October 24, 201510 yr 2016 NL MVP: Kike Hernandez 2016 NL Cy Young: Trevor Williams Wake up, sheeple.
October 24, 201510 yr Author 2016 NL MVP: Kike Hernandez 2016 NL Cy Young: Trevor Williams Wake up, sheeple. YEAH
October 24, 201510 yr YEAH Trevor Williams is a bad minor league arm. Richard Mitchell is a bad minor league arm. This trade doesn't matter in the slightest. IF Williams came up and pitched for the Marlins, that would mean that 10+ guys would have gotten hurt and the Brad Pennys of the world were unavailable. Mitchell has more upside but is less of a sure thing. Williams is a sure thing though: I'm sure he's bad.
October 24, 201510 yr Author It wasn't even definite that Williams was getting a ST invite, he probably would have but as nothing more than a courtesy. Zero chance he was making the team out of ST.
October 24, 201510 yr Author I agree with this. The only player in the minor leagues that I find sort of intriguing still is Kolek, and it's quite possible that even he will not live up to expectations. Everything else in the system kinda sucks. Kolek went from a probable bust to possible bust with the Benedict hiring. I still am not intrigued by him very much.
October 24, 201510 yr Trevor Williams isn't even the most valuable Williams we've lost over the past calendar year.
October 24, 201510 yr This seems more as further evidence of the ineptness of the scouting department of the Marlins. Williams was a second round pick, the Marlins can't keep making draft mistakes! I don't think Williams will amount to much but the Fish gotta stop swinging and missing like this
October 24, 201510 yr Author CONFIRMED - This move was made by the new regime, even though he was just announced as VP yesterday -- Benedict began work before that and had major involvement in this trade.
October 24, 201510 yr Author Benedict knows this kid well that was acquired and is VERY high on him. Feels its a project worth continuing and at a minimal cost.
October 24, 201510 yr Author Well this thread is filled with some dumb comments. Care to point to which ones are "dumb" and why?
October 24, 201510 yr Awesome that the new guy came in already ready to make moves. Love that spirit of reworking things off the bat. Like I said earlier, this feels like a legitimate move. not this trade, the Benedict hiring in itself.
October 24, 201510 yr Author Awesome that the new guy came in already ready to make moves. Love that spirit of reworking things off the bat. Like I said earlier, this feels like a legitimate move. not this trade, the Benedict hiring in itself. FO is very pumped up by his arrival. He's the biggest acquisition this team has made in quite some time.
October 24, 201510 yr For what it's worth, the Pirates place a lot of value on pitchers who get groundballs. Also, the fences are moving in at Marlins Park and our infield defense is obviously good. I'm guessing this will be a focus with Benedict now here.
October 24, 201510 yr Author For what it's worth, the Pirates place a lot of value on pitchers who get groundballs. Also, the fences are moving in at Marlins Park and our infield defense is obviously good. I'm guessing this will be a focus with Benedict now here. Yes
October 25, 201510 yr How crazy would it be if suddenly Benedict trades away every pitcher not named Jose Fernandez?
October 25, 201510 yr Wait a minute, just had a thought.... How the hell did the Pirates agree to this trade? I mean, one of your directors of pitching leaves to do essentially the same job with another team and then, before he is even announced to be with the new team, he's already working to take one of your young prospects away? Seems like an obvious red flag to not give him what/who he wants because there's some value there. That's like when your girlfriend breaks up with you and she immediately asks if she can keep all your really good DVDs. Ugh, I still hate that bitch.
October 25, 201510 yr Wait a minute, just had a thought.... How the hell did the Pirates agree to this trade? I mean, one of your directors of pitching leaves to do essentially the same job with another team and then, before he is even announced to be with the new team, he's already working to take one of your young prospects away? Seems like an obvious red flag to not give him what/who he wants because there's some value there. Oh well. you mean like the cubs acquiring rizzo?
October 25, 201510 yr you mean like the cubs acquiring rizzo? excellent example. How'd the Padres let that one happen? Even then, this one was within 24 hours of the guy leaving Pittsburgh
October 25, 201510 yr Author Hey @dim, you didn't seem that high on Williams here - http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/72369-adam-conley-called-up-by-miami-marlins/?do=findComment&comment=1541015 What happened?
October 25, 201510 yr Hey @dim, you didn't seem that high on Williams here - http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/72369-adam-conley-called-up-by-miami-marlins/?do=findComment&comment=1541015 What happened?
October 25, 201510 yr In that thread I said that he was a #5 at best. In this thread I said that he's a #5 at best. I still believe that he is likely a #4/5 at best. Right now we have no idea what the other guy can be, and his numbers are mediocre at a much lower level. I can be somewhat down on Williams and still say that he has a higher likelihood of contributing anything at the major league level than the guy we got.
October 25, 201510 yr I find it funny your comeback is always "oh man we traded away a future Cy Young winner waaah". You are completely ignoring any argument I'm making because you absolutely do not want to hear any of it. I've followed Williams career for a while, and I've said my opinion on him. I group him with the rest of the guys we have who aren't good enough to be on a playoff team's starting rotation, but he put up decent enough numbers to continue giving him looks, and there was a chance of him seeing some starts in the majors this upcoming season. Mitchell won't see the majors until 2019 if he ever sees it at all. This trade sucks, and seems more like compensation for taking Benedict away than anything else.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.