July 6, 201313 yr Ames has great strikeout numbers in the minors but from what I can gather, he doesn't have much on his fastball (90-92 MPH). I wonder how that will translate into the major leagues. Actually, his strikeout numbers have already declined this year.
July 6, 201313 yr Ames has great strikeout numbers in the minors but from what I can gather, he doesn't have much on his fastball (90-92 MPH). I wonder how that will translate into the major leagues. Actually, his strikeout numbers have already declined this year. and walks up. He does have 10 ks in his last 11IP...
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. Hopefully the other prospects are more interesting.
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. I don't think that's true.
July 7, 201313 yr @JoeFrisaro: I'm also hearing RHP Josh Wall, along with Steve Ames, is part of #Marlins #Dodgers pending deal
July 7, 201313 yr @JoeFrisaro: I'm also hearing RHP Josh Wall, along with Steve Ames, is part of #Marlins #Dodgers pending deal Meh
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. Hopefully the other prospects are more interesting. How did you come to that conclusion?
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. I don't think that's true. He seems to rely primarily on a 90 MPH fastball with a slider as his only real secondary pitch (a change is used less frequently). That's not particularly impressive, especially for a reliever.
July 7, 201313 yr @JoeFrisaro: I'm also hearing RHP Josh Wall, along with Steve Ames, is part of #Marlins #Dodgers pending deal Meh Wtf, why even waste money on a plane ticket...?
July 7, 201313 yr Steve Ames, Josh Wall & Angel Sanchez for Ricky & pool money. AND pool money? This is terrible.
July 7, 201313 yr Steve Ames, Josh Wall & Angel Sanchez for Ricky & pool money. 23 year old in A+. Nice haul fish.
July 7, 201313 yr I'll be pretty pissed if his salary was the difference between "good" prospects from col and this haul from LA
July 7, 201313 yr Not impressed with any of those three guys, but I never really thought that Nolasco's value was that high to begin with.
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. I don't think that's true. He seems to rely primarily on a 90 MPH fastball with a slider as his only real secondary pitch (a change is used less frequently). That's not particularly impressive, especially for a reliever. That's a bold conclusion you've reached. #1 - He doesn't seem to top out at 90 mph. #2 - You basically just described Steve Cishek's stuff. There are plenty of successful relievers in the big leagues who don't throw 95+.
July 7, 201313 yr Nolasco is no better than Scott Feldman who was basically traded for the same thing about a week ago.
July 7, 201313 yr I think Ames will be a good reliever but he's already 25. The other guys are nothing special. Now time for Cishek to be traded.
July 7, 201313 yr For a guy who is expected to be a #3 or #4 on a team going all-in and losing, I was expecting the Marlins to be able to squeeze something a bit better than the #21 prospect in the system, and a couple of terrible, terrible prospects.
July 7, 201313 yr Not impressed with any of those three guys, but I never really thought that Nolasco's value was that high to begin with. This. All these guys seem kinda meh. Sanchez was ranked as the Dodgers 8th best prospect by MLB.com before the season, but he's 23 in A+ ball. Ames is the guy I think could turn into a decent reliever for us. Wall is bleh and Sanchez could become something, but right now he needs work.
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. I don't think that's true. He seems to rely primarily on a 90 MPH fastball with a slider as his only real secondary pitch (a change is used less frequently). That's not particularly impressive, especially for a reliever. That's a bold conclusion you've reached. #1 - He doesn't seem to top out at 90 mph. #2 - You basically just described Steve Cishek's stuff. There are plenty of successful relievers in the big leagues who don't throw 95+. Pitch FX data shows Ames relying heavily on the fastball (high frequency), with a velocity in the 90-91 MPH range over the past several seasons. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=571441&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=07/06/2013&s_type=2 Data from this season taken in spring training averages out around 90.02 MPH. Cishek is also a terrible comparison. He has a greater variety of pitches and has several more MPH on his fastball. Cishek is consistently in the 93-94 MPH range and Ames is more 90-91 MPH (with a less diverse array of pitches).
July 7, 201313 yr I'll be pretty pissed if his salary was the difference between "good" prospects from col and this haul from LA It obviously was, but I doubt Colorado's offer was filled with top 10 prospect players in return. We took the meh offer from the team that would take Nolasco's contract. Not exactly a shocking revelation.
July 7, 201313 yr And apparently this deal got better after Nolasco's last start. I hate to see what it actually was before his last start
July 7, 201313 yr In the end it doesn't seem like he has good enough stuff to be a solid major league reliever. I don't think that's true. He seems to rely primarily on a 90 MPH fastball with a slider as his only real secondary pitch (a change is used less frequently). That's not particularly impressive, especially for a reliever. That's a bold conclusion you've reached. #1 - He doesn't seem to top out at 90 mph. #2 - You basically just described Steve Cishek's stuff. There are plenty of successful relievers in the big leagues who don't throw 95+. Pitch FX data shows Ames relying heavily on the fastball (high frequency), with a velocity in the 90-91 MPH range over the past several seasons. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=571441&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=07/06/2013&s_type=2 Data from this season taken in spring training averages out around 90.02 MPH. Cishek is also a terrible comparison. He has a greater variety of pitches and has several more MPH on his fastball. Cishek has two pitches with an average of ~92 mph on his fastball. What's terrible is that you've already reached a conclusion on a guy you've never even seen pitch. Saying a 25-year old reliever who's put up good K #'s in the minors definitely doesn't have the stuff to pitch in the big leagues seems absurd. Most people in the game who have actually watched him pitch seem to think he could pitch in a big league bullpen this year as a 7th/8th inning guy.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.