2011-2012 NBA Thread

poptart

Deal called off by David Stern:

Sources said that a group of NBA owners, assembled in New York for the ratification of the league's new labor pact with the players, protested vigorously that the league-owned Hornets were trading Paul to the star-studded Lakers and convinced NBA commissioner David Stern to intervene.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7333285/los-angeles-lakers-deal-acquire-chris-paul-off

This is dumb. I think the trade makes the Lakers a worse team. As a Heat fan, I welcomed the trade.

yeah i dont really get the trade. khloe kardashian must be happy it was called off.

the hornets would be making some serious upgrades with that trade though. they basically get 3 very good players and one solid player for 1 guy.

No, they wouldn't have.

The NBA's become a joke. The majority of the teams in the league are becoming irrelevant.

I thought the CBA was defending against that, too. I don't know.

I don't think this is so bad, though. I mean, I don't want to get rid of Dwight, but the NBA is at it's best when they are super powers like Miami and LA. At least, that's what I remember reading when the big three joined together two summers ago.

The NBA's become a joke. The majority of the teams in the league are becoming irrelevant.

I thought the CBA was defending against that, too. I don't know.

I don't think this is so bad, though. I mean, I don't want to get rid of Dwight, but the NBA is at it's best when they are super powers like Miami and LA. At least, that's what I remember reading when the big three joined together two summers ago.

I agree. I wish they'd eliminate about half the regular season games so we could just get to the playoffs already.

This is dumb. I think the trade makes the Lakers a worse team. As a Heat fan, I welcomed the trade.

yeah i dont really get the trade. khloe kardashian must be happy it was called off.

the hornets would be making some serious upgrades with that trade though. they basically get 3 very good players and one solid player for 1 guy.

No, they wouldn't have.

yes, they would have. At worst, they would not have been all that much worse than they were with just Paul. That team was totally empty as it stands. They would have competed for a playoff spot next year.

The reason it wasn't a great deal was because if you lose a superstar in the NBA, your best bet is to tear the whole thing down and try to find another. But they would have been competitive and kept things interesting, just like the Nuggets did last year when they lost Carmelo.

No, they wouldn't have.

yes, they would have. At worst, they would not have been all that much worse than they were with just Paul. That team was totally empty as it stands. They would have competed for a playoff spot next year.

The reason it wasn't a great deal was because if you lose a superstar in the NBA, your best bet is to tear the whole thing down and try to find another. But they would have been competitive and kept things interesting, just like the Nuggets did last year when they lost Carmelo.

Yeah, exactly.

And no, not really. At least the Nuggets got young players with upside for Melo. This trade was just veterans going to New Orleans.

The trade was completely lopsided. The Lakers get the superstar, trade two guys which actually ends up giving them more cap room to land a trade for Howard, and they don't even give up a 1st rounder. For some reason, it's Houston who has to give up the 1st rounder.

In the NBA, the only team that truly gets better is the team adding the star.

And the difference between now and then is that players can now cry like babies and decide whereever the hell they want to go even under contract. Because the Heat did the big 3 thing, so it's now the cool thing to do. The only player who decided not to do this was Kevin Durant.

Kind of like how things were in the 80's and 90's in the East, huh?

Also, Boston's core is getting broken up real soon. They don't belong on that list.

I was going to leave them off, but they are together. And I am talking about this season, so I felt the need to mention them.

In the West, I can see LAL giving the Heat issues with their size. But, I don't see anyone else other than them. Sucks, if they got Paul and Howard that would have been quite the rivalry.

And the difference between now and then is that players can now cry like babies and decide whereever the hell they want to go even under contract. Because the Heat did the big 3 thing, so it's now the cool thing to do. The only player who decided not to do this was Kevin Durant.

Man, you're really eating up the narratives, huh.

Comparing Kevin Durant to LeBron, Carmelo, Dwight, or Chris Paul is just silly, and it's silly for a very obvious reason. I'll see if you can figure it out.

And you're still wrong. It's happened throughout the history of the NBA, as well as every other sport.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Kareem Abdul Jabar, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Adrian Dantley as players who forced or threatened to force their way out of situations they didn't want to be in. So, you know, 3 of the top 25 players ever and another who is probably top 100.

Kind of like how things were in the 80's and 90's in the East, huh?

Also, Boston's core is getting broken up real soon. They don't belong on that list.

I was going to leave them off, but they are together. And I am talking about this season, so I felt the need to mention them.

In the West, I can see LAL giving the Heat issues with their size. But, I don't see anyone else other than them. Sucks, if they got Paul and Howard that would have been quite the rivalry.

Memphis and OKC are awesome young teams with lots of room to grow and no holes. They'll be tough for anyone.

Man, you're really eating up the narratives, huh.

Comparing Kevin Durant to LeBron, Carmelo, Dwight, or Chris Paul is just silly, and it's silly for a very obvious reason. I'll see if you can figure it out.

And you're still wrong. It's happened throughout the history of the NBA, as well as every other sport.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Kareem Abdul Jabar, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Adrian Dantley as players who forced or threatened to force their way out of situations they didn't want to be in. So, you know, 3 of the top 25 players ever and another who is probably top 100.

I guess the difference would be that Durant's not nearing free agency? Either way, he didn't have to sign an extension with them.

Also, I'm only 20 so I guess you're right. Magic, Barkley, and Kareem forced trades even when under contract?

I don't see this happening in other sports right now. What are you talking about?