Countdown to 25th Anniversary Weekend

I think it's obvious a rebrand is coming.  The Dimelo surveys indicate that.

A few things we know:

-more use of black in team messaging, advertising, branding, etc.

-Reduced lime green at the ballpark (coincides with more black)

-As mentioned, Dimelo surveys asking about unis.

My take:

- I view the use of more black as just being an easy way to kill two birds with one stone in the short term - 1) reduce the bright colors of the current logo/script (especially orange), and 2) it's an "easy" neutral color that allows them to really go any direction in a new look.

- Changing the backstop from green to black to me indicates they don't like the lime green and want to change it.  Now it looks like any other park on TV

---

I'll address the walls first before getting into the uniforms/logo.......While I've come to like (or at least tolerate) the lime green walls, a change wouldn't bother me, depending on the change.  If the keep it, I do believe that the lime green is best used sparingly - meaning only on the walls of the field around the field (including the backstop).  I do NOT like it up on the walls beyond the field (like how it used to be on the area below the Budweiser bar that's now the red State Farm wall, or the area below the home run porch/around the super column - that's where it becomes too much/too bright.  If they do change (which I think is coming), I do NOT want this to be Yankee Stadium south with some dark navy blue walls devoid of any personality.  This move would also have to coincide with a logo/team colors change, but I would vote for 3 options in no particular order:

1. Teal (which would be appropriate if they bring teal back

2. The blue used in the current logo (if they retain some parts of the current setup....I bought one of the blue jerseys and love it)

3. The WBC blue, which looked good, though that has no team ties.

Regarding the uniforms.  When a change is to be made, I think it has to be back to teal as the primary color.  I get the argument for "this is baseball, we need traditional!", but let's be real - we're a young team at only 25 years old; we have a modern ballpark.  We are not a traditional team.  I'm not arguing to have our uniforms designed by Britto with 8 million coloors, but turning us into the Miami Yankees would be a mistake.  I don't think we need teal uniforms every night (use that only on throwback days, or Sunday day games or something), but have teal be the main color.  Bring it back to the teal and black, with silver accents.

Away uniforms - gray or black tops, gray pants, teal or black hats

Home uniforms - white or black tops, white pants, teal or black hats

(Sparingly used) Alternate - Teal tops, white pants, black or teal hats

I don't even think I'd mind seeing teal pinstripes on the home unis.

The use of more black in the ballpark, team messaging, advertising, branding, etc. could also just be a one year thing too. Just saying that it's probably 50/50 whether or not it's a sign for the future or just their choice for 2018 with zero bearing on future plans. It's not impossible all of that changes to something else next year. 

The use of more black in the ballpark, team messaging, advertising, branding, etc. could also just be a one year thing too. Just saying that it's probably 50/50 whether or not it's a sign for the future or just their choice for 2018 with zero bearing on future plans. It's not impossible all of that changes to something else next year. 

That was my point - it's a short term "lessen the rainbow" of the current stuff this year before changing to the new look (whether that be next year or the year after).  When I was saying it's a sign they're changing, I didn't necessarily mean that black will be a major color in a new look, just that it was indicating a move away from the current look.

Well, I would argue that the color those teams use is not really teal per se or doesn't really resemble the Marlins teal.

Also, I would argue that their teal-ish colors are not the dominant colors for both teams. The Diamondbacks have sandstone red as their primary color and "teal" is more of an accent color on alternate uniforms.

The Mariners have a teal-ish color on some alternate jerseys, but for the most part their look is dominated  by a dark navy blue.

This is correct.

If we wanna look at designation of primary secondary and tertiary colors in of those teams' color schemes the DBacks teal is tertiary and is only used in 2 of their 6 uniforms and the Mariners teal is secondary to their navy blue.

Neither of them use teal as their primary color.

And as far as specific hue of color the DBacks teal is definitely a lighter shade, almost like a pale mint shade of teal. The Mariners teal is closer to what the Marlins used but I have always thought it may be slightly darker, their name for it has always actually been "Northwest Green".

Nothing official here but just gathering high quality logo images here's a comparison of the 3, pretty sure the Mariners green doesn't appear this dark in reality though...

[ATTACH]2001._xfImport[/ATTACH]

pixlr_20180602004040432_20180602004313231.thumb.jpg.a428787b3be6798f7d03a09cd2f0fa57.jpg

I'm undecided, but not yet convinced it's an aesthetic improvement.

My simple reasoning is, there's white around the wordmark on the jersey so it fits around the cap logo. I think it makes the logo pop more. The centering of the logo based on the F is almost a unanimous improvement I think. 

The centering is definitely an improvement. I am not trying to come off as a downer, because I'm ecstatic that they are bringing back the retro uniforms at all, if only briefly. Loria would have never considered this.

For once I totally get what you're saying and it isn't being a downer. What you're wondering about is absolutely an inaccuracy and is worth questioning. 

As for Loria they did wear the 1997 alternate vests in a 2007 game vs the Indians under his watch. I'd imagine Loria would have at least done one throwback game this season if he was still owner. He didn't love the old uniforms but if he did it in 07 it wouldn't have surprised me to see him do it this year. 

I know I’m not hip enough but the only word I can think of is “Fresh” when describing these. This looks even better than I remembered. All the social media post are being flooded with “being back this look.” Jeter would be crazy not to make that one concession when he already has a lot of haters, rightfully or wrongfully.

The hat is an improvement. I’ve always hated the off center F and frankly didn’t even notice the white outline until Penguino mentioned it. Don’t mind it one way or another compared to centered-off centered “F” which would have driven me crazy. 

For once I totally get what you're saying and it isn't being a downer. What you're wondering about is absolutely an inaccuracy and is worth questioning. 

As for Loria they did wear the 1997 alternate vests in a 2007 game vs the Indians under his watch. I'd imagine Loria would have at least done one throwback game this season if he was still owner. He didn't love the old uniforms but if he did it in 07 it wouldn't have surprised me to see him do it this year. 

I actually have a Miguel Olivo game with vest that Piazza picked up for me at a team sale a few years back. Those things were awesome and I definitely liked the majestic cut jerseymore then the old Russells.

Thanks for the clarification on low profile. So basically players have a choice on which to wear? Any sense on how many opt for that as opposed to the regular?

I never knew players could choose either, interesting stuff. I thought it was fans that had the choice.

How many people actually buy the various iterations of Mother's/Father's/Memorial/Independence day caps that are constantly issued every year? I feel like I never see fans wear anything of that sort.

Probably not too many but some do I'm sure. There are people that collect hats, like people that collect sneakers.