Sherman's Endgame ?

When every move discounts the value of fan support, it makes you wonder whether the intent is to boil the fanbase down to logo lovers and farm fluffers, before they say attendance is atrocious, we have to move.

I disagree with "every move discounts the value of fan support" so I can't agree with you on this. If you want to assume that everything Sherman and Jeter do is done with hatred for the fan base then go right ahead and knock yourself out. 

But I must ask, did you miss today's announcement where they revealed a very fan friendly logo and 25th anniversary celebration plans? 

Interestingly, when interviewed about his motivation to buy the marlins, Sherman mentioned watching Mickey Mantle as an indelible print and then his second move is unloado

the barely noticeable blip in attendance when he pitched would seem to quantify it fairly well.

Tommy John will do that...

barely noticeable? The home attendance when Fernández pitched (26,938) was 27.6 percent greater than when he didn't (21,113)

you right.  I was going based on a lebatard segment i heard over the summer but i clearly misremembered who they were discussing.  I think now that I remember it that they were discussing how Stanton was having a ridiculous season and there wasnt a noticeable change in the attendance regardless. My bad.

Point stands that this is a stupid topic though.

you right.  I was going based on a lebatard segment i heard over the summer but i clearly misremembered who they were discussing.  I think now that I remember it that they were discussing how Stanton was having a ridiculous season and there wasnt a noticeable change in the attendance regardless. My bad.

Point stands that this is a stupid topic though.

You got me dude, anyone who can clearly misremember is out of my league.

The same fans WHO DIDN’T SHOW UP last year to see the highest payroll in franchise history, the best outfield in baseball and a 60-hr chase.

I went to 20 games last year (I live in Palm Beach County).  

I’m almost certain there were other people at the ballpark when I was there. 

How many games did you go to?

dont you have another thread with the latest random inconsequential stupid thought thats popped in your head to start?

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Bruce Sherman is a corporate raider, all his moves so far are consistent with his modus operandi. He buys companies, guts for a profit and moves on. Check out what he did with Knight Ridder.

You really are a fool if you think I meant anyone on this website. I meant the attendance was garbage.

The thing that stood out to me most was when i went to a Saturday night game against the Padres in late august as we were on a fairly long winning streak to get us back into the WC race (not really but technically we were in it) and the ballpark was absolutely pathetically empty. 

Edit- and that was also in the midst of Stanton's unreal august.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Bruce Sherman is a corporate raider, all his moves so far are consistent with his modus operandi. He buys companies, guts for a profit and moves on. Check out what he did with Knight Ridder.

In this case, gutting for a profit was both necessary and the right baseball move.

400 million of the 1.2 billion was just debt inheritance.  Sherman also “only” paid I believe 400 million total in the sale. He’s majority owner but far from sole owner.

I realize that, just using his name as majority owner. I thought that debt was reduced from 400 to 100 million after the sale ?

I'm not a financial guy, but if the value of the team is listed at 940 million and Sherman paid 1.2, it seems like he left nearly all of Stanton's contract on the table. 

If the argument youre trying to make was that an owner who paid less would have kept stanton youre flat out wrong.  Stanton, despite his greatness, was going to go at some point soon due solely to the fact that his contract was unsustainable for a team in a market like this.  

If the argument youre trying to make was that an owner who paid less would have kept stanton youre flat out wrong.  Stanton, despite his greatness, was going to go at some point soon due solely to the fact that his contract was unsustainable for a team in a market like this.  

I disagree. the marlins drew 3 million their first year before undergoing teardown after teardown, with each one eroding the trust and support with the fans. There are worse things than keeping the Marlin's all-time HR leader to be the franchise cornerstone, even if he is overpaid.