Is MLK's dream reality?

True CRaysball

Little black boy: "I think Martin Luther King, Jr. would say, if he were alive today, his dream has come true."

I would have to respectfully disagree, I think he'd be disgusted how some black leaders like Al Sharpton play the race card whenever they dang well please to demonize their opponents, even when race is not involved. I don't think his dream is reality yet, it's close, but no cigar.

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day all!

It certainly doesn't help that you pointed out only the black leaders as race baiters who MLK would disapprove of.

Both races do it, I regret not point that in my original message, however my point that race baiting and race card playing still exist still stands.

I only pointed out black leaders because since he was black and they were the ones fighting for equality at the time, I figured he might be more frustrated with them, I could be wrong though.In fact, I probably am.

So you think the most important way in which MLK's dream remains unfulfilled is via the conduct of guys like Sharpton? Or even the white guys?

What about higher poverty rates, higher (relative) percentage of the prison population, worse education rates, and continued racism across many, if not all, spheres of society -- both conscious and subconscious?

I think as soon as the baby boomers are gone, the tables will flip completely. Race should not play a part in anything other than appearance. A lot of baby boomers are absolutely as racist as there is. On the flip side, you have Jackson and Sharpton, who have absolutely abused the influence they have. The younger white generation has to walk on eggshells about virtually everything, for fear of being called a racist. That being said, if MLK was truely fighting for equality, then no, I dont think would be pleased at all. Present day civil rights leaders are toxic, money and power hungry criminals. As are politicians, but that is a whole different debate.

Well that was idiotic of you, since it was a bad post. If you're going to present an argument, you should probably take care to notice that some people just MIGHT take offense.

To answer the question: no, he would be furious. The imprisonment rates alone of African-Americans would give him a stroke if he heard them. Yes, it's certainly better than the 1960s, but there's still a long way to go, and to say otherwise is ignoring many lingering issues.

Well that was idiotic of you, since it was a bad post. If you're going to present an argument, you should probably take care to notice that some people just MIGHT take offense.

To answer the question: no, he would be furious. The imprisonment rates alone of African-Americans would give him a stroke if he heard them. Yes, it's certainly better than the 1960s, but there's still a long way to go, and to say otherwise is ignoring many lingering issues.

But the higher poverty rates and imprisonment rates of African Americans is caused only by racism and white people?

Did I expect a few to take offense? Sure, how could I not, some people are way to sensitive these days. Did I expect them to blow it out of proportion the way they did? No.

MLK would be pretty happy, if you ask me.

People like Al Sharpton have the ability to freely act like a jackass if they want. Surely, the system ain't perfect. But it's a far cry from what it was before MLK.

Never been a fan of this argument. It's better than before doesn't make it good.

Ron Paul seems to think racism still exists.

But, also, I’m the only one up here and the only one in the Democratic Party that understands true racism in this country is in the judicial system. And it has to do with enforcing the drug laws.

Look at the percentages. The percentage of people who use drugs are about the same with blacks and whites. And yet the blacks are arrested way disproportionately. They’re — they’re prosecuted and imprisoned way disproportionately. They get — they get the death penalty way disproportionately.

MLK would be pretty happy, if you ask me.

People like Al Sharpton have the ability to freely act like a jackass if they want. Surely, the system ain't perfect. But it's a far cry from what it was before MLK.

Never been a fan of this argument. It's better than before doesn't make it good.

What, you want things to be perfect? Things will never be perfect. Be grateful with what you've got and continue to strive for a better tomorrow. There is no "best" tomorrow, and racism certainly wont vanish in a little over a generation after hundreds of years of existence.

Be real. We've come a long way since the 60s. We will continue to advance, but to think that things aren't good right now is unfair. You cannot expect perfection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.