Sports Illustrated Article on Jeter

A lot of great quotes and Jeter also gives his side of the story for many things that he says have been falsely reported on such as the dismissal of the 4 special assistants, the firing of Marty Scott, the details on the Stanton trade and the thought of him being threatened, and so much more.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/02/07/derek-jeter-miami-marlins?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Fantastic article, and another indication of how unfair the treatment of him has been.  He deserves criticism for a lot of stuff, but its clear that so much of the criticism he has gotten has been uninformed and unwarranted.  Especially from Barry Jackson and those ridiculous 5 post series about "Project wolverine" that wasnt even an up to date version of their plans.

My favorite part of this though is how much it appears he is finally trying to build a rapport with various south florida businesses.  That is something that takes time, but i think is incredibly valuable and i think is something that Loria gave up on after that 2012 offseason blue jays trade a year after opening the stadium

I dont know if its happened, but id love for Jeter to sit down with Micky Arison and even possibly Riley and just talk about how they run their organization because the heat really are one of the best run teams in sports both on the field and off.  I think that could be a great way for Jeter to learn some of the intricacies of running a team that it is fairly apparent early on in his ownership tenure that he isnt great at. 

This article was amazing, well written and the quotes were great. I really enjoyed the breakdown of what went on with the Stanton trade talks. None of that I had heard previously. Definitely excited to know that Jeter is working hard to get people invested into the team, whether the city of Miami or getting fans back to the ballpark.

This was one of the best Marlins-related articles I've ever seen. I hope all of those who spend every waking minute putting down Jeter for everything that happens will take the time to actually read this.

And that's kinda what drives me nuts. This article sits there explaining Jeter's side of the stories (whether you believe them or not) but people will still continue to quote the misinformation that was reported first. In fact Jeter brings this up in the article how sometimes even clarifying things doesn't work.

At the end of last season, with the Sherman-Jeter group only days into taking ownership of the Marlins, the team’s best player, Stanton, sat down with president of baseball operations Michael Hill and told him he wanted out if the team was going to go through a rebuild.

Stanton gave Hill a list of four teams to which he would accept a trade: the Dodgers, Cubs, Astros and Yankees. Hill called each of the four teams about Stanton. None showed interest. The Dodgers told Hill they had debt service issues and “couldn’t make the money work.” The Cubs told him they were squirreling away money to pay their core of young hitters. The Astros were satisfied with their outfield and DH depth. The Yankees had their eye on Japanese free agent pitcher/outfielder Shohei Ohtani.

“So I expanded the pool,” Hill says. “I talked to all 29 clubs. We got traction with St. Louis and San Francisco.”

Stanton agreed to meet with the Giants on Nov. 30 and Cardinals the next day in California, and then flew to Miami. He sat down with the Marlins executives on the morning of Dec. 5. It was the first time Jeter spoke with Stanton about trade scenarios.

“These are the only two clubs,” Hill told Stanton. “It’s in your hands.”

Says Hill, “It was written that we threatened him. How can you threaten a guy with a no-trade clause?”

The critics took shots at Jeter, too. Why didn’t he talk more with Stanton? Why shop him to teams not on his preferred list?

“I’m the president of baseball operations,” Hill says. “That’s not [Jeter’s] job. Unfounded and unfair. He’s the CEO. He’s got to get his arms around so many things in addition to baseball. [Trade talks], that’s my job. I bounced everything by him.”

Hill wanted the Yankees to take the entire $295 million remaining on Stanton’s contract—“You don’t want to send any money when you’re trading the reigning MVP,” he says—but he knew that “to get better quality players in return,” he would have to kick in cash. The Marlins included $30 million in the deal, getting back prospects Jorge Guzman, 22, a pitcher, and Jose Devers, 18, an infielder—a take that critics considered too light, driven more by finances than by talent.

“Anyone who makes that comment doesn’t understand what we do as general managers,” Hill says. “More than ever, there are so many smart people working in other front offices. They all have parameters to work with. A 10-year commitment and $295 million, you’re not talking about 29 clubs with the ability to take that contract. Anybody who says we didn’t get enough obviously never sat in this chair.”

Guest CHRISTYTOD

Outstanding article!  I am not the least bit surprised to read most of what I read. I think the South Florida media is horribly negative and bashing. It's really a shame because they could be spinning things optimistically to get fans interested. I guess they don't believe in "innocent until proven guilty". Shameful.

It's really a shame because they could be spinning things optimistically to get fans interested

Yes this. Especially because they know very well the mess Loria left for Jeter and should be more willing to help "preach the patience" as opposed to stirring up the negatives. If they won't do that then at least be unbiased and down the middle.

"Jeter is bound to quote Torre on baseball matters, such as on the use of advanced analytics. “This organization is way behind in the analytics department, so that’s something we’re focusing on,” Jeter says. “But I think there is a human element. Mr. T says it perfectly: Players have heartbeats. Analytics are great, but you still have to take the time to know the player  So there’s a hybrid in there."

This is not horrible news.

The issue with this article is that Jeter comes off as a liar. He seems to have a good answer to every question, and some of these answers just don't seem probable (Waltz being fired by FSN, despite contrary reports that they loved him)

I wouldn't use the word liar but I will admit that we don't have to believe everything he says. I do think that the article does at least remind us that "there's two sides to every story" and that, no matter which side we believe, either side could be wrong. 

I wouldn't use the word liar but I will admit that we don't have to believe everything he says. I do think that the article does at least remind us that "there's two sides to every story" and that, no matter which side we believe, either side could be wrong. 

The issue is that he doesn't deflect any of the question. He head-on answers them. If those direct answers are untrue, there is no other word to describe him. I have no proof that he's lying, but I believe it's a very real possibility. The answers were too perfect.

Sorry I don't buy much of what Jeter is selling here. I'll continue to think that a teardown wasn't necessary but then that's just my opinion. And I'll continue to think that the returns on the Stanton and Ozuna deals were very underwhelming and will hurt this team in the long run. It will take them that much longer to reach relevance. And if as Jeter indicated ownership is well funded with no impediments to making worthwhile cash outlays, then they should have put their money to good use in the Stanton deal when the opportunity was there. The Yankees with their plethora of A grade farm talent should have parted with at least one of those pieces, and I'd say two of them, and if it took the Sherman-Jeter group having to kick in more than 35M to make that happen they should have done it.

I'll profess, in any event, that I'm no fan of Jeter and his smugness. Also have always hated the Yankees. So he doesn't start in a good place with me. I hope Jeter succeeds with the team, swearing off the Marlins is just not an easy thing for me to do, I've been a fan from the beginning. But the next couple of years of 100 loss seasons will be very hard to take.    

I think there’s very little chance the Marlins lose 100 games in 2019.

They might not even lose 100 this year (but it will be realllly close). 

Completely agree.  I dont see it being anywhere near how bad the astros and cubs bottomed out because they didnt have the benefit of having quality major leaguers to deal to start the rebuild.  Both teams essentially started with nothing, which makes both of their rebuilds even more impressive, but thats besides the point.  I see us being around 100 losses this year but progress being shown towards the end of the year as prospects start coming up, then around 85-90 in 2019, and then around .500 + in 2020.

Honestly curious why you think this. 

i think they will be around 100, but just as a best case scenario for why he might think that, I think we might keep some of these guys like Bour, Straily, Castro, Prado, Barraclough, etc into the season and not trade them until the deadline which would reduce some of the losing, and then i think at least a few of these prospects we've gotten will come up and be at least respectable.  I dont think people realize how hard it is to be below 60 wins.

They'll dodge 100 if they keep everyone they currently have until the deadline, sign a veteran OF and # 4 SP who is useful, and then Brinson, Anderson, Sierra, Peters, Gallen, and the rest of them can pick up the slack as immediate productive MLB players when they get called up to replace guys.

However, I don't expect that to happen as I expect at least 2-3 more preseason trades, someone (like Prado, Dietrich, Rojas, whoever) totally bombs, and some prospect(s) aren't going to work out at least immediate.

I'll take the under on 64.5 right now pending further moves, but the strong over that the team is doing the right thing scorching earth.