Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hall of Fame Voting.

Featured Replies

Irked that Carlos Delgado got a one-and-done. Not saying he should be in the Hall, but to only get 21 votes total, that's terrible.

 

 

Hall of Fame voters hate hate HATE designated hitters. Amazing how good a hitter Frank Thomas had to be to get in like he did.

 

Just look side by side with a guy who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame in Jim Rice, and Delgado across the board is a much better hitter. Damn near 500 home runs, over 1000 walks, 99 RBI's or more ten times in his career. Hell even in a past his prime season Delgado produced 38 homers and 115 RBI's for the Mets. Definitely deserved better treatment than the voters gave him.

 

 

Irked that Carlos Delgado got a one-and-done. Not saying he should be in the Hall, but to only get 21 votes total, that's terrible.

 

 

Hall of Fame voters hate hate HATE designated hitters. Amazing how good a hitter Frank Thomas had to be to get in like he did.

 

Just look side by side with a guy who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame in Jim Rice, and Delgado across the board is a much better hitter. Damn near 500 home runs, over 1000 walks, 99 RBI's or more ten times in his career. Hell even in a past his prime season Delgado produced 38 homers and 115 RBI's for the Mets. Definitely deserved better treatment than the voters gave him.

 

 

 

... Delgado was a first baseman. He played only 10% of his career games as a DH. Not sure what you were getting at with the first sentence.

 

And I wrote a small article about Delgado's one-and-done and mentioned Rice, actually.

 

 

I mixed up Delgado and Edgar. Ha! That was a dumb one. Still true they hate DH's though.

 

 

  • Author

What does him being an ass have to do with the hof? This isn't a fucking personality competition.

 

 

For some reason, they have a "character clause" when voting for the Hall of Fame these days. It's stupid, but they have it.

 

It's probably their roundabout way of dealing with someone like Pete Rose and his gambling that apparently ruins the integrity of the game. Also it covers their ass if some guy has HoF numbers but happens to be some kind of child molestor or a rapist or a murderer or something to that extreme. Seriously that's not a joke on my behalf. Luckily no one has gotten to that point but I'd imagine some voters use that character clause against guys who weren't so pleasant to be around.

 

 

Pete Rose never appeared on the BBWAA ballot.

 

 

What does him being an ass have to do with the hof? This isn't a fucking personality competition.

 

For some reason, they have a "character clause" when voting for the Hall of Fame these days. It's stupid, but they have it.

It's probably their roundabout way of dealing with someone like Pete Rose and his gambling that apparently ruins the integrity of the game. Also it covers their ass if some guy has HoF numbers but happens to be some kind of child molestor or a rapist or a murderer or something to that extreme. Seriously that's not a joke on my behalf. Luckily no one has gotten to that point but I'd imagine some voters use that character clause against guys who weren't so pleasant to be around.

 

 

Pete Rose never appeared on the BBWAA ballot.

 

Yes but my point remains that the clause was likely created as a way to deal with guys with great baseball numbers but questionable off the field circumstances, Pete Rose being one, but not the only specific example. Rose does seem to be a prime example though.

What does him being an ass have to do with the hof? This isn't a fucking personality competition.

 

 

For some reason, they have a "character clause" when voting for the Hall of Fame these days. It's stupid, but they have it.

It's probably their roundabout way of dealing with someone like Pete Rose and his gambling that apparently ruins the integrity of the game. Also it covers their ass if some guy has HoF numbers but happens to be some kind of child molestor or a rapist or a murderer or something to that extreme. Seriously that's not a joke on my behalf. Luckily no one has gotten to that point but I'd imagine some voters use that character clause against guys who weren't so pleasant to be around.

Pete Rose never appeared on the BBWAA ballot.

Yes but my point remains that the clause was likely created as a way to deal with guys with great baseball numbers but questionable off the field circumstances, Pete Rose being one, but not the only specific example. Rose does seem to be a prime example though.

Except it doesn't, because there are murderers, racists, etc in the hof. The clause isn't used for that purpose. Its used as a way for their gay little club to exclude players they don't like for whatever reason.

 

Yeah I know how its used... but the original question was what it was created for and I just gave my logical guess on it.

 

 

I don't really see anything blatantly wrong with the current format...

 

Some writers purposely didn't vote for Big Unit or Pedro knowing they'd make it anyway in order to keep others on the ballot due to the 10 player limit. That's retarded

 

 

I don't really see anything blatantly wrong with the current format...

 

Some writers purposely didn't vote for Big Unit or Pedro knowing they'd make it anyway in order to keep others on the ballot due to the 10 player limit. That's retarded

 

 

 

 

Which players are they trying to keep on the ballot, though? The PED guys or some players who shouldn't be getting votes no matter what?

 

 

If there's gonna be a limit to the number of years a guy can stay on the ballot then I might also take the route of not voting for the sure bet guys in the first year or two.

 

I'm not saying Mattingly is a Hall of Famer but using him as an example because I know this was his last year.... If I was a writer that truly believed Mattingly should be in the Hall then why not leave off Pedro or Johnson this year if you know they're sure bets and have an entire decade to get their votes?

If there's gonna be a limit to the number of years a guy can stay on the ballot then I might also take the route of not voting for the sure bet guys in the first year or two.

 

I'm not saying Mattingly is a Hall of Famer but using him as an example because I know this was his last year.... If I was a writer that truly believed Mattingly should be in the Hall then why not leave off Pedro or Johnson this year if you know they're sure bets and have an entire decade to get their votes?

 

 

Shit- I feel for Delgado- he's not a hall of famer, but he had a career good enough to justify atleast 5 years on the ballot.

 

The format failed him- and I'm sure others feel the same as well.

 

His career is remarkably similar to Ortiz, who might end up on the ballot for years

If there's gonna be a limit to the number of years a guy can stay on the ballot then I might also take the route of not voting for the sure bet guys in the first year or two.

 

I'm not saying Mattingly is a Hall of Famer but using him as an example because I know this was his last year.... If I was a writer that truly believed Mattingly should be in the Hall then why not leave off Pedro or Johnson this year if you know they're sure bets and have an entire decade to get their votes?

 

Shit- I feel for Delgado- he's not a hall of famer, but he had a career good enough to justify atleast 5 years on the ballot.

 

The format failed him- and I'm sure others feel the same as well.

 

His career is remarkably similar to Ortiz, who might end up on the ballot for years

 

Anyone who votes for Don Mattingly should vote for Delgado.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.