Nevin gets 2nd interview

Admin

Interesting

Most qualified candidate outside of the rumors that Jeff Loria wants to hire Mattingly once he is scapegoated out of Los Angeles.

(Since Bud Black would rather entertain being a pitching coach over managing the Marlins)

The Redmond thing went poorly because Jeffrey Loria is a lunatic. Redmond didn't do anything terrible other than maybe sticking with Cishek one game too many, which is something many managers stubbornly do with their closer.

Redmond shouldn't have been fired, and I'd have no problem with Nevin. Honestly, I don't care who it is. Whoever it is, just don't fire the damn guy the minute a thing goes wrong. Give him a chance and have some continuity.

The Redmond thing went poorly because Jeffrey Loria is a lunatic. Redmond didn't do anything terrible other than maybe sticking with Cishek one game too many, which is something many managers stubbornly do with their closer.

Redmond shouldn't have been fired, and I'd have no problem with Nevin. Honestly, I don't care who it is. Whoever it is, just don't fire the damn guy the minute a thing goes wrong. Give him a chance and have some continuity.

Redmond should never have been hired, but if he was going to be fired it probably should have been out of a cannon right next to Dan Jennings.

He didn't a lot more than that wrong. You even started your own "Fire Mike Redmond" thread and you weren't trolling.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Redmond doesn't get an interview for any of the managerial vacancies this offseason. He definitely won't be a frontrunner for any of them and that's very telling.

Well there are currently 4 jobs open.

1 is the Marlins.

1 is the Nationals, who should go with an established successful manager because they are so close to being really good.

The other two are the Padres and the Mariners, two teams he has zero ties to and zero ties to any members of the front office, so ya, its not a shocking move nor would it be surprising for him to not be a front runner in either of those spots.  

If it were the Twins with an opening, I guarantee he would get an interview.

Their lineup needs some serious help. And losing doug Fister to the marlins will be a horrendous blow to their SP

I think a healty Rendon will do wonders for that team.  They do have work to do, but when you have a healthy Anthony Rendon and the stud Bryce Harper in your lineup everyday, you will do fine.

Having a healthy Ryan Zimmerman will be great for them also.  

They have a ton of good pieces and an owner who will spend money, they will be fine if they get the right manager.  How Rizzo isnt being held accountable for some of this though is a bit amazing though.  I mean he is going to be hiring his 4th manager!  GM's dont often get to do that within a decade and still have a job.

He didn't a lot more than that wrong. You even started your own "Fire Mike Redmond" thread and you weren't trolling.

I don't remember doing that but it was probably out of frustration right after a game and related to the Cishek situation.

Either way, many managers get a chance to continue after a disappointing 16-22 start. They had just extended him last year. This organization is dumb.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Redmond doesn't get an interview for any of the managerial vacancies this offseason. He definitely won't be a frontrunner for any of them and that's very telling.

The Marlins thought highly enough of him to give him a contract extension. That is very telling that Jeffrey Loria is the problem. Really hard to manage when your owner thinks you're the most essential part of the team and is ready to fire you the minute something goes wrong.

Meanwhile, the same, stupid GM is still here...

I don't remember doing that but it was probably out of frustration right after a game and related to the Cishek situation.

Either way, many managers get a chance to continue after a disappointing 16-22 start. They had just extended him last year. This organization is dumb.

I mean they shouldn't have extended him only to fire him, yes. But the point is that he was a pretty shitty manager and only the Marlins would have given him a shot at the big show at that point.

I mean they shouldn't have extended him only to fire him, yes. But the point is that he was a pretty shitty manager and only the Marlins would have given him a shot at the big show at that point.

Fair enough.

But it also shows that it's pretty irrelevant who they hire now. How many times are they going to hire the wrong guy before we all realize the manager has nothing to do with it? Still the same owner, same GM. A manager is, often times, only as good as his owner/GM. At the end of the day, what matters most is the guy spending the money and the guy making the decisions on how to spend that money. 

It's pretty clear that this search means nothing, especially when Admin Bowa is one of the top candidates apparently. 

Honestly I'm not too worked up about the Bowa thing. I would have liked Bud Black but I respect that he doesn't want to get burnt by a dumpster fire.

I care much more about the fact that nothing at all has changed in the FO.

I feel the same way. We could literally have Erick manage for all I care. 

I feel the same way. We could literally have Erick manage for all I care. 

Erick insists a manager has essentially no impact on the game so if Erick was manager he'd just sit in the dugout and do nothing just to prove his point. He wouldn't even fill out a lineup card. "Whoever wants to bat first go ahead, I don't care" 

The idea that managers have no effect whatsoever is still completely dumb to me. They don't make or break a season necessarily but they influence the outcomes of games.

Absolutely and I can keep pointing to examples.

Take for example NLDS Game 5 Mets vs Dodgers. Collins elected to go to Noah in the 7th inning and then Familia for 6 outs. Another manager may have never went to Noah or may have kept him in to start the 8th. This potentially could've changed the outcome of the game and therefore the series.