April 10, 201115 yr Marlins come back to win 7-5 and take the series! W: Vazquez (1-1) L: Abad (1-1) S: Nunez (3) 2B: L Morrison (3); M Stanton (2); W Helms (2); C Coghlan (5); O Infante (1); G Dobbs (1) HR: G Dobbs (1)
April 10, 201115 yr Two series in a row for the Marlins. Good way to start long road trip. Now...bring out...THE BROOMS.
April 10, 201115 yr No poll? Dobbs = FOTG Just got home from work, give me a minute I see it. Good man. :thumbup
April 10, 201115 yr Dobbs with a huge homer and Cogs with a big double. Lomo is also looking good and man do pitchers seem to be afraid of Mike. Javy pitched pretty well. Looked like he got his curve working later in the game. Leo for once didn't have me sweating bullets.
April 10, 201115 yr Lots of positives tonight 1. Javy settled down and was hitting his spots as the game went on. I found it to be a very encouraging start. 2. Leo gave up a lead off single but didn't buckle and made some great pitches. 3. Dobbs is raking. Get this man in to the starting lineup. 4. Stanton back and healthy and hitting 430 foot shots to dead center. 5. Uncle Wes with a big hit off the bench. 6. Omar starting to hit some line drives. Dobbs definitely FOTG. He is turning out to be a life-saver off the bench. I have on problem giving him the starts vs RHP.
April 10, 201115 yr Javier settling in was key to this game, but Dobbs still is FOTG for some important hitting.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. His velocity was down in the first inning, but from then on, it was pretty much consistently between 88-90.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. He had some bad luck this game but, as I said, I found it to be an encouraging start. His velocity was around 89 but he really started hitting his spots with the fastball later in the game. His offspeed stuff looked good. Just needs to get in a rhythm earlier in the game so hopefully this is a springboard to a more complete outing next time around. I definitely don't think this is a start to get worried from.. I found it to be encouraging. I think he'll settle in fine as our 4th starter. edit - ive said the word encouraging way too much
April 10, 201115 yr Offense starting to find a groove. How nice has Dobbs been? Javy still searching but at least kept the team in it tonight.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. His velocity was down in the first inning, but from then on, it was pretty much consistently between 88-90. He was better after the first two innings with the velocity, etc., but I found the start to be unimpressive, overall. It was obviously better than the first start when he basically had no control of his pitches, but it was a mediocre start, all in all. And the Astros will have one of the worst lineups in the big leagues this year, imo. They're not very talented.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. Relative to what I would expect from them, I might be more worried about the complete and utter dissapearance of Ricky Nolasco's strikeouts. But it's their 2nd start of the season. There's nothing to be worried about, even velocity or stuff wise. That kind of stuff can fluctuate from start to start. Especially early in the season. Baseball Prospectus had an article the other day about how velocities are generally 1-2 MPH lower during the first month of the season compared to the middle of the season. So I wouldn't be worried about a guy who missed a couple of starts in spring and hasn't looked great.
April 10, 201115 yr By the way, it was really nice to see Randy Choate tonight. Finally. I'm hoping Clay Hensley gets a day off tomorrow, for what it's worth. No need to overuse him so early in the season. I think I'm confident in every reliever on this team, except for Leo Nunez in the 9th.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. Relative to what I would expect from them, I might be more worried about the complete and utter dissapearance of Ricky Nolasco's strikeouts. But it's their 2nd start of the season. There's nothing to be worried about, even velocity or stuff wise. That kind of stuff can fluctuate from start to start. Especially early in the season. Baseball Prospectus had an article the other day about how velocities are generally 1-2 MPH lower during the first month of the season compared to the middle of the season. So I wouldn't be worried about a guy who missed a couple of starts in spring and hasn't looked great. I mentioned that about Nolasco last night; hopefully, it changes. Agreed with the rest. I think the bigger issue with Vazquez is the fact that he's leaving too many balls over the middle of the plate; the velocity seems to come around the more he pitches in games.
April 10, 201115 yr Vazquez has me worried. No joke anymore. His velocity was down in the first inning, but from then on, it was pretty much consistently between 88-90. He was better after the first two innings with the velocity, etc., but I found the start to be unimpressive, overall. It was obviously better than the first start when he basically had no control of his pitches, but it was a mediocre start, all in all. And the Astros will have one of the worst lineups in the big leagues this year, imo. They're not very talented. And every base hit won't be a double every time he goes out. He certainly wasn't great, but he was far, far better than his last start, and he got much, much sharper as the game went on. He's going to give up his share of XBHs. And I could totally see him blowing up for a 5 ERA this year. But I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be roughly league average, and tonight, I think, showed that.
April 10, 201115 yr So.. if Hanley is in the lineup tomorrow, does Dobbs' hot bat get the start vs the lefty or do we see Donnie? I'd guess Donnie.. but I hope we start seeing Dobbs get the starts against RHP. He looks great at the plate.
April 10, 201115 yr So.. if Hanley is in the lineup tomorrow, does Dobbs' hot bat get the start vs the lefty or do we see Donnie? I'd guess Donnie.. but I hope we start seeing Dobbs get the starts against RHP. He looks great at the plate. I doubt Hanley plays again until at least Tuesday since Monday gives him a bonus day off. More than likely it'll be Donnie and Dobbs again.
April 10, 201115 yr So.. if Hanley is in the lineup tomorrow, does Dobbs' hot bat get the start vs the lefty or do we see Donnie? I'd guess Donnie.. but I hope we start seeing Dobbs get the starts against RHP. He looks great at the plate. I doubt Hanley plays again until at least Tuesday since Monday gives him a bonus day off. More than likely it'll be Donnie and Dobbs again. I doubt Dobbs gets the start tomorrow; J.A. Happ is on the mound. It'll either be: 1. Helms at 3B; Murphy at SS. 2. Murphy at 3B; Bonifacio at SS.
April 10, 201115 yr So when Hanley is healthy, do you guys think Dobbs will start getting the majority of ABs at 3B against RHP? At least for the time being while he's hitting so well?
April 10, 201115 yr So.. if Hanley is in the lineup tomorrow, does Dobbs' hot bat get the start vs the lefty or do we see Donnie? I'd guess Donnie.. but I hope we start seeing Dobbs get the starts against RHP. He looks great at the plate. I doubt Hanley plays again until at least Tuesday since Monday gives him a bonus day off. More than likely it'll be Donnie and Dobbs again. I doubt Dobbs gets the start tomorrow; J.A. Happ is on the mound. It'll either be: 1. Helms at 3B; Murphy at SS. 2. Murphy at 3B; Bonifacio at SS. As odd as it sounds I think Id like Helms at 3rd tomorrow. Hes been hitting.
April 10, 201115 yr So when Hanley is healthy, do you guys think Dobbs will start getting the majority of ABs at 3B against RHP? At least for the time being while he's hitting so well? I expect him to get some more starts against RHP if he keeps hitting this way. Considering Murphy's struggles, Helms might start getting some more starts against LHP, as well. I think we'll see a rotation sooner or later where all 3 guys are getting some starts, based on matchups, etc. None of them have any business starting everyday, to be honest. So, it's probably the best solution.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.