the organization promotes Dominguez, adds Dobbs, and let's say adds another veteran OF and keeps Cousins in AAA for the time being. We can lose some of this (if they'd even be claimed) if it improves the MLB club right now.

What's with this gone-soft crap? I miss good ole Lou and his n00b-crushing edginess.

Initially I agree because we have to carry Hayes for defensive purposes. But I suspect when Baker is cleared to throw/catch, the Marlins will want a non-catcher lefty to bat off the bench. You have to imagine they want the bench to be this:

Baker

Helms

Bonifacio

Veteran Lefty/Dobbs/Lubanski/whoever

Defensive Replacement Outfielder/Cousins/Wise/whoever

Dobbs could be that guy. He has sucked for 2 years, but he was really awesome 07-08 and you never know. I have no problems with minor league deals. There is no risk.

Only thing I'm worried about is having a 2B as the starting Center Fielder and a guy who should be going to AAA starting at 3B, with the added bonus of unnecessarily starting his arbitration clock.

If Hayes and/or Davis show in ST that they have improved with their bat, then I guess it would depend on what the team wants as a back up catcher as to who MIGHT be offered in trade if other positions aren't working out in ST. Do they want to continue with this defense first frame of mind, or do they want a lefty as the back up. Kinda hard to read their thinking right now. But the signing is good because it leaves a Plan B and a Plan C if things aren't going so smoothly during ST. And it looks more and more like a Plan C might just be a fairly big trade coming with a week or so to go before Opening Day if it is apparent it is needed.

Of course all this is null and void if Cogs is working out in CF and Matt is working out at 3B in ST.

I like this move.

I think they should keep Baker off the roster, until he's ready to catch; Dobbs can be the lefty 1B/3B off the bench, who can occasionally play some corner outfield, if absolutely necessary.

Also, if Dominguez can't make the team, it's possible that Dobbs makes the team, and there's a platoon situation at 3B with him and Helms. As far as I'm concerned, that sounds better to me than Emilio Bonifacio starting everyday.

I don't think you can have Dobbs at 3B on a regular or semi-regular basis. He's a horrible out there.

I like this move.

I don't think you can have Dobbs at 3B on a regular or semi-regular basis. He's a horrible out there.

In limited opportunities he's a -4.7/150 inning by UZR. That's not horrible. It's not good, but it's better than either Helms or Bonifacio.

I like this move.

In limited opportunities he's a -4.7/150 inning by UZR. That's not horrible. It's not good, but it's better than either Helms or Bonifacio.

Yeah, this.

After Dominguez, I think a Dobbs/Helms platoon is the best alternative, at this point.

I like this move.

Baseball-reference has him a -11 or -21 depending on of their stats you use. That's "good" enough to compete for league worst 3B.