Favorite Marlins minor league affiliate

Since the beginning of the Marlins franchise, what minor league affiliate is / was your favorite and why?

I was a big Portland Sea Dogs fan before Boston took them over. Since they played in the Eastern League, I got to see them every time they came to Reading to play the Phillies. My niece loved Slugger the mascot and I really liked the teal away jersey (which I still own). The jersey got me quite a few autographs. Mark Kotsay and Charles Johnson always signed for me. Former Marlins' first-round draft pick Adrian Gonzalez thought I had a cool jersey when he signed for me in 2000. Too bad the Marlins let them go, I would have driven to Reading every game to see Stanton play before getting called up.

I liked when they were the Brevard County Manatees with their mascot Hugh Manatee :thumbup

The Sea Dogs and then the Mud Cats place high on my list too. For pictures and autographs I got to go with the GCL team, they wear the uniforms of the big team so its like getting them in that uniform years before playing in the Majors.

I don't think anyone would be shocked at my answer...

It's really sad to go watch a game at Hadlock Field now - they've really butchered the look of the stadium by adding all of these Fenway-esque gimmicks. I've only been to a few games since 2002 (only when the Yankees' team are the visitors, plus another time when I was doing stuff for a local radio station), but the game being played on the field is almost secondary to all of the Red Sox video clips they show. Not that I'm still bitter after 9 years or anything... :confused

By all accounts its a medicore stadium, they dont draw, and their location in relation to the rest of the PCL.

Unless you're riding the bus, why does the location matter?

Plus, I rather have an okay stadium, average attendance (averaging 768 off the average isn't that bad) and normal elevation than a beautiful stadium, large crowds, and being so high up that the team becomes useless for player development.

My least favorite was the Topes.

I grew up five minutes from Reading Phillies AA stadium, have never been to a Marlins affiliate home ballpark. There are two things I really enjoyed about R-Phils stadium. Behind the first base bleachers, they have a killer grill station. They make a mean Italian Sausage (with peppers) sandwich The other good thing they did right was put a Yuengling beer stand and mini-bar in the left field bleachers. If you ever make it to Pennsylvania, try a Yuengling Lager (not sure how far the beer goes outside of PA). For trivia buffs: Yuengling is the oldest American brewery

Has to be the Elmira Pioneers - it's not much, but I absolutely love Dunn Field ..... last time I was there they still had some of the original seating from when it was built in 1938 (opened in '39) ...... long time home of the red sox affiliates, switched over when the marlins came into the league and they did a huge renovation of the lower seating area

kind of a good view of the seating & press box

aerial view - the chemung river flows past left field and there were often people camped on the banks hoping for a HR

"experienced seats"

if you want to see more just click here

http://www.frontiernet.net/~rochballparks/elmira/elmira.htm

I absolutely love that place - right now they are keeping it alive with a collegiate baseball team league .... hopefully it can stay running for another 8 or 9 years so I can get up there and take my kids

I grew up five minutes from Reading Phillies AA stadium, have never been to a Marlins affiliate home ballpark. There are two things I really enjoyed about R-Phils stadium. Behind the first base bleachers, they have a killer grill station. They make a mean Italian Sausage (with peppers) sandwich The other good thing they did right was put a Yuengling beer stand and mini-bar in the left field bleachers. If you ever make it to Pennsylvania, try a Yuengling Lager (not sure how far the beer goes outside of PA). For trivia buffs: Yuengling is the oldest American brewery

Yuengling is a pretty popular beer brand. Pretty sure it's nation-wide.

It isn't national - it has expanded to most of the east coast though .... it's had a pretty strong presence in FL for a while (even after it lost some of it's distributorship in the mid-atlantic) mainly due to their plant in Tampa

It's pretty much the beer of philadelphia though - generally ordered by simply asking for a lager and usually pretty cheap .... it's even made it back to my home town in NY for quite a bit now, so I can indulge when visiting family